Stonetone Granite vs Brass A/B test

jkkkjkhk

Hey guys, so from the Stonetone thread I'm sure many of you remember I decided to contact the owner about making him a video. I said he send me a block, I make a couple of videos doing a comparison, I keep the block. He agreed and here we are. He wasn't the most popular guy in the other thread but I wanted to remain unbiased, and my experience he's been very friendly since our first conversation. The guitar I tried it in was a 1990 Jackson Rhoads Pro with JB/Jazz pickups. For the comparison I used a Mesa Mark III blue stripe into an Egnater 2x12 with vintage 30s. Miked up with a SM57 into a fast track into garageband, and made sure to have new strings before recording. I also captured the EQ curve of both blocks, recorded dry with an Apogee Jam. I went from the stock thin brass block to the granite block to a brass big block I had purchased for this test, I didn't include the stock block in the recordings however. So from going between the granite block and the big brass block I felt there was a difference in the high end. Not a huge difference, but at least noticeable. I'm going to try it on another guitar next, might have a bigger effect on a different guitar. Either way big difference, small difference, no difference... the block is interesting and it was cool to get to try one. Now it'd be cool to get to hear steel, brass, titanium, aluminum, tungsten, granite... all in one test.
What do you guys think? Do you hear a difference, which do you prefer?

BTW, this is my first video so please be gentle. :D

Clean

Gain

The first EQ curve is the A string 440hz on the bridge pickup. Stonetone is white, brass is purple.

The second curve is a strumming passage on the bridge pickup. Stonetone is blue, brass is yellow.

Thank you for doing stonetones job for them. Real data to consider, wow.

For me the brass sounds much better in your video, the stone has a harshness i dont like comparatively.

Now I am certain i will never bother with one.

Same here. I'm not a Floyd guy in the first place, but I thought the 2nd half sounded better. Hard to tell not in my hands though.

Which did you like, Joel?

First off nice job, this was a much needed first step towards the proving or disproving of some bold claims.

Based on these clips I find it hard to tell if the granite block achieves its claims of increased sustain. I think hearing chords allowed to ring out as well as some single notes allowed to sustain would be ideal.

That said, regardless of sustain or what I didn't hear, the top end harshness I did hear is a deal breaker for me. I'm sticking with brass.

Steinmetzify":2rcppslt said:
Which did you like, Joel?

Hard to say, the difference is small enough where I'd be perfectly fine with either in my guitar. I'm leaving the brass in the Rhoads because I did brass last and I don't want to do anymore block swapping right now, but I'll try the granite in another guitar.

moltenmetalburn":24lc7wz2 said:
Thank you for doing stonetones job for them. Real data to consider, wow.

For me the brass sounds much better in your video, the stone has a harshness i dont like comparatively.

Now I am certain i will never bother with one.

I gotta get better speakers, thru my cheap laptop speakers there is a difference but not sure I would call it harsh....was this on the single, double tracked stuff or both?

With that said that original thread was quite hilarious with no basis or fact to back their claims, but I'm pretty sure from reading your posts on that other thread you were never gonna buy one even if you liked the tone :LOL: :LOL:

Back