Studio Monitors for modeling gear

giphy.gif

jk... The white is a cool look for a studio.

~ss

I ended up going with the Kali LP6 V2. Pretty sweet man, and sound very close to my headphones which is nice

I was feeling artsy earlier…

IMG_5981.jpeg

Figured I might as well go balls deep in digital and invest in an actual studio desk of some sort. Gonna start moving some pedals I haven’t touched since lockdown lol. The shelf I use now was not made for rocking
I'm loving my Kemper...

GC has some nice studio desk... if you go the GC route let me know and I can get you hooked up.

I like this one and I think there is a white version.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Studio...ual-4U-Racks-Cherry-1301508431102.gc?cntry=us

~ss

I would get something that has coaxial/coincident drivers so you can have better vertical directivity (so you can move around) and avoid anything that has DSP because you don’t want any latency maybe something like Tannoy Gold 8

I am going to need a white one lol.
The walls are also white so I’m gonna have give a couple of them some color at some point.
Maybe a comfy Edgecomb Grey to match the shit Amazon carpet I put down
i’ll see what I can find…

And on a side note… Baby Metal, Death Clock and Jason Richardson are in Nashville Tuesday but I’ll be out of town… I would’ve gone to that show.

~ss

Last edited:
I ended up going with the Kali LP6 V2. Pretty sweet man, and sound very close to my headphones which is nice

I was feeling artsy earlier…

View attachment 243872

May I ask how you are liking the LP-6's and do you find them noisy? I know hiss was an issue with the first version and apparently it's been improved with a quieter power amp in V2. I think the one thing that'd drive me crazy is hiss. Currently debating between the LP-6s, Yamaha HS series, and Neumann KH120s for monitors to use with Captor X and Axe FM3.

I bought these for the basement computer.. They're little but crank.. They have larger models to fit your needs..

Amazon product ASIN B075QVMBT9
I can attest to this. I have the 3.5's as well as the E8's. For $100 the are utterly amazing little beasts. Mine live on top of my 8's, I had my doubts when I bought them, but within 30 seconds I knew that they were worth the purchase.
IMG_20221026_073418842.jpg

May I ask how you are liking the LP-6's and do you find them noisy? I know hiss was an issue with the first version and apparently it's been improved with a quieter power amp in V2. I think the one thing that'd drive me crazy is hiss. Currently debating between the LP-6s, Yamaha HS series, and Neumann KH120s for monitors to use with Captor X and Axe FM3.
So far I am really liking them. I am most impressed by the low end response. Even with my 7 string dropped down to A, the palm mutes are deep but still tight. I can't say I've noticed any high hiss or even ear fatigue in general when using them. Much less compared to my open back headphones for sure. I leave them on 24/7 and wouldn't even know they were on aside from the tiny indicator light on the front.

I've only used my Kemper through them so far but plan on trying out my captor X through them soon. I'll be sure to update once I do

Cheers

So far I am really liking them. I am most impressed by the low end response. Even with my 7 string dropped down to A, the palm mutes are deep but still tight. I can't say I've noticed any high hiss or even ear fatigue in general when using them. Much less compared to my open back headphones for sure. I leave them on 24/7 and wouldn't even know they were on aside from the tiny indicator light on the front.

I've only used my Kemper through them so far but plan on trying out my captor X through them soon. I'll be sure to update once I do

Cheers
Nice! Glad to hear about the low end response and lack of hiss. And yes, please let us know how the Captor X sounds with it (y)

What are you guys using??

I’ve finally accepted that at this stage of my life, playing loud just wont be a thing for a while. So I’m slowly moving all my big iron and decided to focus on a decent kemper set up.
Still 90% of my playing will be through headphones, but I’d like some powered monitors for the times I can make a little noise.

I’d say the room is 10x15. Lots of reflective surfaces at the moment, but I recently ransacked a bunch of rehearsal rooms before demolition so I am intending to give the room a treatment

Thanks!!
For home studio use, the HS8 is the gold standard. I’d avoid any FRFR of PA type speaker as you will sacrifice accuracy for power

Back