Suggestions for speakers in a 212 for high wattage heads

chris lykins

Hey guys,
Just picked up a Bogner 212 which came loaded with a greenback and g12H. Don't think this will handle my 101, KSR Gemini or Hagen safely. What would you guys recommend for predominantly rock gigs. FYI, I have an oversized Reinhardt cab loaded with a V30 and g12h for home use volumes.
Thanks!

Through the years I've put numerous speaker combinations in my Bogner OS2x12 and ultimately ended up putting the V30s that came in it back in because I think they sound the most balanced and have a higher power rating. The one speaker I did not try and might is Creambacks in it.

Stick with V30s or a new favorite of mine, creamback 65M’s, that’s my opinion. I am not a fan of high wattage speakers at all when it comes to high gain. Getting the speakers to move and not be incredibly clean is part of “the sound” in my opinion. The speakers will handle those amps just fine.

Depending how loud you're running it, I have 3 current favorite mixes and all three have 1 V30 in common;
1) V30 + G12-65 (not the Creamback)
2) V30 + G12K85/K100. More heft and punch.
3) V30 + vintage ('85-'88ish) G12T75. Do NOT use the later T75 models.

I gig with the #1 combo, with an EVH 5150III 50W 6L6; very nice combo.
#1 will tame the highs the most; #2 will add body the most and #3 yields the most 'rawk' character and crunch.
All three combinations improve on the low-end and low mids, compared to just using 2xV30.

Thanks for the suggestions ! Pretty loud when gigging, usually no front of house other than vocals and the kick.
Is the G12 the heritage edition with the whiteish cap?

Last edited:
I'm running a V30 + Creamback 75, it's doing it for me. Sounds thicker than the v30+G12-65 in there previously.

I use 65 watt creambacks in a 2x12 and alnico creams in a pair of bogner cubes. I prefer the bogner cubes with the alnicos.

Eminence Swamp Thangs. They're 150 watt beasts that sound damn good. I put a couple in a 2x12 myself. Big, bold and chunky. Really relaxed highs and mids, but I'd rather add them than have speakers that I'm fighting shrill and honky.

Back