That dude Reza's videos

All my personal dealings with Reza were nothing but positive so I won't say anything bad about him, he even tried to help me get a rare ESP off of Craigslist a number of years ago.

I just don't like how his amp clips sound, he seems to have all this expensive equipment to mic and record everything but my iPhone amp clips come out sounding way better than his "pro" recorded clips. :scared:

Kapo_Polenton":3n4c3np6 said:
His video above of the SLO reminds me of what I didn't like... for a guy who is such a pro he has shit audio. I remember telling him that (in nicer words) and he didn't like it because his ears are golden. He needs to learn how to place a mic because dead on isn't the only place to put them nor is jammed up to the grill. So yeah as I had eluded to, he can be a prick and he is def. not an authority. He might be good for listening to amps though, that's fine. Just go watch his vids and don't bother posting.
Yep it sounds like straight in front of the dust cap, if he offset it some it'd lose a lot of the high end fizz and shrill.

Put those tones in a mix though and that high end is required to cut through, especially if there's lots of cymbals.

His recordings are on par with how pros pull sounds for albums, which is generally a lot brighter with a lot less low end than most people realise. Gotta make some room for that bass player :thumbsup:

Tell us more..

49820019271_2fe5b8f4a8_b.jpg

I discovered Reza's videos a few years ago and found them to be an invaluable resource insofar as hearing pretty much all the hot/much-discussed/legendary/darling high gain amps out there. While his content isn't on-par with the likes of Thorn, Pierce, Phil X, Rappaport, etc.- and I don't think he tries to make it come off as such-, it is very high quality for "just a guy who likes gear". His recordings are imo very well done, and show off what the amps are about pretty well. His playing is also decent and doesn't really get in the way of highlighting what we're all there for; the amps. Not a big fan of his effects use, but I get that he's trying to show how they interact with the sound. All in all, have been a fan of his channel for the service it provides for at least a few years now. But after the recent SLO ordeal which I watched unfold on fb, I started to lose some respect for him. Hyperbole is a common thing in the gear world which is exacerbated when you're in the honeymoon period or when you're trying to protect an investment/keep it desirable until you can dump it. And Reza's videos-- or, more specifically, his comment replies under them-- were especially lush with hyperbole; always stuff like "it absolutely kills that amp" or "smokes it, night and day", "not even close", etc. I find that shit extremely childish, but I get it- I have been that guy myself in the past. What didn't bode very well however was how the recent SLO-centred events unfolded. He was raving about the amp for three days straight, praising it to the sky, claiming it's a night and day better amp to the "old" SLO, that it blows it out of the water, etc. etc. Kept going on about how the new amp was so much better. And then just a few hours later on day three of hyping it up he lists it for sale. That made zero sense to me. I get that a persons situation can change in an instant and funds must be allocated quickly, and I hope it's nothing of the sort with his situation, however it just rubbed me the wrong way. He was praising that thing the very same morning that he dumped it on Reverb. Lame. Personally, I thought the old SLO from his SLO clip a few years ago sounded a lot better with a much more pleasing top end and midrange, but that's just me. I have no dog in this race, I have never owned a Soldano product, nor do I currently own one. Anyways, I have always dug his videos, but don't dig the way he conducted himself recently with this Soldano business. Many of his comment replies have been snarky/entitled/arrogant under his vids for a while now, but I overlooked it as I found his vids a good resource- dude needs a reality check though, and to be humbled a bit.

aside":34wjxe8o said:
midnightlaundry":34wjxe8o said:
Tell us more..

49820019271_2fe5b8f4a8_b.jpg

I'm new here, what am I missing?
I'm guessing he thinks you might be Reza :D

I did think Reza's vids were ok for a while, but they seem to be getting brighter and brighter. Maybe after all the years in the biz around loud amps, his high frequency hearing is starting to fade. He wouldn't be the first guy.....

Shit, I just got busted... (rips off mask Scooby Doo style).

Bloody hell, tough crowd... I made one comment saying the guy's tone is good, never even heard of him until I joined this forum! Is this a hazing or did I press some buttons by giving some unpopular dude credit?

I'd like to hang around here, hear some cool stuff, learn, offer my own experiences etc - if anyone wants to suss me out shoot me a PM and I'll happily share my details... or maybe I can post a pic holding today's newspaper... like the Australian or Sydney Gazette :D

aside":131aphdf said:

Bloody hell, tough crowd... I made one comment saying the guy's tone is good, never even heard of him until I joined this forum! Is this a hazing or did I press some buttons by giving some unpopular dude credit?

I'd like to hang around here, hear some cool stuff, learn, offer my own experiences etc - if anyone wants to suss me out shoot me a PM and I'll happily share my details... or maybe I can post a pic holding today's newspaper... like the Australian or Sydney Gazette :D
What are you doing down under Reza? Lol jk.

I liked Reza's videos. But he was a snarky poster in others threads.

And I'll make a (possibly unfair) comparison.

When we saw jason(killertone) vids,or Pete thorn or jerevil or others,we saw great tones and playing followed by great interactions with others. Now I know that is the high bar,but even most of the more mediocre or less vids posted here are by people who are rarely rude to others. Encouragement is a good thing in life.

But Reza did enjoy being a dick. But when others here bashed his race or fetishes,that kinda went too far,IMO. Yes...this is rigtalk. The "wild west" of guitar forums. It would have been far better to just call out the dickish behaviour and not go past that. And he didn't even take that well if I remember correctly.

I could care less who comes and goes here. It's not like I have to like anyone,and vice versa. I miss stevek...but that's about it. I don't miss Reza,but I liked his videos. But I'm easily impressed.

aside":3spmurha said:

Hey, it's all good! Welcome to the forum. just kidding around. :LOL: :LOL:
If you knew the back story, you'd get it.
I'm pretty sure Reza has been back here once or twice with a new handle. He had a distinctive brand of snarky reply to any posts that didn't give him a virtual reach-around. I kinda miss the vids, but I dont miss the douchbag-ery that came with him. That video he posted after he pulled the chute at the Guitar Gear forum was classic sulky, cry baby Reza.

Ha, all good. Yes this thread points to him being a major dickhead so maybe it was just inopportune timing from me.

Kinda love this forum btw, cheers!

Nobody has documented modded marshalls like the man and for that I salute him, capturing audio from a guitar amp isnt easy, if you understand his process you can tell the differences between the amps he demos.

I wish he did demos with a variety of speakers. Some heads sound phenomenal with certain matchups, and can sound like a tin can with others.

Back