The Birth of Shred

1977.... a pair of 100 watt Marshalls and a Les Paul....all the ingredients were there + the flaming chops.

Race with the Devil on a Spanish Highway

The intro reminds me of heavy metal fatigue by holdsworth…. Bad ass.. I met Al dimiola in 90 at GIT in Hollywood.. maybe it was an off day. But he was a dick. Acted as if he was the next coming. Late.. blazee about the class tutorial. Still had greezy suntan lotion on from the pool (why he was late). The instructors at MI were even bitchin’. At the time I didn’t care because he was the shit. But the older I get and realize time is our most precious commodity, I have come to the conclusion he was a dick. Having said that, if I could play like him I would be a pecker too 😏

Funny what non musicians or hack musicians call 'shred' play some fast hammer on/pull offs and they think that's 'Shred' :censored:

Like the term 'metal' it meant something totally different in the the early 80's than it does today.
My take is Jimi took basic blues soling and took it up 10 notches then of course EVH turned everything sideways -Forever.

Yngwie did his neo thing, then Vinnie Moore brought the modal happy melodic shredding that I really dug! Just my 2 cents!

Well, then there's this to consider... this guy was Ritchie Blackmores favorite guitar player:

Jimmy Bryant
Stratosphere Boogie

Back