The passing of the torch

LP Freak

My daughter has dabbled on guitar for some time now but never really got serious and I never pushed the issue. It’s been a few years since even picked one up but recently said “dad, I want to play guitar” and I could tell at that moment that the time had finally come so today she got her first guitar. She‘s played sax for years so is somewhat musically inclined but I can’t wait to see where she takes this. It feels good to finally pass the torch 😎
0631A7AE-6045-4B0E-ADCD-CF9EB686D021.jpeg

That’s great man. Good for her! You’ll have a new jamming partner soon. That’s awesome.

Hopefully she sticks with it and keeps playing. There are much worse things out there for kids to do. Music is great !

Cheers to her wanting to learn on her own! Must be a proud moment - hopefully she sticks to it :)
I remember when my daughter picked up the guitar.
I gave her these really cool guitar lessons.
The usual but after each lesson, we would pick a song of choice, usually The Beatles, and distinguish each musical instruments being played.
Like Pantera’s “A New Level”, where the super-palm mutes don’t come until after the riff is played open.
If Jason Vorhee’s was present in every scene Friday the 13th, he would lose his credibility or if you had to take direction from Donald Trump,
Or if Freddy was your neighbor A Nightmare on Elm Street loses it’s edge (besides the dude who gets sliced & diced inside the mattress in the bed scene!!!!! That’s pretty rad man!).
In other words, save the scary monster for the RIGHT moments, not all-time.
Anticipation & Precipitation on dial,
…harness that!!!!
And you have the sound of The Rolling Stones.

-it was mostly those amazing Lennon pre-choruses, gosh, when the chords & melody come thru, it’s like an artifact..so rad.
Really giving us the vibe that, yep, Lennon definitely should have been a musician for a living.

-The issue nowadays is kids have so many distractions and stimulation at their fingertips.
Now our job is to guide their efforts through all these distractions.

I didn’t even have a Atari or Nintendo, I just wanted to be Dave Navarro and Larry Lalonde & learn “The Rain Song” someday..
Burning’ that midnight oil…
Kids only burn the midnight oil on the internet unfortunately, can you blame’em?

It was this song that killed hair-metal for me.
And yes, I play the intro 12 string acoustic opener’ riff correctly now, 31 years later..
Damn dude’s where did it all go…up in a flash.

Last edited:
I remember when my daughter picked up the guitar.
I gave her these really cool guitar lessons.
The usual but after each lesson, we would pick a song of choice, usually The Beatles, and distinguish each musical instruments being played.
Like Pantera’s “A New Level”, where the super-palm mutes don’t come until after the riff is played open.
If Jason Vorhee’s was present in every scene Friday the 13th, he would lose his credibility or if you had to take direction from Donald Trump,
Or if Freddy was your neighbor A Nightmare on Elm Street loses it’s edge (besides the dude who gets sliced & diced inside the mattress in the bed scene!!!!! That’s pretty rad man!).
In other words, save the scary monster for the RIGHT moments, not all-time.
Anticipation & Precipitation on dial,
…harness that!!!!
And you have the sound of The Rolling Stones.

-it was mostly those amazing Lennon pre-choruses, gosh, when the chords & melody come thru, it’s like an artifact..so rad.
Really giving us the vibe that, yep, Lennon definitely should have been a musician for a living.

-The issue nowadays is kids have so many distractions and stimulation at their fingertips.
Now our job is to guide their efforts through all these distractions.

I didn’t even have a Atari or Nintendo, I just wanted to be Dave Navarro and Larry Lalonde & learn “The Rain Song” someday..
Burning’ that midnight oil…
Kids only burn the midnight oil on the internet unfortunately, can you blame’em?

It was this song that killed hair-metal for me.
And yes, I play the intro 12 string acoustic opener’ riff correctly now, 31 years later..
Damn dude’s where did it all go…up in a flash.

I have no idea what you mean here

My daughter has dabbled on guitar for some time now but never really got serious and I never pushed the issue. It’s been a few years since even picked one up but recently said “dad, I want to play guitar” and I could tell at that moment that the time had finally come so today she got her first guitar. She‘s played sax for years so is somewhat musically inclined but I can’t wait to see where she takes this. It feels good to finally pass t

maybe...electric guitar strings ? if her fingers start hurting...so it doesn't discourage her...?

Back