This is how thrash is done...

Havok is truly insane. Criminally under appreciated as well. “V” is still a reference for one of my all time favorite sounding records. It’s the reason I bought a driftwood purple nightmare and an Engl cab with 65 watt creambacks.

I love thrash but that sounds as generic as it gets. Those guys are tight as hell but those riffs would have already been dated in 1991. Sorry not sorry.

Havok is truly insane. Criminally under appreciated as well. “V” is still a reference for one of my all time favorite sounding records. It’s the reason I bought a driftwood purple nightmare and an Engl cab with 65 watt creambacks.
Unnatural Selection was probably the tipping point for me. Abnoxiously good tone, better production than the previous and the XXX II/EVH combo absolutely crushes..

Conformicide was precise and polished, V is probably my least favorite. Has some killer stuff, but half is kinda weak.

I love thrash but that sounds as generic as it gets. Those guys are tight as hell but those riffs would have already been dated in 1991. Sorry not sorry.
They matured musically, listen to later albums. To me, Afterburner is very old school, for sure. Maybe dated to some, but it's a toe-tapper. Brings the goods. The production isn't nearly as polished as they're newer stuff. That's the 90's you hear.

Try this on for size.. Unless you're an epileptic 🤣

Last edited:
"Time is up" was the one that hooked me.
Heard "Covering fire" on Liquid Metal and pulled my truck over and ordered the CD.
The new wave of old school thrash bands gave me hope,but as stated above its a lot of rehashing.... as to be expected.
If your writing in the manner of your heroes,you will sound like them. Dated.
But it's still better for me than a lot of the new stuff I hear on satellite radio.
I'd rather listen to technically adept thrash than Ghost.

Havok is fucking rad. Have loved them for a while. Their middle albums are their best work, IMO, with "Time Is Up" being at the top. Honestly feel their last couple albums have been slowly going downwards in wiriting, as it seems David is leaning a little into the cheese too much for my personal taste, but dude is still a incredibly talented writer, guitarist and vocalist.

Reece is a ridiculously good lead guitarist and a super nice dude. My guitarist and I went to hang with him at a show in Cleveland a few years ago, as he takes lessons from Reece. Couldn't have been a nicer guy, and they put on a hell of a show even thoug there were only about 20 people there.

hate to say i agree, i want to like newer thrash bands and these dudes certainly rip, cant say after hearing the songs in this thread though im compelled to hear more though :dunno:

I love me some thrash metal and no denying these guys have really tight riffs. BUT if it weren't for the vocals I'd have a hard time telling a number of thrash bands apart. Then again it's hard to be original or stand out if your playing a style that's mostly gun metal grey.

Havok is fucking rad. Have loved them for a while. Their middle albums are their best work, IMO, with "Time Is Up" being at the top. Honestly feel their last couple albums have been slowly going downwards in wiriting, as it seems David is leaning a little into the cheese too much for my personal taste, but dude is still a incredibly talented writer, guitarist and vocalist.

Reece is a ridiculously good lead guitarist and a super nice dude. My guitarist and I went to hang with him at a show in Cleveland a few years ago, as he takes lessons from Reece. Couldn't have been a nicer guy, and they put on a hell of a show even thoug there were only about 20 people there.
Totally agree on the cheese factor. TIU is still my favorite Havok album with zero cheese content whatsoever, and also my favorite production and guitar tone. I dig all of their stuff, but that album is lightning a bottle. Live, they’re a fucking wrecking ball.

Alright, I knew there was a Havok song I'd heard before that stood out to me. This is it. I wish more of their stuff was as well written and catchy as this chorus (1:10)

Back