thread on larry amps and who he says ripped him off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I'm missing who ripped him off besides maybe doctors? Are you referring to his specs/design?

I love Jon's Tone...always have. I used to look for Larry amps around 98-2000 all the time and could never find dick. That being said, sounds like throwing huge money and waiting 2-3 years for an amp bothered some. I agree. that's just too long for me. And you know now more than 10 years ago, people want everything now! With amazon, internet, and other stuff, they get stuff fast.

PS: The wifey got me Alive in Athens vinyl for Christmas...huge fan. tones are tight and delicious

Sounds like Larry is the one ripping people off.
People send him deposits and all his delivers is excuses and not results.
If you're building someones amp, and suddenly have health problems, or tax issues or whatever, you'd better communicate and resolve that shit FAST. Where i'm from, you don't play with peoples money :gethim:

Sounds like he`s talking about Gower and I guess Fortin. If the guy cant build an amp in 18 months he needs to go in business with Marc cameron

panhead":kj460f6o said:
Sounds like he`s talking about Gower and I guess Fortin. If the guy cant build an amp in 18 months he needs to go in business with Marc cameron

No. Definitely Fartin.

From Larry’s Facebook post 9-16-2018:

“And now for once I'll be very courageously, because now I even show you some very detailled photos of the inside, very detailled photos of the circuitry of my new flag ship DINO 962 :) Photos so detailled, that you even can read the color codes of the resistors, the values of the foil capacitors and that you can track almost every wire from the eyelet boards to the pots, tubes, switches, aso. And I show it not only to you enthusiasts, gear heads and technical interested people all over the world, but I show it also to YOU amp designers AND to all those, which are hyped as "master(s) of high gain", but which rather have to be titled as "master(s) of plagiarism" ;) No I don't speak about reputable people like Mike Soldano, Steve Fryette, Reinhold Bogner, Peter Diezel, Rick Saint Pierre, Mark Cameron aso, just to mention a few – no, I'm not speaking about those, which do have their own ideas, which have done their own R&D and which haven't to look into the circuit designs of others for creating awesome sounding amplifiers by their own. To whom/which this text is concerned will recognize it instantly by himself/themselves 8-| Now go and download these photos, make it big & bigger, to figure out all details and also my circuitry secrets – nonetheless you won't be able, to plagiarize anything, what's sounding close to a Larry and no, it's not the missing Mojo (Mojo doesn't sound, this is a rumor), but the absence of real own ideas ;) If you maybe can't recognize enough details on these photos, simply drop me an email and I'd send you more photos of HiQ. You haven't to order an amp from me once again, so you'd save money this time :) But believe me, there's much more required, plagiarizing a Larry amp (or this amp partially) successfully and convincingly, than only photos, or the amp itself, to re-engineer it completely :p You've already failed in the past – and you'd fail in future again & again :D But now enough of the rant! Here we go:

And now for once I'll be very courageously, because now I even show you some very detailled photos of the inside, very detailled photos of the circuitry of my new flag ship DINO 962 :)
Photos so detailled, that you even can read the color codes of the resistors, the values of the foil capacitors and that you can track almost every wire from the eyelet boards to the pots, tubes, switches, aso.
And I show it not only to you enthusiasts, gear heads and technical interested people all over the world, but I show it also to YOU amp designers AND to all those, which are hyped as "master(s) of high gain", but which rather have to be titled as "master(s) of plagiarism" ;)
No I don't speak about reputable people like Mike Soldano, Steve Fryette, Reinhold Bogner, Peter Diezel, Rick Saint Pierre, Mark Cameron aso, just to mention a few – no, I'm not speaking about those, which do have their own ideas, which have done their own R&D and which haven't to look into the circuit designs of others for creating awesome sounding amplifiers by their own.
To whom/which this text is concerned will recognize it instantly by himself/themselves 8-|
Now go and download these photos, make it big & bigger, to figure out all details and also my circuitry secrets – nonetheless you won't be able, to plagiarize anything, what's sounding close to a Larry and no, it's not the missing Mojo (Mojo doesn't sound, this is a rumor), but the absence of real own ideas ;)
If you maybe can't recognize enough details on these photos, simply drop me an email and I'd send you more photos of HiQ. You haven't to order an amp from me once again, so you'd save money this time :)
But believe me, there's much more required, plagiarizing a Larry amp (or this amp partially) successfully and convincingly, than only photos, or the amp itself, to re-engineer it completely :p
You've already failed in the past – and you'd fail in future again & again :D
But now enough of the rant! Here we go:”

Wizard which amp or mod did Fortin take from it?

I've never uploaded clips on YouTube, because I've never had enough time left over, to produce adequate clips of my amps.
Have you seen, who's uploaded the DINO clips on YouTube?
You probably know, who "gainmonster" is?

Just for the case you don't know:
It's a guy who has introduced himself ONLY as an enthusiastic guitar player and a frenetic gear head, nothing else - this has been back already in 2004
Then he was placing lots of very special technically questions to me via email from 2004 to 2006 (my mail count says 274 emails back & forth with him).
Then he's ordered two amps from me. A DINO 939 in 2006 and a British Purist in 2007
Just 6 months after he got the 2nd amp from me, he suddenly was founding his own amp company.

One thing I will say is...I know a few who have a Larry. They've had Wizards, 2C+s, SLOs, modded Marshalls X50. All those have been sold, and they still have the Larry. And, when was the last time you saw one for sale? I for one have NEVER seen one come up. So they must be pretty damn good. Would I pay that kind of cash and wait a few yrs? I don't think I'd have the patience for it lol.

Racerxrated":18jeqyk2 said:
One thing I will say is...I know a few who have a Larry. They've had Wizards, 2C+s, SLOs, modded Marshalls X50. All those have been sold, and they still have the Larry. And, when was the last time you saw one for sale? I for one have NEVER seen one come up. So they must be pretty damn good. Would I pay that kind of cash and wait a few yrs? I don't think I'd have the patience for it lol.

As a person with 3 Wizards - (down from 4 - just sold one :( )..... I love them all. That being said, after playing an older model Larry Dino I would take a new Larry Dino over any of them. The cost isn't an issue. I just can't deal with an unknown, years-long wait.

I remember him being extremely helpful the few times I interacted with him regarding amps. If all that shit is true, I'd be pretty pissed too.

mhenson42":gzbyru3o said:
Racerxrated":gzbyru3o said:

As a person with 3 Wizards - (down from 4 - just sold one :( )..... I love them all. That being said, after playing an older model Larry Dino I would take a new Larry Dino over any of them. The cost isn't an issue. I just can't deal with an unknown, years-long wait.
Out of curiosity, where’d you get to try one?

Also, how would you describe its tone and how it would compare to something like the Wizards?

Larry's always been a good dude about sharing info on amp building when he was on Metro. He's knows just about everything regarding amplifier and electrical design. That doesn't always lend itself to great business practices. I always wondered how his amps sounded. There are some recent very unflattering clips of a Dino 939 on YT, could have been the player but...not impressive for 6K.

If you've personally played these Dino 939's and only this amp does it and feel the price is fair... then 6K is relative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back