To Synergy or not to Synergy

Ok ok ok…I saw Ola’s demo this morning and my opinion on the IICP has changed quite a bit. He demoed the module alongside an actual 2C+ and they sounded dang close…👏🏻

Ok ok ok…I saw Ola’s demo this morning and my opinion on the IICP has changed quite a bit. He demoed the module alongside an actual 2C+ and they sounded dang close…👏🏻

Yeah, OLA is an enigma and all...and he can make a can-opener sound like OLA. But I watched that vid in my mix position and thought it was damn close.

Leon Todd is a bad man btw. I love that he's a turd like the rest of us at RT and is successful at it. He's Mark Day's child.

A couple of years ago (when I sold my Marshall JVM HJS... biggest mistake ever) I bought a SYN-1 and the Friedman HBE module. The voicing of the module was great, it sounded very thick and saturated, but there were two things that I just couldn't stand and eventually made me return both devices: 1. very high noise floor and 2. tiny, finnicky knobs.

If only they would equip all devices with the stepped controls of the Vai module.

Lot of good info. From my original (OP) question, I appreciate the replies.

To tie a bow around it for me, I decided not to go Synergy. I really love the amps I have (KSR Artemis, JVM, 1984 JC800, SLO and Uberschall) and I have my sights on a couple others. But I want the convenience that comes with my new studio desk.

So I decided to buy a rack mountable Amp Switcher. Today I purchased a de Lisle Amp-Speaker Selector 8x6 Pro which allows to switch and choose between 8 amps, 8 effects loops and 6 cabs/loads. Can also insert an attenuator into the overall path if wanted. This will allow me to rack the amp switcher in the studio desk console and play whatever I want.

8x6-Pro-1-800.jpg

8x6-Pro-2-800.jpg

A couple of years ago (when I sold my Marshall JVM HJS... biggest mistake ever) I bought a SYN-1 and the Friedman HBE module. The voicing of the module was great, it sounded very thick and saturated, but there were two things that I just couldn't stand and eventually made me return both devices: 1. very high noise floor and 2. tiny, finnicky knobs.

If only they would equip all devices with the stepped controls of the Vai module.
Keep in mind I am a high gain freak, not a mid ghain guy
1 the noise floor does seem higher on modules, but also maybe not or not as much as you would think. Many of the modules go into extreme levels, not sure if the noise is any higher than say a 5150 amp variant. Dial the OD to moderate levels (even for modern metal) and not sure if this is even an issue. I never did try an HBE, but I did have a Friedman modded Randall BE & HBE and like the BE a lot more due to this issue)

2. Agreed on the controls, though more so on the graphic eq I had on the Pitbull. The sound was amazing, but that was tedious trying to move those little sliders around as huge changes happen and it is hard to physically move it just a smidge when needed. I sold the Pitrbull in part due to this, despite the fantastic tones. I imagine the iiCP will have this same issue, but hope to set and forget it

Back