Tom Holmes pu's. LOVE them

Zachman

I just stuck a Tom Holmes pu set (450 neck/455 bridge) in one of my LP's, and it was a good decision. KILLER

970135_487531134665649_44420625_n_zps1bed894f.jpg

They're the most expensive PAF type that humbucker I've ever seen at over $400.

I've read good things about them, but I can't imagine any PU being worth that much or Tom Holmes knowing a secret to making a PU that Lolar, Fralin, Dimarzio, SD etc don't know.

What makes them so much better than, let's say, a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF or a Duncan 59?

Did you measure the output Zack?

Holmes
Throbak
Rolph's

Mucho mega bucks for pick ups. But, the closest thing you will get to an original set of PAF's at several thousand bucks. If, that is your goal. A lot of the cost for these are coming up with the right formula for the magnet martial and how much of it. Of course, its in the windings and material as well. Throbak has one of the original Gibson winders too. All time consuming after a lot of research which of course, means more money.

Steve

steve_k":1crtw3nl said:

Holmes
Throbak
Rolph's

Mucho mega bucks for pick ups. But, the closest thing you will get to an original set of PAF's at several thousand bucks. If, that is your goal. A lot of the cost for these are coming up with the right formula for the magnet martial and how much of it. Of course, its in the windings and material as well. Throbak has one of the original Gibson winders too. All time consuming after a lot of research which of course, means more money.

Steve

I don't know if my guy measured them or not. I found them laying around the shop... hehehehe so I asked him to install them in this guitar.

Zachman":ov3lnuvc said:
steve_k":ov3lnuvc said:

Holmes
Throbak
Rolph's

Steve

I don't know if my guy measured them or not. I found them laying around the shop... hehehehe so I asked him to install them in this guitar.

Good find!

steve_k":idqbr61u said:
Zachman":idqbr61u said:
steve_k":idqbr61u said:

Holmes
Throbak
Rolph's

Steve

Good find!

Oh ya... I saw how much these things go for nowadays and WOW! more than I realized, but they sure do sound awesome!

Doughboy":2pj3eg5p said:
They're the most expensive PAF type that humbucker I've ever seen at over $400.

I've read good things about them, but I can't imagine any PU being worth that much or Tom Holmes knowing a secret to making a PU that Lolar, Fralin, Dimarzio, SD etc don't know.

What makes them so much better than, let's say, a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF or a Duncan 59?

They do actually sound like a real PAF. The others don't. That doesn't make them "better". Only better at sounding like a real PAF, to 'me'. My other guitars have Duncans, Dimarzio, Gibson, Fender, EMG, Anderson, Joe Barden, Sustainiac Pro, etc... Different tools for different jobs. ;)

Zachman":1dq1hkwc said:
steve_k":1dq1hkwc said:
Zachman":1dq1hkwc said:
steve_k":1dq1hkwc said:

Holmes
Throbak
Rolph's

Steve

Good find!

Oh ya... I saw how much these things go for nowadays and WOW! more than I realized, but they sure do sound awesome!

Yeah...about $850 a pair. Jim Rolph's and Throbak's around $600.

Holy shit....$850 for a set?

I really dig the Godwoods for an LP style...never tried the super fancy ones :LOL: :LOL:

jcj":19m58p78 said:

I really dig the Godwoods for an LP style...never tried the super fancy ones :LOL: :LOL:

Don't forget the pick-up rings to go with them..... :thumbsup:

steve_k":3p3zi7x4 said:
jcj":3p3zi7x4 said:

Don't forget the pick-up rings to go with them..... :thumbsup:

Ball Bearings... It's all Ball bearings :LOL: :LOL:

1242698526_3.jpg

I got a set of Aldrich's rewound by Rolph (8k neck and 9k Bridge). One of the best sets I've had. Neck has the reverse Peter Green thing too. Not trying to jack the thread but what do u guys think of the Rolphs?

I think they're the king of the hill pups but I just can't seem to psychologically justify the cost and I'm just damn impatient in waiting for a set. I went with WCR's as I'm not a purist to the PAF as others are.
The Stephens designs look cool but at $650 pair :confused:

top PAF's do come at a price, passion however does not!

- Tom Holmes
- Stephens Design Pups
- WCR Godwood
- BKP The Mule

Tom Holmes are really nice.

In the right guitar, they are fantastic!

but the same can be said about a tonne of other pickups.

My favorites are

Wolfetone marshallheads

motor city anything

manlius.

at the end of the day for the neck position a good ol duncan 59 works as good as anything boutique that I have used.

fuzzyguitars":28okm65a said:
Tom Holmes are really nice.

In the right guitar, they are fantastic!

but the same can be said about a tonne of other pickups.

My favorites are

Wolfetone marshallheads

motor city anything

manlius.

at the end of the day for the neck position a good ol duncan 59 works as good as anything boutique that I have used.

Absolutely... I have played pickups that I know I like in one guitar, and don't like them in another. I never intended this to turn to a competitive thing of this is 'better' than that. Just sharing that I liked the pu's.

I use other makes/models too. Anderson, Dimarzio, Duncan, EMG, Fender, Gibson, Joe Barden, etc...

Back