Took a chance buying a DAR FBM... best 1 min ever.

jbcrazy

So I'm jamming on this thing.. Sounds great. But literally a couple minutes in riffing, lights go haywire and the thing shuts off by itself. Now I can't even turn it on.

Pretty damn expensive dead weight now.

I knew I was taking a risk but literally... that was quick.

:doh:

Anyone know anybody that can take a crack at saving this thing?

WOW, that is BS. Sorry to hear.

I would send it back for a refund TBH that is entirely too much money. If you got it for a steal then yeah, probably worth keeping and sending it to a good tech but man. Where did you buy this?

You are probably more knowledgeable than I but I would start with the basics. Check the fuses, check the tubes, check the cab, the guitar cables and your guitar. Plug straight into the amp.

If it is not one of those basic things than yeah. Need to decide if it is worth putting more money into and how much a fix would be.

That is an EPIC amp. I have never played one and never will sadly. The one thing I always wondered though about them. What do you do when you need new tubes, or a repair?

maddnotez":1iers8c5 said:

I would send it back for a refund TBH that is entirely too much money. If you got it for a steal then yeah, probably worth keeping and sending it to a good tech but man. Where did you buy this?

Bought it off someone here. But yeah... it was a blown fuse. Now I hope that its just an old fuse that needed to be replaced?

Not sure... but I'll replace it and cross my fingers. A nice gentleman on here told me of a place that can handle repairs...

Love the guys on here.

Woot!

jbcrazy":2evzgqwk said:
maddnotez":2evzgqwk said:

Bought it off someone here. But yeah... it was a blown fuse. Now I hope that its just an old fuse that needed to be replaced?

Not sure... but I'll replace it and cross my fingers. A nice gentleman on here told me of a place that can handle repairs...

Love the guys on here.

Woot!

Awesome, good to hear. I was editing my post as you were replying. The fancy lights going haywire I have no experience in whatsoever but I always try to check the most basic of things before getting myself worked up.

If the fuse keeps blowing or if there are still issues, I would still check the basics before sending in it to a tech unless you don't want to bias new tubes or whatever.

maddnotez":1u6696bp said:
jbcrazy":1u6696bp said:
maddnotez":1u6696bp said:

Love the guys on here.

Woot!

Awesome, good to hear. I was editing my post as you were replying. The fancy lights going haywire I have no experience in whatsoever but I always try to check the most basic of things before getting myself worked up.

If the fuse keeps blowing or if there are still issues, I would still check the basics before sending in it to a tech unless you don't want to bias new tubes or whatever.

Yeah totally.

By the way... this is the sickest sounding metal I've ever heard. Period.

When it works :gethim:

jbcrazy":1pt821kr said:
maddnotez":1pt821kr said:
jbcrazy":1pt821kr said:
maddnotez":1pt821kr said:

Love the guys on here.

Woot!

Yeah totally.

By the way... this is the sickest sounding metal I've ever heard. Period.

When it works :gethim:

I envy all of you who own one of these. I spoke with the builder right before they announced who their endorsee was at the time and I really wish I had the money to buy one back then. I can only imagine how amazing it is. I have heard clips and was floored but clips are clips.

Keep me in mind if you ever decide to sell (assuming it is working :LOL: :LOL: ) and I would hopefully be able to sell some gear or be in a position to drop some cash.

I was the one who sold the amp. It was 100% working before I shipped it out. I packed it as best as I could but I don't know what shape it arrived in. The tubes could have been compromised during handling with fedex.

This sucks big time and I was really on the fence about selling it because of situations like this and the money involved. I will try to help resolve the issue.

VC4Ever":z1wlicrp said:
I was the one who sold the amp. It was 100% working before I shipped it out. I packed it as best as I could but I don't know what shape it arrived in. The tubes could have been compromised during handling with fedex.

This sucks big time and I was really on the fence about selling it because of situations like this and the money involved. I will try to help resolve the issue.

Yeah no sweat. I didn't mean to put it on you. There is always risks shipping amps.

Either way I love the amp so much, I'd find a way to fix it anyway.

It's working okay now... I'm putting through the shop. This fuse seems to be doing much better.

jbcrazy":h07qukgb said:
VC4Ever":h07qukgb said:

Yeah no sweat. I didn't mean to put it on you. There is always risks shipping amps.

Either way I love the amp so much, I'd find a way to fix it anyway.

It's working okay now... I'm putting through the shop. This fuse seems to be doing much better.
Might just be good idea to get new tubes in it for sure. Well worth it.

Guys - I'm sure many of you know this already, but when a fuse blows, it is telling you something else is wrong with the amp. It's probably just a tube, but replacing the fuse alone is not going to "fix" that amp...

Steve

Please note,there are indicator lights on the back if you are loosing a power tube.

Also note,if a preamp tube gets shorted out it will fry an op-amp or switching chip.

Good luck with the amp. It's by far and away the most metal amp I own. Love to have a spare one.

I pray nothing frys. Indicator lights seem fine.

New fuse hasn't blown. Hope I'm in the clear.

Notes.

- This amp is the most devastating amp ever. And it looks the part.
- The open front with the tubes makes it quite the toasty adventure dialing in tones.
- Without the noise gate this thing gets NOISY. Setting this perfect is integral.
- While it's a beastly metal amp... I wonder why oh why the gain is set this way. There is never a reason I'd see anyone using more than 15-20 percent gain on any of the dirty channels. Keeping it low keeps your dynamics.

This thing is amazing... I really want a Forza Quattro now... seemingly that one is more a versatile rock amp?

Anyone selling one? :)

Thanks VC for the amp... even with the blown fuse thing that made me freak out.

jbcrazy":136h5naq said:

Dude - if all you replaced was the fuse, you are very, very likely not in the clear... it's only a matter of time...

Steve

sah5150":3h8fi0e0 said:
jbcrazy":3h8fi0e0 said:

Dude - if all you replaced was the fuse, you are very, very likely not in the clear... it's only a matter of time...

Steve

Well it's that or send it into a shop up north. I'll see what happens in the next few days. If it blows, I'll definitely will be sending it off for a retube and checkup. Power tubes seem okay.

sah5150":33t7i283 said:
jbcrazy":33t7i283 said:

Steve

I totally understand that fuses blow for a reason and they are there to save the amp from further damage but several years ago I brought my perfectly functioning 6505+ head down from Seattle to San Diego in the trunk of my car. When brought it to the rehearsal studio to jam with my buddy the fuse blew pretty quickly. Well I popped another one in and amp worked perfectly after that for the rest of the time I had it( another year or so of regular playing). So it seems something can possibly just cause a fuse to blow without there being anything else wrong with the amp right?

bubbastain":2njdr7ji said:
sah5150":2njdr7ji said:
jbcrazy":2njdr7ji said:

Steve

I totally understand that fuses blow for a reason and they are there to save the amp from further damage but several years ago I brought my perfectly functioning 6505+ head down from Seattle to San Diego in the trunk of my car. When brought it to the rehearsal studio to jam with my buddy the fuse blew pretty quickly. Well I popped another one in and amp worked perfectly after that for the rest of the time I had it( another year or so of regular playing). So it seems something can possibly just cause a fuse to blow without there being anything else wrong with the amp right?
Sure, I get it - I didn't say it wasn't possible, just that it is very unlikely...

Steve

sah5150":1t4xqf4v said:
bubbastain":1t4xqf4v said:
sah5150":1t4xqf4v said:
jbcrazy":1t4xqf4v said:

Steve

Sure, I get it - I didn't say it wasn't possible, just that it is very unlikely...

Steve

Unlikey yes. I was worried for good reason when it blew. I was just lucky I guess.

Steve is a builder. I would heed his advice. The DAR FBM is a sick amp (played it at NAMM and damn near bought one, but for the company's rep at the time). I would say it's worth saving if you can find someone to do so.

Back