Top 3 amps you have played

Any of my THD amps. I like them all about the same.

Series One Plexi
Univalve 15
Bivalve 30
Flexi 50
Deco 36

The Fryette Deliverance 120 would probably be next. I use the Sig X more often.

I like some of the Mesa and Orange stuff too. Lots of other nice amps out there like the Diezel, Bogner, Matchless and Wizard stuff.

But the THD amps fit me best. Andy Marshall's work is impeccable.

I loved the Aldrich I had, it was killer, but there was one Jose in particular that would make you shit if you heard it. It wasn’t about just being high gain, it had an unbelievable tone. I know who owns it and they won’t part with it. I wish he would make some clips. I regret moving it.
Nice! I’d bet the donor amp probably also sounded better than others when stock if it was that good

Langner DCP-1 VHT CLASSIC combo
71 sl Langner modded
Mesa IIC+/++

Cameron 50w jcm 800 I never played but it was the best sounding amp I ever heard, a Modern mod. No other amp made could withstand being next to it. Amp was insane.

Last edited:
No particular order:

Early Bogner 100B
Late Mesa Mark IIB Coli
Early Komet K60 loaded with KT66’s

Honorable mention: Mesa Mark IIA>C+/++ DRG

If I could actually afford a real OG Trainwreck that would probably be a Top 3 amp for me overall. I'd want one of the more aggressively voiced ones though, like the one made for George Lynch.

My current amp goes top of the list for great tones and versatility, the other two were great sounding amps but didn’t cover as much ground:

Bogner Goldfinger SL
Carol Ann OD3r - great clean and a wonderful, thick drive Channel but as a very polite sounding amp
Two Rock Traditional Clean - Amazing clean sound, took pedals like a champ but didn’t have much else to offer

I’ve had to honestly think hard about this. I’m listing it based on features, tonal capabilities, and impact on creativity and on desire to play.

1) 1974 Marshall with my Enmity mod
2) 1998 Bogner Ecstasy 101B
2) 5150 Block Letter w/ bias mod

Love my aldrich but as I’ve said a thousand times it’s a one trick pony but it does that one trick well. I would never bring it as a live backup amp because it can’t clean up and doesn’t have a dedicated clean channel.

My Mesa mark III+/++ doesn’t make the list because I’m just more of a Marshall guy and expect Marshall characteristics. Amp sounds nuts and nails the Whitesnake/Sykes tones.

Back