Top 3 amps you have played

Out of all the different kinds of "best" metrics I can think of, I'll go with the best amps I've played that do the kind of thing they do better than any other amp going for the same thing. For example I've played several modern high gain amps I love, but only one of them does the ultra-modern thing best to my ears, etc.

-Bogner Uber Ultra
The best modern metal amp I've played. To me, this amp gets as close to the ultimate high gain white hot sizzly jet afterburner heavy metal "sound in my head" guitar tone as I've ever gotten. Highs are crispy and single note runs get really clinky and touch sensitive without being harsh (if you set the Treble right), the mids are searing and complex but also slick and clear, and the lows punch and purr and chunk all at the same time. And despite it being so aggressive, I still find it to be a balanced sounding amp that breathes fire but still manages to stay defined and articulate while doing it. And it does a whole spectrum of metal tones too. Awesome amp.

-Wizard Modern Classic II Mk II
The best modern rock amp I've played. It takes the best elements of vintage amps (highly dynamic and touch sensitive, open and clear sounding, slightly raw-voiced gain) and the best elements of modern amps (tight, huge punch, lots of gain on tap, wide bandwidth EQ signature, highly tweakable and effective EQ, and a modern aggressive gain voicing) and mashes them together. Modern and clear yet raw gain, sustains like crazy yet highly touch sensitive. Absolute monster of an amp.

-Suhr SL68
The best vintage rock amp I've played. Unbelievable attitude. Van Halen in a box, basically. If you crank all the knobs and hit the strings hard, the amp collapses in on itself and then quickly recovers in a way that makes it sound like a screeching, yowling wild animal. I know that sounds like a bad marketing ad read, but it's not. The amp actually does that. Also it probably goes without saying that the amp does some of the best broken up hot clean tones and mid-gain crunch ever. Too cool.

Bonus runner up:

-Bogner Ecstasy 101B
Aside from this thing being probably the most versatile amp ever made, it might be the best lead guitar amp ever made too. Everybody describes this amp as woody and chewy, and they're right. It has a way of making anything you play through it sound more complex and interesting than it otherwise would be. Everybody should play through the boosted blue channel at least once.

There are other amps I'd love to try that I suspect could have the potential to knock one or two of these amps out of the top slots, but this is a thread about amps we've personally had experience with. Maybe I'll update this post once I play a few of them. Or maybe I won't need to!

Last edited:
Diezel VHX - The best all round amp I have ever owned.
Owned and still own 3 other Diezels. Peter's voicing just does it for me - not too classic, not too modern - just right where I like it.
I love the complex swirl in the distortion of his amps, how it just fills the room from high to low with a wall of sound.
The fundamental character of this amp can morph further than any normal tube amp I've tried.
Guys who tried these and didn't immediately jive with it, I can relate .. update the software (there was an initial error with the voicing) and find the right tubes and its a completely different animal.

Matchless C30 - Lush chime , rich 3D texture, addicting touch response. What's not to like? not much unless you want to play death metal with it.

Wizard MC1 - Like a Marshall but clearer, richer and deeper. The biggest sounding amp I've ever tried, and the only one on this list I sold.
Killer amp no doubt - I can see why so many guys stop here - In the end I just prefer a more modern voice.

Yeah there are many more great amps ,.. but these are the most different and memorable.

Out of all the different kinds of "best" metrics I can think of, I'll go with the best amps I've played that do the kind of thing they do better than any other amp. For example I've played several modern high gain amps I love, but only one of them does the ultra-modern thing best to my ears, etc.

-Bogner Uber Ultra
The best modern metal amp I've played. To me, this amp gets as close to the ultimate high gain white hot sizzly jet afterburner heavy metal "sound in my head" guitar tone as I've ever gotten. And it does a whole spectrum of metal tones really well, too. Awesome amp.

-Wizard Modern Classic II Mk II
The best modern rock amp I've played. It takes the best elements of vintage amps (highly dynamic and touch sensitive, open and clear sounding, slightly raw-voiced gain) and the best elements of modern amps (tight, huge punch, lots of gain on tap, wide bandwidth EQ signature, highly tweakable and effective EQ, and a modern aggressive gain voicing) and mashes them together. Modern and clear yet raw gain, sustains like crazy yet highly touch sensitive. Absolute monster of an amp.

-Suhr SL68
The best vintage rock amp I've played. Unbelievable attitude. Van Halen in a box, basically. If you crank all the knobs and hit the strings hard, the amp collapses in on itself and then quickly recovers in a way that makes it sound like a screeching, yowling wild animal. I know that sounds like a bad marketing ad read, but it's not. The amp actually does that. Also it probably goes without saying that the amp does some of the best broken up hot clean tones and mid-gain crunch ever. Too cool.

Bonus runner up:

Bogner Ecstasy 101B
Aside from this thing being probably the most versatile amp ever made, it might be the best lead guitar amp ever made too. Everybody describes this amp as woody and chewy, and they're right. It has a way of making anything you play through it sound more complex and interesting than it otherwise would be. Everybody should play through the boosted blue channel at least once.

There are other amps I'd love to try that I suspect could have the potential to knock one or two of these amps out of the top slots, but this is a thread about amps we've personally had experience with. Maybe I'll update this post once I play a few of them. Or maybe I won't need to!
Do you have the EL34 Uber Ultra?

Do you have the EL34 Uber Ultra?

Yes.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying it with a 6L6 or KT88 loadout through. Part of the reason I got the EL34 version is because it can be modded pretty easily to accommodate either of those other power tube types, or a mix of both of them.

I've owned alot of shit through the years from boutique ala SLO's, VHT's, Diezels to Langners to everyday Laney, Orange, ENGL to Friedman and played just about everything else except some of the newer offerings ala Headfirst, Ground Zero and MGL, which just so happen to be the few I'm interested in. But the stuff I've really loved is mostly run of the mill.

Top for me -

Marshall JVM410
Marshall JMP 2204
OG 5150

Next three -

Langner DC - 1 Elite
Diezel Herbert Mk1
Peavey JSX

Naylor SD60
Bogner XTC
‘67 Marshall Plexi

And a vintage Greenback cab that some would say is equally as important as the amp

Back