Torpedo or?

billsbigego

Looking for some type of box, I can connect between my head MKV or Tri Rec, without the cab. Been looking at the Torpedo stuff, but it's mighty expensive. I know it's the best stuff out there, but is there anything else?

Also, the Torpedo reload reactive attenuator, is that specifically for re-amping, or could I use that for what I'm trying to do? I don't have an issue with micing, but my cabs are in close proximity to my DAW and the sh*t gets so loud I can't hear what's in my headphones.

Watching Pete Thors video on this. Just want to make sure I get this right as I'm a retard. I can just hook this to my head, not use a cab, go out to my interface and use the Two Notes plugin to load IR's?

billsbigego":3unrgaub said:
Watching Pete Thors video on this. Just want to make sure I get this right as I'm a retard. I can just hook this to my head, not use a cab, go out to my interface and use the Two Notes plugin to load IR's?
I believe so.
I bought a 1x12 cab a while ago from a guy who had his Engl Invader 100 hooked up to the Torpedo Live and he didn't use the cab anymore.
From the TL directly into the PC.
I'm considering one myself, so I can finally crank my Sig:X for once too at home and record it nicely. That pair of KT88's must feel pretty damn sonically cockblocked, I guess. :aww:

billsbigego":31zxoq5h said:
Looking for some type of box, I can connect between my head MKV or Tri Rec, without the cab. Been looking at the Torpedo stuff, but it's mighty expensive. I know it's the best stuff out there, but is there anything else?

Also, the Torpedo reload reactive attenuator, is that specifically for re-amping, or could I use that for what I'm trying to do? I don't have an issue with micing, but my cabs are in close proximity to my DAW and the sh*t gets so loud I can't hear what's in my headphones.

If you're looking to silently record and use iRs for your speaker, there's different ways to do it.

The Torpedo is just one way.

What exactly are you looking for?

I had a cab clone. It sucked. I think mostly because the built in hardware for the emulation sucked. Plugged into a cab and into the DAW, it sounded good. Without a cab, it sounded like shit.

I want to go

Guitar > amp head > some sort of Load box > DAW and use impulses. NO CAB

I like the idea of Torpedo, as some of their stuff has built in IR's, but I'm sure there's more than that way to get the job done. The stuff is costly as well. I'd rather spend cash on other shit if possible.

I had a JDX box as well, sounded great, but had to use a cab with it. I want the ability to record without a cab. I got an 8 year old girl. Makes lots of noise and I'm sick of having to record at 2am to get silence.

No comment to the Torpedo, but I wanted to ask how your Doug's Tubes Rectifier Metal kit went!

Improvement?

billsbigego":3o6cvoty said:
I had a cab clone. It sucked. I think mostly because the built in hardware for the emulation sucked. Plugged into a cab and into the DAW, it sounded good. Without a cab, it sounded like shit.

I want to go

I like the idea of Torpedo, as some of their stuff has built in IR's, but I'm sure there's more than that way to get the job done. The stuff is costly as well. I'd rather spend cash on other shit if possible.

I had a JDX box as well, sounded great, but had to use a cab with it. I want the ability to record without a cab. I got an 8 year old girl. Makes lots of noise and I'm sick of having to record at 2am to get silence.

Get yourself a dummy load (like a HotPlate set to "Load") to make your amp happy. The dummy load makes your amp think it sees a speaker. Run a speaker cable out from your amp's 1st speaker out jack into the dummy load.

Get yourself a line out box (I highly recommend the Suhr ISO Line Out) and run a speaker cable out from your amp's 2nd speaker out jack into the line out box.

Run a standard (guitar) cable from the line out box into your DAW interface; adjust the volume on the line out box (if it has one) accordingly.

Although this vid of mine is for slaving, the principle is exactly the same for silent recording if you skip the "FX loop to 2nd amp" part of the chain as found in the vid:

So, the chain would look like this (vertical representation:)

amp
(speaker out 1) -> dummy load
(speaker out 2)
|
line out box
|
DAW interface

The Torpedo takes care of the dummy load *and* the line out box part.

The Suhr Reactive load does the same.

I use a Hotplate set to "Load" and the Suhr ISO Line Out box.

Shask":2ltp0qho said:
No comment to the Torpedo, but I wanted to ask how your Doug's Tubes Rectifier Metal kit went!

Improvement?

I'm not going to go tell you to buy them because they make the amp sound absolutely spectacular since the upgrade. I don't notice a damn bit of difference. Just like every tube upgrade I've ever done to any tube amp I've never owned. But I can say with the MXR EQ in the loop and the Maxon OD9+ in front of the amp, the thing sounds unreal.

Just be forewarned that the hotplate is a bit of a tonesuck on load when used with IR's. See Pete Thorn's latest video on using impulses where he compares the tones between different units. I was never happy with my hotplate because of this. Sure it sounds good on its own but a lot of clarity and high end is lost. Get the Suhr unit and use IR's or the two notes stuff.

Kapo_Polenton":1z3ew6f7 said:
Just be forewarned that the hotplate is a bit of a tonesuck on load when used with IR's. See Pete Thorn's latest video on using impulses where he compares the tones between different units. I was never happy with my hotplate because of this. Sure it sounds good on its own but a lot of clarity and high end is lost. Get the Suhr unit and use IR's or the two notes stuff.
Very true, I got really poor results with the hotplate using IR's, awaiting a Suhr Reactive Load to give things another try!

That post a few posts up is way too complicated for a retard like me. I needed to google a diagram of how to hook up my MXR eq to my loop in my Rectifier amp head. That's the level of stupidity you cats are dealing with here :rock:

I'm lucky I have ever recorded anything.

Stradazone":3liwsqty said:
Kapo_Polenton":3liwsqty said:
Very true, I got really poor results with the hotplate using IR's, awaiting a Suhr Reactive Load to give things another try!

Is the Suhr Reactive load like the Mesa Cab clone? I had the cab clone. Worked great as a DI > PA but as soon as you unplug the cab, it all goes to hell. That's why I'm contemplating a Torpedo device. Why fuck around? If I get the best thing there is (Torpedo, as far as I can tell) , and it still sucks, then I know it's me.

billsbigego":2lsvidev said:
I want to go

I like the idea of Torpedo, as some of their stuff has built in IR's, but I'm sure there's more than that way to get the job done. The stuff is costly as well. I'd rather spend cash on other shit if possible?
If you already have a plugin with impulses in your DAW then I think the Suhr Reactive Load looks best for the money and sound quality. You need three things to record guitar. A DI that brings the amp's signal down to line level, a load for the amp, and IRs to make the line level signal sound like a mic'd cab. Pete Thorn's video did a great job showing that the load matters. To my ears Fryette and Suhr sounded the best. The Suhr unit is essentially a DI+load in one box without the IRs.

No need to get the Torpedo gear if you have IRs in your DAW. You can still get their WoS plugin if you like their IRs.

Or spend a little more and get the Fryette Power Station. It also has an excellent load and acts as a DI (use the Send Out) but also is an attenuator and a power amp.

I have a Torpedo Live and I chose it because I don't always want to be connected to my computer. I like to be able to practice silently just by turning on my amp and the Torpedo.

If you don't mind being tethered to a computer at all times, then you could go with a less expensive load box and use a plug-in in your DAW. The Two-Notes WoS plugin is pretty solid.

billsbigego":gz48mupk said:
That post a few posts up is way too complicated for a retard like me. I needed to google a diagram of how to hook up my MXR eq to my loop in my Rectifier amp head. That's the level of stupidity you cats are dealing with here :rock:

I'm lucky I have ever recorded anything.

Look at the Rivera Rockcrusher Recording. I'm stupid when it comes to IRs and stuff, and the Rivera is very user friendly. They even have diagrams on their site for their cabinet settings.

Those Rivera saker sims don't stand up to what IRs can do though. It is a no brainer if you are not going to mic something, use IRs. ( in my opinion of course)

Like I said, I had the mesa cab clone. Completely unimpressed with the tone when used in resistive mode. The rest of these boxes, Suhr, Rivera, ect... aren't they just similar to the cab clone in the way they funcion?

I'm leaning towards the two notes brand because I do want to incorporate the use of IR's. I have about 400 of them. Only like about 10 of them of course. But I got all free ones. Perhaps there's better ones now. Mine are a couple years old.
I want something that's going to give me "holy shit it's good" tone.

I figure the two notes brand is that, am I wrong? I'd love to get the studio, but 2k is too much. I need other shit. Well, want other shit, heh.

Two-Notes all the way! I love the Torpedo Live. Everything in one box. I frequently go to my gigs with just an amp head, my small pedalboard and the live and run right into FOH. The venues have monitors and I roll with that. Works and sounds great! The sound man loves me for this! I'm in and out in under 10 minutes with a custom cable snake that I made for myself. Love playing late at night with my amp and not having to wake everyone up as well.

You may not even need to bother with any other IRs. The stuff that Two-Notes has available for purchase on the LeBoutique site is outstanding!

Back