Transformer help

GregM

I have an Epiphone EP-800 practice amp that I bought in the early 90's and it died in the late 90's. It was diagnosed with a bad transformer by a tech about 20 years ago and I'd like to get it working again if it's cost effective. Gibson or the amp parts suppliers I've talked to can't tell me what transformer I need. Gibson did send me the schematic - I was wondering if any of the amp guys here might be able to tell me what the hell I need.

Attachments

• EP800.jpg
    EP800.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 611
  • transformer.jpg
    transformer.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 462
Take this with a grain of salt. I could be wrong. I don't know shit about solid state.

Your schematic doesn't show voltages or transformer specs. Looking at some Peaveys they show a similar power supply setup and 33V and 15V power rails. A 24V-0-24V (48VCT - center tapped) will give you 33V after it is rectified.

Go to Mouser.com in the transformer section. Use the filters and select 48V secondaries and Hammond or Triad brand transformers. Try to match the weight and bolt hole centers. Check the data sheet to see if it has the same wiring.

I didn't see any current demand on the schematic. That's why you should weigh it. You want to pick one with high enough of a milliamp rating or it will burn out again.

Thanks, I'll check out Mouser. I struck out with Mojotone today now too.

In the meantime I welcome any more input!

Back