Tried some lunchboxes today...

ratter

I'm on the hunt for a low-volume home amp. Something that can whisper without sucking. Hit GC today and tried a few...

Mesa Express 5:25. Tons of great features - 2 channels with 2 modes each, switchable power, loop, reverb. The master volume worked really well. Overall a "nice" amp. But one of those amps that's almost too nice. If it was a car it would be a Prius. Smart, sensible, unexciting. At $1149 or whatever it is, it's a decent value for a US made amp.

Egnater Tweaker. I had no idea how tiny these were. Pretty soon all amps will be the size of a pack of cigs. Then a matchbook. Then they will just disappear altogether! Or maybe they will be worn on a necklace. Anyway...the "tweaking" had me scratching my head a bit. Most of the switches were so subtle that my tin ears could barely tell a difference. I think if they took them all off but the "Hot/Clean" switch it would be just as well. The clean-clean and high gain sounds left me a bit flat. The gain was a bit warm and spongy, which is nice when you want that but I couldn't really tighten/brighten it up no matter how I set the controls. But there was one surprise. On UK/clean with the gain cranked it did a surprisingly good mini plexi imitation. Overall seems a very good value for the price for at least one really good tone and a handful of other decent tones. If it were a car it'd be a base model Civic.

Tiny Terror. A little more edge and attitude and gain than the Tweaker. Didn't do the plexi sound that the Tweaker could but was more edgy and fun for high gain lead sounds. I thought all the best tones lived with the Tone control down pretty low but that might have been the cab (1x12 Orange) talking. Fun amp. Seems a bit overpriced at $599 when sitting next to the $399 Tweaker. But if you want that tone that it does, the Tweaker won't help you. One really cool trick, which makes it kind of a pricey trick. It's not even a car. It's a dirt bike.

Mesa TA-15. Second time I've played this one. Great cleans and Voxy mid-gain tones but ironically, despite it's size, it's the one that really needs some volume behind it to shine. The tweed clean and top boost mid-gain are worth the price of admission. But there's nothing to satisfy a high-gain craving. It's a Mini Cooper. Seems really fun to drive and very cool at first. Then after the shine wears off, you realize you're driving a gumball with a sunroof.

Mini Rectifier. I didn't expect to love this one but it was my favorite of the bunch. More versatile than the Tweaker, better clean tones than the rest. Great cleans, actually and a very nice bluesy/country tone from Pushed Clean. Nice gain tones with plenty of gain on tap from the lead channel. Kinda goofy looking. I'm really tired of the metal cage look. And the tiny silver knobs made it impossible to tell where they were set unless you put your face 8" from the front panel. But I was digging the tone. The only stop-and-stares I got the whole time I was in the store was during Pushed Clean time. Of course, it might have been more of a dirty look than a stare...hard to tell sometimes. Does it sound hundreds of dollars better than the Orange and Tweaker? Hmm...tough call. Maybe. But the "No Slave Labor" angle makes the price seem pretty reasonable to me. Better tone-per-$ than the Express, for sure. It's a Jeep Wrangler. Utilitarian, capable, but pricier than the competition.

The Mini Rec was sitting on the little 1x12 slant novelty cab. The Orange on a 1x12. The Tweaker on an Egnater 2x12. The Express, a 1x12. I think they would all benefit from a bigger cab. Probably benefit a LOT.

d1118b98612b8905ae9b1c27e06e30e0.16_636_1.jpg

digging the car comparisons =0 nice rundown

i'm hunting for a 30watter head atm myself, settled on the blackstar artisan 30h, just waiting for one to pop up used...might be a while

I liked the Tweaker's clean.......but not much else. I love the gain of the Tiny Terror but I can't live without the loop. A graphic EQ would make that amp so much more versatile. I can't help but to think they would double the sales if they just stuck a loop in it. The newer Dark Terror has one, but the gain on that thing is a mess compared to the Tiny Terror.

I've yet to find the perfect lunchbox amp.

bubbastain":16cb5z5y said:
Best lunchbox ever. Now they need to find a way to stuff a Fortin Natas inside. :D
P2250057.jpg

Wow the look at that thermos. Flashbacks of elementary school. :rock:

Tweaker sounds better w/el34s. I'm honeymooning with a blackstar ht20 head-not bad, tons of gain and decent clean/reverb, and cheap- it is a big lunch box though.

Been mulling it over some more...

That one particular tone that I liked on the Tweaker was good enough that I should probably spend more time with it. If there are more tones of that quality in there, that would be nice.

If the Tiny Terror was priced like a Jet City 20 watter, I would have taken one home, no question. It has a cool 70s kind of raunch to it. It sounds like that KISS lunchbox looks. The lack of a loop is a downer, but when I think about it, I have owned dozens of amps with loops and have rarely used them.

The Mini Rec's biggest weakness was that the gain channel sounded a little honky/nasally. Not uncommon with Boogies, in my experience. It and the TT had an upfront presence to the tone that the Tweaker seemed to lack.

Oh, and the Mini Rec sounded better through the Orange 112 than through the Mini Mesa 112.

Demoing all those amps through 1x12s sitting up on a shelf at ear level was a horrible idea.

I had a chance a while back to play a few of them while I was in San Diego. I thought the Recto mini was pretty darn cool. Nice clean channel. On the dirty channel I have to say I only liked it with the gain at 6 or less. After that it kinda got muddy for me. A boost would have probably helped. Overall a cool and versatile amp.

I played the Tiny Terror and the Dark Terror on the same visit. I preferred the Dark Terror for what i do. I like the extra gain it had over the TinyT.

YOu have tools and wood, make an iso cab out of a closet with mics and run that shit to your daw and monitors like Pete Thorn does with his plexi :rock:

Jol has plexis :D

My favorite mini to date is still the (unmodified) Jet City JCA22H. Nice cleans on the normal channel and the overdrive channel brings the pain. Into a 2 x 12 OR 4 x12 sounds great. Can keep up with a 100-watt amp in small to medium sized venues.

Nice.

My favorite lunchbox I have tried is still my engl gigmaster. Though I would like to try the snot watt and tubemeister at some point

True -- I've only heard the ENGL and both the 5W and the 18W Tubemeister amps. You know I have mad love for Hughes & Kettner so I can say those would be my first choices, and probably the 18W over the 5W just based on features. $599 street isn't bad for the 18W Tubemeister -- haven't seen a price for the 5W yet. A UK site shows the 5W price at about $450 US.

Digital Jams":1wu9y946 said:
YOu have tools and wood, make an iso cab out of a closet with mics and run that shit to your daw and monitors like Pete Thorn does with his plexi :rock:

Jol has plexis :D

Been there done that with iso boxes, palmers, load boxes and IRs etc. I even loved the 11r. Problem is I dont enjoy playing through monitors. :(

I've got nothing against big amps...I love big amps. But if my next amp is big it has to also have a killer master and/or power scaling/attenuation whatever...

ratter":ub9xnmst said:
But you can bet if I get one of these birdcage amps it's getting a proper head shell made... :LOL: :LOL:

A Hardy Boys lunch box seems proper. May as well be in a real lunchbox.

Back