Troubleshooting a friends Hot Rod Deluxe. A little help?

Loudness250

Okay, the amp turns on but no sound. Tubes light up but v2 was blown, like Black! I replaced all tubes with my own tubes that I know work. Let me rephrase I replaced the tubes first and that's how I discovered the blown one, I turned the bias down quite a bit, then I fired it up, all tubes lit up but no sound. I pulled the main board, looked at it closely and discovered some burn marks on the tracers that go to the LED. So I jumpered the tracers. The light operates normally but still no sound. That's as far as I've gotten. Any obvious ideas off hand?

I'm Sure you've ran the obvious trouble shoots ...different wires, speakers, etc.

Did you check that fuse with a meter? I've read it's the only way to be sure about fuses.

Other than that, and/or maybe a second fuse that could've blown,,, :dunno:

Isn't V2 a 12ax_? Voltage on the plates and screens?

When a tube goes like that it will usually leave carbon traces on the socket which can't be cleaned. Should probably replace it.

Those ribbon cables are shitty and can be a problem.

Gut it and put in a real deluxe - or a marshall

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I'll take a closer look at the v2 socket, was hoping to not have to pull the tube board out. And apparently my multimeter is dead, so I need to get a new one. lol.

I would pull all the tubes and check all the voltages around the amp when you get your new multimeter.

Loudness250":1sfq7lu5 said:
I've only found one fuse which I thought was kind of weird. I didn't test it yet but it looked perfect.
I got in an amp for repair recently with a bag full of fuses, most looked good, but they were all blown. A meter is the only way to know for sure or swapping in a new fuse.

So, Bumping this old post. I ended up buying new caps for this amp. But I got super busy and did'nt get around to replacing the caps until today. Drumroll..........................................Damnit, it didn't make a bit of difference. The amp makes sounds and everything works but it won't turn up past bedroom amp levels. Any thoughts?

Loudness250":2ntrveib said:
So, Bumping this old post. I ended up buying new caps for this amp. But I got super busy and did'nt get around to replacing the caps until today. Drumroll..........................................Damnit, it didn't make a bit of difference. The amp makes sounds and everything works but it won't turn up past bedroom amp levels. Any thoughts?
Not familiar with this amp, does it have an fx loop? Try running a short patch cable from send to return. If that helps then try cleaning the jacks. The same thing worked for me with a Marshall 2205.

That is actually a really good tip because this guy had this in his garage near the salt water since like 96',lol. The top metal part of the amp is rusty, the jacks are all probably needing cleaning. No fx loop but does have preamp out and power amp in jacks, and foot switch.

Loudness250":byksw0ye said:
That is actually a really good tip because this guy had this in his garage near the salt water since like 96',lol. The top metal part of the amp is rusty, the jacks are all probably needing cleaning. No fx loop but does have preamp out and power amp in jacks, and foot switch.
I would grab contact cleaner and spray every tube socket, jacks, pots, everything man...that might be the problem. When you spray take cords/tubes and insert/pull out numerous times, that helps clean them...turn the pots etc..

Back