Tweaker 40 Head just shut down

rocndaddy

Have a Tweaker 40 head for about 1.5 yrs. Never gigged with it, always kept in my music room at home, played at moderate volumes only. Well yesterday morning it just stopped working. Was playing thru it, put it on standby and "Click", no lights or power. Checked fuse and power cable, all fine. Luckily still under extended warranty from GC. Dropped it back off at GC, they said they will handle the repair. Will let you know what transpires.

rocndaddy":2zhlu3p1 said:
Have a Tweaker 40 head for about 1.5 yrs. Never gigged with it, always kept in my music room at home, played at moderate volumes only. Well yesterday morning it just stopped working. Was playing thru it, put it on standby and "Click", no lights or power. Checked fuse and power cable, all fine. Luckily still under extended warranty from GC. Dropped it back off at GC, they said they will handle the repair. Will let you know what transpires.

Sounds like the dreaded power transformer failure. Has been an issue w/ the Tweaker 40 heads/combos.

If you bought it new from GC, even w/ the Pro Coverage, this will still be dealt with under the Egnater 3 yr warranty - just w/ GC's ext warranty company picking up shipping costs.

Seems like they had a bad run of the Chinese made transformers for the 40 watt Tweakers & a couple other amp models. I know my combo ran rather hot to the touch when new up until the PT going out in the 1st year. Did your head do the same?

What you should end up with is your Tweaker head with a new PT installed along with an internal fan to keep things cool. My combo came back with this service update done & has been smooth sailing - and comparatively cool to the touch, even after extended use periods/higher volumes - ever since.

That would be my hope, that Egnater would do the upgrade. I never noticed the Tweaker 40 head being overly warm, possibly because I biased it a little colder than recommended. I believe it was around 57. I found I liked the sound better. Either way GC told me to give them 2 weeks, then check in on it's progress.

I think they upgraded the Transformer in those after they sold a bunch.
I think you can tell by the serial number but does anyone know how to find out .
I was considering buying one myself so I need to find the info!

Mine went dead in the exact same manner. Luckily, I was still within the warranty period. I contacted Egnater, they told me to send the amp in, and they installed an upgraded transformer plus a cooling fan. I was assured that the new transformer would last the life of the amp. So far, so good.

I suggest that you check with Guitar Center and make certain that they are sending the amp back to Egnater as opposed to having their own service guy try to fix it.

What is the date code on that amp .
Good to have a cooling fan, the heat breaks down the insulated wire coating in the windings.
I take it that the output tranny went or is it the big primary transformer that shorted?

I didn't get a diagnosis of the problem before returning it to GC. With the amp not being here I can't provide the date code. I'll see if GC can tell me where they sent the head.

thickwood":1ntiwkbm said:
Ok i see , good luck on the repair and hope for the fan to be included.

If it is the same problem other Tweaker 40 owners, myself included, have had it was surely the power transformer that failed. According to Blad, the service mgr for Egnater @ Boutique Amp Distribution in Los Angeles, a service update was issued some time back that involves replacing the PT & adding the internal fan. Apparently, they also have instructions - or can on request - alter the fan speed to cut down on noise if need be (mine is rather quiet, but then I have not used this amp to record with, either). Most likely, the OP's amp went to SoCal. At least w/ the GC ext warranty there will be no shipping costs.

I wonder what changes they made in current production , if they are selling updated tranformer tweaker 40 amps i would like to know ?

The windings appear to be coated with a non conductor that fails and shorts out !
But if the amperage available is to low for the draw, heat will kill any transformer quick !

Found out the amp was shipped from northern NJ to Rochester NY for repair. Was informed the shop was waiting for a few parts and should be done in a week or so.

I wonder if the primary transformer comes from the Egnater fan kit too.
Yeah it comes from Egnater all together I would think .

Only Egnater has the specs. for the Tranny any way .

Just got the head back yesterday. Work order says it was the power transformer. Can see the replacement unit is the Elite Transformer Power Tweaker 40 unit. Played for a while, sounds great. Does not appear a fan mod was added. No big deal to me, as long as this one holds up.

Hey Rocndaddy. Just wondering who in Rochester did the work on your Tweaker. My Renegade cut out a few times and would like to get it checked out. I live in Rochester and would like to know who is an Egnater repair center. Thanks

Back