UPDATE 57/66 Thicker sounding active bridge

D-Rock

Is there an active pickup that's similar to the 81 but more meaty?

I tried the 85 but didn't like the softer attack/response or the shift in the mids.

Depends on how meaty you wanna go.

The Duncan AHB-1B has a lot more going on in the lows and low-mids compared to an 81. Also more treble and a lot more output.

The JH-B has slightly meatier lower mids than and 81 with a touch more attack, and is considerably hotter as well. To me, it's as hot as a Duncan Blackout yet tighter and more focused.

The 57 is kinda halfway between an 81 and an 85. It's beefier than an 81, but sharper/tighter than an 85.

In humbucker mode, the 81TW is a slightly fatter yet slightly quieter/less hot 81 too.

Then there's the 81X which is kinda like an 18V-modded 81 with slightly less output.

What about the 85 running at 18v?

I have no experience with this, but have heard it helps with the "roundness" of the 85.

Interesting thanks. I have Blackouts in another guitar and like them alot.
Both the 57/66 set and Het set have intrigued me for a while.
Thing is, I like everything else about the 81/85 set. No other complaints. I just wish the bottom end of the 81 was as thick as the Blackout and my Black Winter. It's almost there, but not quite. Maybe it's the guitar? The 81 is in an LTD Horizon NT350.

What does everyone think about the Fluence Modern bridge in comparison in relation to the bass?

What about SD Live Wires? I like the JB, which the bridge is modeled after. I also like Mustaine's tone on everything after The System has Failed.

I'd think being an active version of the JB it would have a tightened up lowend and clearer overall sound, which are my only two small complaints with the JB for high gain metal.

Try the Ahb-3 EMTY Mick Thompson Blackout - dials out some of the boom in the standard Black out - it's a total monster :)

Getting my first set of Fluence Moderns this week I'll report back on them too

Are all active brands compatible with the EMG quik connect? I mean, do they all use the same system and its just plug in a play?

D-Rock":3ar0q8cs said:
Are all active brands compatible with the EMG quik connect? I mean, do they all use the same system and its just plug in a play?

Seymour Duncan and EMG use the same system - Fishman have a slightly different system as there are two preamp modes - I think you can only connect one preamp using the EMG connectors - not 100% sure on that one though!

angelspade":2lbvkd1l said:
You will likely dig the 57....Thicker, warmer and more organic than the 81

Does it have the Attack of the 81?

I have a Chrome 57/66 Set Brand New in Box that I may be putting in a LP Studio my Wife Bought me a Year ago.

Detroit1973":1iui6pam said:
angelspade":1iui6pam said:

I have a Chrome 57/66 Set Brand New in Box that I may be putting in a LP Studio my Wife Bought me a Year ago.

Similar in regards to attack and general aggressiveness....The main difference is in the character of the mids (more organic and "passive" sounding), and the they are less compressed, more "open" sounding than the 81. Still GREAT for metal, and can sound very "brutal".

angelspade":nk9srp0r said:
Detroit1973":nk9srp0r said:
angelspade":nk9srp0r said:

Similar in regards to attack and general aggressiveness....The main difference is in the character of the mids (more organic and "passive" sounding), and the they are less compressed, more "open" sounding than the 81. Still GREAT for metal, and can sound very "brutal".

Thank you!

No, didn't want to add an extra battery. Was set on new pups for the guitar in question.

I dont think the 18v thing will make an 81 sound thicker.

I think someone mentioned the Duncan Blackout above. just got a guitar with Blackouts: waaay hot. Thick sounding I guess, but not really like an 81. The EMG 57 was more 81-like.

Back