Using MPSa06 / 2N5400 as Jose - style clippers

fusedbrain

So when using these as clippers, we use the emitter and base connections.
So far, so good.....
Does it matter if the 2 transistors are connected together emitter to emitter or base to base?
Is it better to do it one way for the MPSa06 and the other way for 2N5400?
It's been a while since I messed with this, and I can't remember if it mattered or not.
Thanks

One is NPN and the other is PNP so yes it does matter IF you are mixing them (like for asymmetrical distortion). If not mixing them I don't think it matters.

My 80s mode is 4x MPSA06 connected BE-EB-BE-EB. Merren found that in a real Jose so I tried it and liked it way better than just 2x MPSA06. So then I decided to get cute and make a similar string but subbing in two 2N5400 to make it a little asymmetrical. But I did not account for the NPN vs PNP. So it ended up being a very large and expensive 18v zener (4v+4v+5v+5v). Not wanting to waste it, I paired it with a 20v zener in the other direction and that is my 70's mode. I had to try it in both directions and one direction sounded way better than the other. Not as smooth but it seems to have better string-to-string articulation.

EDIT: And after all that I tend to prefer it with Gain cranked and no clippers. But I'm not super high gain...my brain is stuck in "80's mode" and the amp can get there on its own. It's very Molecular-like circuitwise.

Last edited:
One is NPN and the other is PNP so yes it does matter IF you are mixing them (like for asymmetrical distortion). If not mixing them I don't think it matters.

My 80s mode is 4x MPSA06 connected BE-EB-BE-EB. Merren found that in a real Jose so I tried it and liked it way better than just 2x MPSA06. So then I decided to get cute and make a similar string but subbing in two 2N5400 to make it a little asymmetrical. But I did not account for the NPN vs PNP. So it ended up being a very large and expensive 18v zener (4v+4v+5v+5v). Not wanting to waste it, I paired it with a 20v zener in the other direction and that is my 70's mode. I had to try it in both directions and one direction sounded way better than the other. Not as smooth but it seems to have better string-to-string articulation.

EDIT: And after all that I tend to prefer it with Gain cranked and no clippers. But I'm not super high gain...my brain is stuck in "80's mode" and the amp can get there on its own. It's very Molecular-like circuitwise.
Thanks (y)
I think you're right, and it doesn't matter if using 2 of the same type.
Seems as though the most common config is the emitters connected together, and the bases connected to the MV and ground respectively.
That's what is shown on a lot of the schematics I have, but you never know if they are drawn correctly.

Jeezus, I'm an idiot :doh::doh::doh:
Found this from 2017.
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/zener-diode-changes-on-a-ceriatone-chupacabra-yeti.193681/I even posted a pin out diagram and a portion of a CCV scheme in this old thread.
Fuk me I'm getting old. I can't even remember what I had for breakfast sometimes
I mean, it was 3 years ago, right??? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I guess I was just wondering if the way the transistors are drawn in the schematic I posted in the old thread is actually the best way to wire them up.
Last couple posts on page 3 seem to confirm what SpiderWars stated above.

If anybody has anything to add, great!
Otherwise ....... nevermind

Ha, I've done that. Sometimes they are old posts (like >15 years) from the Music Electronics Forum. Apparently I've forgotten a lot. :LOL:

You all may want to try the MPSW06. It’s the 1 watt equivalent of the MPSA06. A lot easier to work with size size.

Attachments

• 46BA3DF3-421C-4F61-A932-3C8F33840304.jpeg
    46BA3DF3-421C-4F61-A932-3C8F33840304.jpeg
    391.2 KB · Views: 75
Yeah those tiny fuckers are a pain. Good tip on the 1-watters. And as far as how you connect them, I've tried it both ways and it's all the same.

You might want to try some 22 volt or maybe slightly higher. They can add just a touch of saturation and might help with feel.

Back