Van Halen *FULL SHOW* 1978 September 8. 8mm - 4k - Niagara Falls Convention Center on September 8, 1978.

Then going back to listening to Ossie Ahsen Mighty Mite 1300 pickup shoot out with the vintage and new Mighty Mite 1300 it sounds fantastic to me(opinion).

the very strange twist to this revelation in my world is that the first time i ever tried tapping was on a ukulele with a pick when trying to figure out the *sound* ace frehley was making on the newly released 1977 kiss alive II during his “Shock Me” solo. jump to 5:07

this was before i was aware of evh’s whole technical world and i was just barely starting to play guitar on my sister’s nylon string. and regarding whether ace got it from vh during the gene simmons demo era, i believe this ace footage would predate that time frame and be very similar to what eddie mentioned/demonstrated in his smithsonian interview about picking up the idea from jimmy page at a zeppelin concert:

Wireless sucked a lot of output in those days
I don't think Ed went wireless until the Japan leg of the tour if I remember correctly, then he was wireless after that. I think they got back from Japan in July 1978 so this 9/8/78 show would be wireless.

6/10/78London, UKHammersmith OdeonBlack Sabbath
6/11/78London, UKHammersmith OdeonBlack Sabbath Canceled (equip. failure)
6/17/78Tokyo, JPKosei Nenkin HallN/A
6/19/78Tokyo, JPKosei Nenkin HallN/A
6/21/78Tokyo, JPNakono Sun Plaza HallN/A
6/22/78Tokyo, JPNakono Sun Plaza HallN/A
6/24/78Nagoya, JPNagoya-Shi KokaidoN/A
6/25/78Osaka, JPFestival HallN/A
6/27/78Osaka, JPKosei Nenkin HallN/A
7/01/78Dallas, TXCotton Bowl (Texxas Jam)Head East/Walter Egan/Van Halen/Eddie Money/Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush/Journey/
Heart/Ted Nugent/Cheech and Chong/Atlanta Rhythm Section/Aerosmith (order unknown)
7/02/78San Antonio, TXMunicipal Auditorium** Head East
7/03/78Austin, TX
Armadillo World Headquarters
Bugs Henderson Group

I saw VH open for Black Sabbath (Never Say Die tour) in '78. VH was like nothing we'd ever heard or seen, mindblowing...went to our local independent record store, and they only had a few copies of VH 1, and I got mine... I think the show was in August '78, either New Haven Coliseum or Hartford Civic Center.

Reactions: PDC
I don't think Ed went wireless until the Japan leg of the tour if I remember correctly, then he was wireless after that. I think they got back from Japan in July 1978 so this 9/8/78 show would be wireless.

6/10/78London, UKHammersmith OdeonBlack Sabbath
6/11/78London, UKHammersmith OdeonBlack Sabbath Canceled (equip. failure)
6/17/78Tokyo, JPKosei Nenkin HallN/A
6/19/78Tokyo, JPKosei Nenkin HallN/A
6/21/78Tokyo, JPNakono Sun Plaza HallN/A
6/22/78Tokyo, JPNakono Sun Plaza HallN/A
6/24/78Nagoya, JPNagoya-Shi KokaidoN/A
6/25/78Osaka, JPFestival HallN/A
6/27/78Osaka, JPKosei Nenkin HallN/A
7/01/78Dallas, TXCotton Bowl (Texxas Jam)Head East/Walter Egan/Van Halen/Eddie Money/Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush/Journey/
Heart/Ted Nugent/Cheech and Chong/Atlanta Rhythm Section/Aerosmith (order unknown)
7/02/78San Antonio, TXMunicipal Auditorium** Head East
7/03/78Austin, TX
Armadillo World Headquarters
Bugs Henderson Group
Okay that’s good info. Then even lower output!

Had a conversation yesterday with Jim Gausted about one of his YouTube clips and it was the one with the Metro Amp and the pickup in his black/red/white franky he’s using the Duncan 78 and in his black and white franky he’s using a Gibson 57 classic 7.6k with a short alnico 5 magnet he took out the alnico 2. Jim was telling me the reason he likes the Duncan 78 in his black/red/white franky is it has a Floyd Rose and he likes the Duncan 78 because it has a alnico 2 magnet which warms it up due to the Floyd rose which tend to be thin and bright to begin with.

Back