Van Halen full show Niagara Falls New York September 8, 1978. Footage recently posted on YT

harddriver

Some guy just posted this 1 month ago....the audio is very very clear for 8MM. Another interesting note since this was September 8th Ed still had not gotten 12301 or his other amps back from being lost by the airlines coming back from Japan. The amps in this show are not the famous 12301 plexi nor his other amp used in the first leg of the 78 tour and in Japan.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting all these video's, I for one really appreciate them.

Would be super cool if you posted them in my VH thread as well - but no biggie. Thanks !!!
Sometimes I forget about ongoing threads........go ahead and add it to your thread. This is just some YT video I found.

I just thought the audio was way better than the Selland Arena full show which was 8 MM as well so I wanted to post it up.

His tone is noticeably different
After all that crazy whammy bar stuff at the end of his solo he would use the Shark or that white Les Paul for You Really Got Me. I`ve got a bunch of pics of it with a couple different pickups in the bridge but this is the first time I`ve seen video of it

1708388765505.png

Last edited:
Ed's blazing his ass off and even without his main Marshall he still sounded light years better than anyone else.

This recording and many other from this era of VH prove that all that "Roth was always a lousy singer" talk is BULLSHIT.
Was he Robert Plant? No, he was David Lee Fuckin' Roth and he sang his ass off. He looked like Jim Dandy from Black Oak, but Dave's vocal style and stage persona was 100% Dave. As far as being a frontman goes, for my money he set the standard. Gene Simmons has said that Dave was the best frontman ever and I agree. They didn't call him "The Toastmaster General" for nothing. Back then he was the fuckin' King.

Anyone who doubts Mike Anthony's talent as a bassist is beyond deaf. I play drums and guitar and that guy is a drummer's dream. I'd love to get behind my kit and play alongside him. Rick Beato played some isolated tracks of Mike and Alex from the first album, and my God, they were ON. Tight as fuck. Pocket for days, and they had SWING.

Speaking of Al, he was a beast and doesn't get nearly enough credit. Ed said it best: "My brother is the baddest motherfucker on drums on the planet. Bonham's gone. There's no one else." Yep.

Last edited:
I saw them a week earlier Aug. 28, 1978, at the Nassau Coliseum on Long Island. This video is a reminder of what we witnessed that night. They smoked Sabbath off the stage. We left a few songs into Sabbath's set. They were painfully loud.

Growing up in the 70’s and 80’s, there was nobody like them. Just crazy groundbreaking rock. Ed’s playing and sound were just revolutionary….not trying to sound cliche…like the Beatles, then Hendrix…Boom-Van Halen…at least to me anyway….

Growing up in the 70’s and 80’s, there was nobody like them. Just crazy groundbreaking rock. Ed’s playing and sound were just revolutionary….not trying to sound cliche…like the Beatles, then Hendrix…Boom-Van Halen…at least to me anyway….

You don't sound cliche at all. The rock guitar world changed overnight. I was 16 when I first heard Eruption and You Really Got Me the day they were released. Ed became my favorite guitar player right then and there. Then I heard the entire album. Mind blown. Life changed. My course was set. I had to become a musician. I've never regretted it.

Last edited:
My God they were a live force of nature. I doubt there was a band on the planet that they wouldn’t have blown off the stage back then. And it didn’t matter what Marshalls Ed was plugged into.

Anyone who doubts Mike Anthony's talent as a bassist is beyond deaf. I play drums and guitar and that guy is a drummer's dream. I'd love to get behind my kit and play alongside him. Rick Beato played some isolated tracks of Mike and Alex from the first album, and my God, they were ON. Tight as fuck. Pocket for days, and they had SWING.
I didn't mention it but if you listen closely you will hear bass fills that Michael Anthony is laying down here is right up there with any bass prodigy that I have heard and they all fit the song structures without sounding like he is Billy Sheehan soloing nonstop.

Last edited:
I didn't mention it but if you listen closely you will hear bass fills that Michael Anthony is laying down here is right up there with any bass prodigy that I have heard and they all fit the song structures without sounding like he is Billy Sheehan soloing nonstop.

Yep. Mike is a beast, no doubt about it.

I think Mike catches a lot of crap for not being a great bass player. He is no bass virtuoso and if you rank him that way I’d direct you to listen to some Larry Graham, BUT, he is a solid rock bassist with great timing, great feel, groove and some very tasty licks. And VH would not be VH without those harmonies.

God damn Eddie was a bad ass.

I think Mike catches a lot of crap for not being a great bass player. He is no bass virtuoso and if you rank him that way I’d direct you to listen to some Larry Graham, BUT, he is a solid rock bassist with great timing, great feel, groove and some very tasty licks. And VH would not be VH without those harmonies.

God damn Eddie was a bad ass.

I bow to Larry Graham. Larry invented slap bass playing on this tune. He's a GOAT level musician. Much respect for that man.

Back