Van Halen update

7 Stringer":pigkp5ah said:
Goat":pigkp5ah said:
7 Stringer":pigkp5ah said:
Goat":pigkp5ah said:
As far as I know, David Lee Roth wrote the melody to all the songs.

Ha ha.
:confused:

From VH 1 too 1984? All? Yeah right. Lyrics maybe, but all the melodies....
Are you saying that Ed played-out the melody, and Dave put lyrics to it? I don't think so... I'm not saying I'm right, I just don't think that's the way it went down. The lead vocalist/lyric writer is generally responsible for writing the melody.

Let's give Eddie credit for the fact that he DID write songs, and co-wrote many OK and not get sucked down into a cesspool. There are resources online that get into this in more detail. It IS a pretty well known fact that he was not a lyric writer and the information that is out there can be sketchy at best.

The guy is a straight up musician, not that David is not, so I can totally see Eddie coming up with riffs and David adding lyrics ad hoc. That's how I read it anyway.

I sometimes wonder if we will ever hear such a great pairing again. The DLR era VH music has stood the test of time, as well as any of the most classic compositions. DLR is an American icon. One of the greatest frontmen to ever grace a rock and roll stage.

Goat":38amdoyd said:
7 Stringer":38amdoyd said:
7 Stringer":38amdoyd said:
As far as I know, David Lee Roth wrote the melody to all the songs.

Ha ha.
:confused:

From VH 1 too 1984? All? Yeah right. Lyrics maybe, but all the melodies....
Are you saying that Ed played-out the melody, and Dave put lyrics to it? I don't think so... I'm not saying I'm right, I just don't think that's the way it went down. The lead vocalist/lyric writer is generally responsible for writing the melody.

I think they co labbed, i mean listen to Eddie's rythms
, they have a melody all there own. He has the piano background, the swing, the solo's even have a melody. For sure it ain't only Dave.

I could be wrong, but who knows for sure?

Dave :LOL: :LOL:
Eddie :doh:
Alex :no:
Mike :confused:

:rock:

surprised these haven't been posted yet .... Eddie at the Tool concert last night

and this one was some guy asking Eddie to take a photo of him and the stage..apparently he had no idea it was EVH

Attachments

• 72701317_10156652637773479_25072425641181184_n.jpg
    72701317_10156652637773479_25072425641181184_n.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,536
  • 73495104_969630306705500_6740633974852288512_n.jpg
    73495104_969630306705500_6740633974852288512_n.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 1,545
sytharnia1560":3cbof5f9 said:
surprised these haven't been posted yet .... Eddie at the Tool concert last night

Thank you so much for posting this :thumbsup:

He looks to be in great shape to me. Too bad he couldn't get better seats LOL.

sytharnia1560":3cbof5f9 said:
and this one was some guy asking Eddie to take a photo of him and the stage..apparently he had no idea it was EVH

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Goat":3nzvx5hz said:
DLR is an American icon. One of the greatest frontmen to ever grace a rock and roll stage.

Definitely. Couldn't agree more.

And I'd love nothing more for them to get back together again.

I caught the yellow pick from him and it's as thin as printer paper, can't believe he can get so much attack with it.
standard.jpg

Fiesta Red":vujnpn19 said:
BRENTrocks":vujnpn19 said:

I've wondered about the picks he uses.

Are those heavys? Mediums?

I took those pictures back in college when I shot for my college newspaper.

They are mediums.

I got to meet Eddie on the VH3 tour. He signed that pic that I took of him on the FUCK TOUR.

BRENTrocks":15rnm4xx said:

Wow. No shit dude? You were that close to him? I would have been like duh da da duh doh dud...

:LOL: :LOL:

Did you take all the rest of those pics? Nice work regardless. Super jealous.

311splawndude":3jz4gs4v said:
BRENTrocks":3jz4gs4v said:

Wow. No shit dude? You were that close to him? I would have been like duh da da duh doh dud...

Yeah, no kidding...

did the RR take the photo?

311splawndude":2o8g6unq said:
BRENTrocks":2o8g6unq said:

I did take all the pics. Thanks man!!

Meeting Eddie was definitely a bucket list item!!! It was a very short meeting, cool, none the less.

sytharnia1560":3rwrbmdm said:

He can't get better seats than that?

Minor update is that it sounds like Eddie is taking some kind of medication for his cancer and that the medication caused him some pain so he went to the hospital. He was released. The article goes on to say that he is NOT on his death bed.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... _says.html <-------- HERE

Thought I'd share the update. I didn't see this on VHND or any other official site. I read it on Ultimate Guitar which ripped it from Blabbermouth which heard it from TMZ so it is def hearsay. :LOL: :LOL:

I've put together a humble tribute on top of the pool table. It includes my tennis racket, some of my first guitars,
magazine references, books on VH and Eddie, and my hoodie, etc.

AZOfk2Wl.jpg

AZOfk2W.jpg

Back