Van Halen Let's Get Rockin'...am I late to the party

threadkiller

WTF. this song is amazing and I never heard it until tonight. How did I miss out. Anyone know how I can get a copy.

Agreed on the demos. I was underwhelmed on the remakes. Wish they would written new material and EVH would have used less gain.

Another cool old demo song is "Young and Wild" - love that tune.

legend71":pzq8xg95 said:
Agreed on the demos. I was underwhelmed on the remakes. Wish they would written new material and EVH would have used less gain.

Another cool old demo song is "Young and Wild" - love that tune.

Agreed. I appreciate the new album but it's way too gained out. Muddy at times. Too bad.

In my opinion, both the unreleased demo and the remake should have remained unreleased. We got the cream of the crop of early VH on the stuff up to 1984. If the rest of this stuff was good, it would have been on one of those albums...

Steve

I agree, Let's Get Rockin sounds way better on the demo's.

"Please Don't Leave Me Alone" became "That Beat's Working", with the original sounding better, with better lyrics. Same goes for "Big River" (formerly Big Trouble)!

Too bad all new VH tunes sound like a gained out mess!

sah5150":2f5dmx5f said:
In my opinion, both the unreleased demo and the remake should have remained unreleased. We got the cream of the crop of early VH on the stuff up to 1984. If the rest of this stuff was good, it would have been on one of those albums...

Steve

Amen to that. Maybe stretching it a bit, but on some of them it would be like adding words to a Satch instrumental. As a fan, cool they had a new record, but meh that the music was not anything new at all.

Hate to speculate but if they reunited back in 1996 and did music, that would've been stellar. Me Wise Magic and Can't Get This Stuff were both excellent new material and Eddie's tone was in a great place at the time.

It's not just the guitar that's too gained out on Different Kind of Truth. The whole mix is too hot and everything gets compressed. The bass is a muddy mess.

So any legal and safe way that isn't going to involve going to some shady website full of viruses to get a copy of this tune, the demo version?

Different Kind Of Truth is a cool album
I never really listened tot he demos more than once, I'm sure the tones were better....

I think with the new album in 2012, they reworked the demos and did the best they could at reworking and finishing these demos

I don't like judging on mixes and tone
music should be about the notes, the songs and the completed album as a piece of art, with I think ADKOT is

The tunes in ADKOT were nothing new, the tone was pretty gainy, the bass was way too loud in the mix, the absence of MA's background vocals was a bummer, but...EVH's playing was pretty smoking, IMHO. I thought he tore it up. It was fun to hear the one and only DLR on some "new" material. Maybe we over analyze this kind of stuff? It's just rock n roll.

AndyK":2kq76vee said:
I agree, Let's Get Rockin sounds way better on the demo's.

"Please Don't Leave Me Alone" became "That Beat's Working", with the original sounding better, with better lyrics. Same goes for "Big River" (formerly Big Trouble)!

Too bad all new VH tunes sound like a gained out mess!

"Turn Out The Lights" became "Beats Workin'" - "Babe Don't Leave Me Alone" didn't get remade though it is a great riff (along with "No More Waiting").

Back