Van Halen tribute band 1st album played in entirety You have to check this guitarist out.....

So good.

I know we have a lot of EVH threads these days as it is but I almost posted a thread asking 'Who out there is as close to Edward in the swing department' or something like that. This may be the guy, along with a hand full of others like Al Estrada as mentioned.

So good.

I know we have a lot of EVH threads these days as it is but I almost posted a thread asking 'Who out there is as close to Edward in the swing department' or something like that. This may be the guy, along with a hand full of others like Al Estrada as mentioned.
What about that Jacob Deraps dude?

Definitely not trying to start an argument, but why would the motivation really matter? For every 1 Ed (or Vai, or Satch, or name your guy...) there are a million others with with massive love for the music and energy those few have created - but no fountain of that creative ‘gift’ where original music came from. For every Mozart there are a million Salieris. If someone is having fun and is excited about music, I really don’t care if it all relates back to their first Beatles album, or their first VH album, or their first Malmsteen or Racer-X album. Go. Play. Enjoy.

Just think the TONS & TONS & TONS of folks who have 5x more money in their gear and can’t play 1/2 as well as some of the EVH, SRV, Etc ‘Tribute’ players out there. And those folks owe no apologies to those with far more talent and far less budget.

At the end of the day, its music, its art, its expression, its inspiration. Envy and jealousy are evil bitches. They will rob you of your joy for life.
No argument on any of your points. I'm just saying it's crazy to me how many guys spend TONS & TONS & TONS of their time trying to emulate another guy's playing.

Reactions: PDC
Definitely not trying to start an argument, but why would the motivation really matter? For every 1 Ed (or Vai, or Satch, or name your guy...) there are a million others with with massive love for the music and energy those few have created - but no fountain of that creative ‘gift’ where original music came from. For every Mozart there are a million Salieris. If someone is having fun and is excited about music, I really don’t care if it all relates back to their first Beatles album, or their first VH album, or their first Malmsteen or Racer-X album. Go. Play. Enjoy.

Just think the TONS & TONS & TONS of folks who have 5x more money in their gear and can’t play 1/2 as well as some of the EVH, SRV, Etc ‘Tribute’ players out there. And those folks owe no apologies to those with far more talent and far less budget.

At the end of the day, its music, its art, its expression, its inspiration. Envy and jealousy are evil bitches. They will rob you of your joy for life.
Jealousy is the key word here, I think. The band is tighter than many original bands. And they're obviously getting gigs. And guys at that level really doesn't have to use that much energy to "sound like" anyone. You could probably sling an LP around his neck, and have him playing G&R or Whitesnake songs all night long. To me, it sounds like he's spent hours and hours on getting GOOD.

At least he could hide the Kemper & turn the power light on the Marshall lol.
But after a few drinks & a fatty nobody knows what your playing anyway.
Glad i got to see Van Halen in their prime anyway.
It's on, man :D

Attachments

• on.jpg
    on.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 100
That does sound really good. He's using, and apparently mic'ing, the 4x12 so I guess that makes the Kemper just the preamp, right? No IRs and then into a power amp (sitting below?), then cab? That tone makes a case for Kemper but I'm curious if I'm hearing the cab/mic. Still would be interested to hear that Warsha mod.

... turn the power light on the Marshall lol.
Ehm, you may wanna check again. I see a nice little red square lit.

They sound pretty damn good, but that Pete Thorn/Friedman deep dive video really sounded better.
This cover band's guitar tone has something abrasive that sets it apart IMO from the VH1 tone. Sure, Ed's tone was gurgly, bright, brown, but not this abrasive.
For reference, I'm listening through Beyer DT990 Pro cans.

It's crazy to me how many guys spend TONS & TONS & TONS of their time trying to emulate another guy's playing.
I think you answered you own question in a previous thread that you started
I know, I know, there are too many threads on Eddie VH around here these days, but still.....

I just have to say how amazing it is that this guy is a guitar god for so many of us, who also happened to be the song-writing force of one of the world's biggest rock band....and after all that: He has his own music gear company that makes damn good guitars AND amps! I've never owned any EVH gear, but whenever I check something out I'm impressed. It seems to always be well designed, put together, set up...and play and sound really good! If it were guitars OR amps, it'd be impressive....but both?!! That's crazy.

Scrolling this site for years, I know you all know this stuff about his gear more than I through 1st-hand experience, but I'm just putting it out there for appreciation to this huge accomplishment that often gets taken for granted.

I thought the singer did a pretty good job actually. Way better than DLR in the last 10 years. He has some DLR inflections but still sort of does his own thing. At least he dressed like lounge singer DLR lol. Guitar player is awesome.. tone is a little fizzy so I am guessing it is Kemper using his Marshall power section. Great playing but I don't think any more spot on than anyone else who does it really well.

Also just a personal gripe but everyone and their dog playing Eruption is getting old for me. We get it...tap tap tap tap. It was boring for me when Ed would do it live the last 20 years, I don't need to hear another person do it. Kind of like 99 in hockey, retire it.

Back