Vintage gear prices are only going lower

squank

Don't you think? As the number of vintage players dies off and our numbers continue to decline, the demand should continue to drop.

I read an article earlier this year about Elvis memorabilia. It used to be a rock-solid (no pun intended) investment, but now shit is getting only half what it used to. The die-hard fans are dying off (sorry for the bad pun). Seems like the same thing will soon happen to vintage gear (or is already happening).

Rare for rare's sake will always command a price. But i think you are right, there is a time when things are at their peak, usually when a group of people hit their nostalgic period, and then when it's done, will drop in price.

Depends on what gear. I don’t think vintage Marshall plexi prices will go down much. I’ve played a ton of different clones any have yet to hear one sound like the real thing. Close, yeah, exact, nope.

psychodave":2vjlgt47 said:
Depends on what gear. I don’t think vintage Marshall plexi prices will go down much. I’ve played a ton of different clones any have yet to hear one sound like the real thing. Close, yeah, exact, nope.
I'll add that the number of untouched Marshalls will continue to drop as guys that do find them will mod them to some extent.
So if you have a stock vintage Marshall, best leave her be if you care about maximizing value.

Racerxrated":lwhszcug said:
psychodave":lwhszcug said:
I'll add that the number of untouched Marshalls will continue to drop as guys that do find them will mod them to some extent.
So if you have a stock vintage Marshall, best leave her be if you care about maximizing value.

You mean you wouldn't get your vintage Marshall modded to "perfection"? :LOL: :LOL:

HpknsnJ.png

YiI37.jpg

vultures":1uh78b05 said:
Racerxrated":1uh78b05 said:
psychodave":1uh78b05 said:

You mean you wouldn't get your vintage Marshall modded to "perfection"? :LOL: :LOL:

HpknsnJ.png

YiI37.jpg
Oh, I'd definitely send one in for an 'afterbirth mod' if the right modder was open for business....

vultures":1dz5tmvc said:
Racerxrated":1dz5tmvc said:
psychodave":1dz5tmvc said:

HpknsnJ.png

YiI37.jpg

Well, Cameron modded Marshall’s are still selling for big bucks and fetching way more than if you were to sell the stock underlying amp. I’ve had offers of $3k and up on my Aldrich.

^^Cameron afterbirth mod. Cmon man, how long you been here?? Lol.
Sounds killer though. Best modded Marshall tones I've heard.

vultures":j52vefo1 said:
Racerxrated":j52vefo1 said:
psychodave":j52vefo1 said:

HpknsnJ.png

YiI37.jpg
They changed the original knobs!!! FOOLS!!!!!

With only a few exceptions I'm seeing nice gear priced right just sitting for sale, just a few years ago it would have moved quickly. I tend to agree with the OP that since there isn't a youth market for this stuff and as the nostalgic crowds gets older they either don't want any more stuff or are looking to sell what they have in a down market.

Just what I see here locally... :no:

IMO, it's a crap shoot. When I started playing, there wasn't any vintage gear, just used gear. The Gibson & Fender guitars from the 50's were old and revered, my 68 LP Custom I bought in 1975 was just used, period. Since then I've acquired a few old guitars, now considered vintage. They weren't all keepers, just like not every new guitar is a keeper.

However, once you play and fall in love with something like my 59 LP Junior, or a 61 SG Standard with PAF's, you're pretty much hooked on getting more. Not everyone gets it, or appreciates it, so there will always be a smaller market for them.

But, once you compare good old guitars vs new guitars, you can tell the difference immediately. I think it's the older finish and wood drying out, plus the better electronics (pickups, pots/caps, etc).

And for the record, I'm not into that "relic" paint job or aging stuff. That's just faking yourself out for a premium price.

Just my .02 based on my experiences.

As for amps, I've got 4 old Marshalls (68-71), they're not going anywhere soon, although I take my clones out to trade shows and gigs.

I've found some steals at GC over the years, but lately the vintage Marshall stuff has gone up to almost Reverb prices, so I don't see that many smokin deals anymore on that site. Craigslist locally has not had much for deals either in Vintage Marshall, so I haven't seen that much of a change.
But I do get the OPs point, it would stand to reason that as our age group ages the demand will drop, lowering prices.

Back