Vintage Speakers Question

dooredge

dooredge

Well-known member
I have some old Fane speakers I pulled from my 1983 HiWatt cab several years ago. They've been sitting in boxes ever since.

Yes, I played through them and they all worked, but I don't think they're really designed for "metal" and replaced them with Celestion.

How would I go about verifying they are structurally / mechanically sound after all these years? I would like to sell them, but don't want to drop ticking timebombs on an unsuspecting buyer.

Appreciate any feedback \,,/
 
Yes, I played through them and they all worked, but I don't think they're really designed for "metal" and replaced them with Celestion.

How would I go about verifying they are structurally / mechanically sound after all these years? I would like to sell them, but don't want to drop ticking timebombs on an unsuspecting buyer.
I would say you already have your answer. They are working speakers. Unless they are making blown speaker type noises, have holes in the cones or tears in the surround, or severe case of bad cosmetics I don't see it as dropping anything on anyone.
 
It doesn't hurt to test them. For a quick piece of mind test you can use a 9 volt battery. If you have a multimeter you can do a more thorough test, and also provide visual evidence that the speaker tests good for your adds. Take a pic of the speaker and multimeter with the date. That way you have proof it was in working order as of the date the add was placed for any claim in the case of a speaker arriving damaged via shipping.

Here's a quick article on the two processes.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/how-to-test-a-speaker/
 
Back
Top