Was EVH using his old trusty Marshall still in 1985?

I actually sold my last 1959 years ago. I'd gotten done with the latest band, and we had our first child, so all my gear was home for the first time in years.......and we'd moved into an actual house! Anyhow, my wife takes the baby out and I decide to plug in and play for a bit "at volume". I did and had fun, but when I went upstairs, I'd knocked a dozen things off shelves, off the wall, some broken, etc. It was ridiculous. I listed it later that day and just moved it. I can image playing one in that kind of environment. (Hell, I only played 2203's on stage. I never played anywhere I could reasonably crank a 1959 on stage. I recorded it a few times. That was it.)

You did the right thing, since you easily can achieve all these nmv plexi tones from a DSL15 and a loadbox. Just use some "post eq" to dial back in the "missing bass frequencies" since that's how that works.

Ask the tone douche, he wrote a peer reviewed guitar tone book! With reliable "sources" like Glenn Fricker, Fluff, and Guitar Max!

You did the right thing, since you easily can achieve all these nmv plexi tones from a DSL15 and a loadbox. Just use some "post eq" to dial back in the "missing bass frequencies" since that's how that works.

Ask the tone douche, he wrote a peer reviewed guitar tone book! With reliable "sources" like Glenn Fricker, Fluff, and Guitar Max!
I've never seen anyone with a more punchable face than Fluff :D

Did you know that Eddie Achieved his tone through the use of a 30 watt Dumble Overdrive Special boosted with a Metal Zone set to Murder Mode & back then in 19811/3 he was using 1 EMG 81? Chris did you know this? I believe there may have been a variac that dropped the dumble down to exactly 15 1/2 watts to match his favorite amp(Crate Blue Doodoo Lunch Box Model) that was lost in a fire when he was harvesting The Yummy Fluids of a Humbolt Squid in the Sea of Cortez. Sammy got really drunk that day & they had to come in early.
I thought it was the metal picks and copious amounts of Mac D they would consume? :shocked:

Don't you morons know the key to EVH tone is to use vintage carbon zinc batteries in a Plexi? Their less robust output really helps to achieve the voltage sag required for the brown sound. I'm not even sure alkalines were available in the late 70's so this makes complete sense. As the great Lionel Hutz would say, "case closed."

Last edited:
I can only speak of my own experience with my amp, but I bought a variac to try with my Sound City just for the hell of it, and the only difference I really notice (going as far down as ~80 volts - never went lower than that) is that the pilot light dims :LOL:

I don't think I've tried it with my VTM yet; gonna have to do that sometime

I did do the right thing with it because really the 1959 wasn't my sound, but I do regret selling the 2203. That had been my core sound for years, and with it I mostly sold it just to clear out space and get some cash. I kept thinking once prices came down I'd buy it back, but I never have gotten around to getting another one.

I know you're joking on the other, but the 2203 eats away at me. The 1959, not so much.

I did do the right thing with it because really the 1959 wasn't my sound, but I do regret selling the 2203. That had been my core sound for years, and with it I mostly sold it just to clear out space and get some cash. I kept thinking once prices came down I'd buy it back, but I never have gotten around to getting another one.

I know you're joking on the other, but the 2203 eats away at me. The 1959, not so much.

I totally understand how you feel.

Once you find an amp that jives with you, that becomes your sound, you'll always regret it if you give it up.

Hope you find another one.

Imagine if EVH sucked at playing guitar?? He experiments and achieves killer tones just to sound like shit because he plays like shit?!

Which begs the question...which came first, the tone or the skills?

I checked some sources who gave me some stuff that will blow your mind. This is deep deep archive type stuff.

Eddie used Fenders to get that tone you are all chasing. You've been wasting your time and money.

Here is the proof :D

VA5DE5S.jpg

BwZHr6M.jpg

Sqrxuv5.jpg

That last one may actually be a Music Man but my point is the same. Sources people. Sources.
VH I was not recorded using a Fender amp, but... Fender (Music Man, HIWATT, HH, etc... ) would have worked, since the plexi was being used as a P.A.. It (the plexi) was a stock amp with aftermarket transformers and caps. As far as the variac goes, Ed may have used one bring the line down to 110VAC. 90VAC... I'm not a believer. Frank Zappa was telling people that Ed used a Fender for VH I, which is incorrect.

For me that tone on steroids is my Slo 100, for a slightly more vintage tone I play through my Be 100w deluxe. Neither are spot on 100% exact but it pleases my ears with killer mids that cut and a very defined note articulate gain. :giggle:

Imagine if EVH sucked at playing guitar?? He experiments and achieves killer tones just to sound like shit because he plays like shit?!

Had to have been an unquenchable drive to play coupled with great ears, and timing. then add the killer plexi tone which drove his playing into the stratosphere.

Skills. Amp manufacturers were trying to keep up with him while he was making their amps sound better by tinkering with them.

Back