What amps have you not had ?

Also worth mentioning regarding the C+ (and MKIII up to Green stripe) is that there were several different versions. The 100/60W and 60W versions sounds dryer and more direct, the simul-class is more chewy and hairy. Out of the 5 C+‘s I’ve owned, the simuls sounded the best to me and does the Metallica thing better.

And as previously discussed they were tweaked along the time of production. By mid production, at least the simul version became brighter and gainier. As referred to by Mike B as bright version simul.

So chances are if you play a C+ not knowing what version it is you might be disappointed, in reference to what you’d expect it to sound like.

For what it’s worth, the 2 Mark IIIs I owned were like a bad copy of a C+. Harsh in the mids/highs, smeared in comparison to a C+. Maybe they were just bad examples?
I’ve had the same experience. I’ve had 4 different Mark III’s. I’ve kept the Coliseum, cus…well, it’s a Coliseum 😀

Also worth mentioning regarding the C+ (and MKIII up to Green stripe) is that there were several different versions. The 100/60W and 60W versions sounds dryer and more direct, the simul-class is more chewy and hairy. Out of the 5 C+‘s I’ve owned, the simuls sounded the best to me and does the Metallica thing better.

And as previously discussed they were tweaked along the time of production. By mid production, at least

……

It sounded exactly like this…

To me, it sounded like a more compressed, smaller recto, with a weird muted attack. And it does every time I hear it. The thing is, yes it’s very tight etc. but then again, to ME, a good boosted recto absolutely smokes it, and then a killer modded marshall or the Herbert ( for me) smokes it for leads. I could buy those 2 or 3 amps and still have thousands and thousands of dollars left over, instead of a c+. It’s just not that great at all to me

……

To me, it sounded like a more compressed, smaller recto, with a weird muted attack. And it does every time I hear it. The thing is, yes it’s very tight etc. but then again, to ME, a good boosted recto absolutely smokes it, and then a killer modded marshall or the Herbert ( for me) smokes it for leads. I could buy those 2 or 3 amps and still have thousands and thousands of dollars left over, instead of a c+. It’s just not that great at all to me

It wasn’t necessarily pointed towards you. Just something to consider and not something I see talked about very often. It’s usually C+ sounds like this or that and not so much that the different versions sound different to each other. I certainly understand that it’s not for everybody. And yes I agree, the price tag is ridiculous. But it’s actually not impossible to find good deals on them. Just don’t look on Reverb. My first C+ HRG was 2100$ a couple of years ago. I haven’t spent anywhere near 10K for any of them, not even the Coliseum.

Now for Ola’s clip. That’s a 100/60W version. And I don’t really like the tone he gets out of it either. They can sound much better in my opinion.

Cameron CCV and any Wizard. There's a ton I have played through but never owned but I got my opinion of them playing through them and had no interest in buying them.

@anomaly just because I can’t resist a good conversation….. those reamps I posted? This the actual record. While it’s not the setup I used, it IS my Engl cabinet on this record, micing a 65M with a single 57 only. The actual tone was a driftwood purple nightmare with a pepers dirty tree into my Engl cab. The point is, while it may have sounded thin for a recto ( and I agree) listen to what that tone sounds like in an actual production. For reference go to the 2:20 mark.

@anomaly just because I can’t resist a good conversation….. those reamps I posted? This the actual record. While it’s not the setup I used, it IS my Engl cabinet on this record, micing a 65M with a single 57 only. The actual tone was a driftwood purple nightmare with a pepers dirty tree into my Engl cab. The point is, while it may have sounded thin for a recto ( and I agree) listen to what that tone sounds like in an actual production. For reference go to the 2:20 mark.

Doesn't sound that great in the mix either, just thin, nasally. I guess it works for the song though.

For 15+ years for me it was a morin Marshall, which I finally got all those years later. To me it’s still the most out of control scariest amp I own. I don’t know what that guy did, but they are the best Marshalls I’ve ever heard.

I would like to own a VH4, that’s sparking my interest these days. I absolutely love just about every amp sim of one, so I’m sure I’d love it.

I could sell everything but my rev F and my morin if I had to and be happy. There hasn’t been anything new in the last 10+ years that gets me curious. Especially very few of the newer amps like revv. KSR being the exception to me, my colossus is right up there with the other 2 amps I’d keep too.

The only thing that even has me a tiny bit curious these days is the hermansson stuff, maybe the gower stuff, and the MLC amps that seem to be gaining alot of traction. The gowers are the closest to me to mike morins mods for anyone curious. Very similar DNA I think from what I’ve heard. But I’m not gonna go out of my way or sell anything to get them either.
I’ll trade you my vh4 for the Morin to scratch out itches lol jk

I’ve never owned one, but A close friend had one for over year right next door to me in a full blown studio. So I had a ton of time with it. It is just so incredibly overrated to me. I feel that way about all the mark amps honestly. I owned a 4, and a 3 as well. The 3 being my favorite by far.
My 3++ green stripe cured my mark gas

Doesn't sound that great in the mix either, just thin, nasally. I guess it works for the song though.

Man I absolutely love that mix and the sound of that record! Isn’t that what it’s all about though? You said it works for the song….? I mean, that’s what music and mixing is all about

Man I absolutely love that mix and the sound of that record! Isn’t that what it’s all about though? You said it works for the song….? I mean, that’s what music and mixing is all about
Sure, I agree. Not a great tone, but in the context of the song it works well.

Ok for amps that I want to buy Wizard and VHT are on the list. There are a couple others that I want to play but I don't want to purchase

……

I've heard a few vids of Ola's IIC+ head and he's never able to get the greatest tone out of it. I think it's a bad example, or perhaps needs work, filter caps and such??

Check out that guy RezaMatix I think his name is?? on youtube. He's got some killer IIC+ clips.

They are not even close to sounding like a recto... they track way faster and have a much different frequency response. Tighter than even a boosed recto.

Muted attack? Do you hear a muted attack on Disposable Heroes?

Last edited:
I sometimes think about girls I didn’t have.

But thankfully I have not spent one minute thinking about the amps I didn’t own.

If we are including owning + playing, I have spent time with most of the heavy hitters in the past 20 years. I have learned that while flipping amps and getting excited via the hype certain amps get is fun; the grass is often not greener and there are few times an amp does everything for everyone.

That said, I have yet to spend time with any Wizards and from what I understand how they are described (open, aggressive, articulate, punchy....but still feel great under the fingers while being tight and immediate). Like my trusty and beloved late 90's VHT Pittbull Ultra-lead but better. It both intrigues me and scares me. That is an expensive rabbit hole to go down if I end up loving the tone and feel!

If we are including owning + playing, I have spent time with most of the heavy hitters in the past 20 years. I have learned that while flipping amps and getting excited via the hype certain amps get is fun; the grass is often not greener and there are few times an amp does everything for everyone.

That said, I have yet to spend time with any Wizards and from what I understand how they are described (open, aggressive, articulate, punchy....but still feel great under the fingers while being tight and immediate). Like my trusty and beloved late 90's VHT Pittbull Ultra-lead but better. It both intrigues me and scares me. That is an expensive rabbit hole to go down if I end up loving the tone and feel!

My Ultra Lead was my favorite amp until I got my first MTL. You’re right though, Wizards are an expensive proposition and some maybe better off not trying. Lol. Still have my UL but it sits next to 4 Wizards.

Back