What are you using in your Flying V's?

A few great pickups come to mind (in no particular order)

Seymour Duncan Pegasus
Dimarzio Transition
Bareknuckle Holy Diver

Note, however, that Schenker always used very hot pickups. That's how he drove his 50w Marshall's to get such great tone if I'm not mistaken. If you want that, try a Dimarzio Steve's Special. It's got a fairly hot output, great low end and sparkly highs that aren't piercing, and a really articulate midrange that won't sound woofy or muddy.

Last edited:
I’ve always wanted a Flying V with P90s for some reason but I’ve never seen one
Epi Poppa Chubby comes stock with P90’s

1121DB7B-E010-4E03-A9ED-E3A53B951D30.jpeg

Have had Wolfetone Marshallheads in my 80’s V for over 10 years and they’re perfect for AC/DC to early 80’s Heavy Metal. Respond great with volume roll off. I’ll never change them out of this guitar. I have an 80’s Dimarzio SD in a 2005 V that I also love. More of a hard rock pickup, a little colder on cleaner settings but for rockin’ out it’s the sound of the late 70’s, early 80’s personified. Not as spikey as newer ones so I specifically recommend older ones..2 wire models.

Have had Wolfetone Marshallheads in my 80’s V for over 10 years and they’re perfect for AC/DC to early 80’s Heavy Metal. Respond great with volume roll off. I’ll never change them out of this guitar. I have an 80’s Dimarzio SD in a 2005 V that I also love. More of a hard rock pickup, a little colder on cleaner settings but for rockin’ out it’s the sound of the late 70’s, early 80’s personified. Not as spikey as newer ones so I specifically recommend older ones..2 wire models.

Pariah Pickups makes one called the Destruction 70s. Sounds as goods the originals.

Interesting.

I have both -- a new SD and a Pariah -- prefer the Pariah much more over the SD. I also have a Rewind Electric version of one, and that one is stellar. And expensive. Sounds very close to the Pariah as opposed to the SD.

I have both -- a new SD and a Pariah -- prefer the Pariah much more over the SD. I also have a Rewind Electric version of one, and that one is stellar. And expensive. Sounds very close to the Pariah as opposed to the SD.
I tried a SD in the late 90’s on a custom build and hated it. Nasally, peaked midrange thing going on. Went to amp repair place several years later and the LP they used to test the amp had an older 2-wire SD in it and it was completely different. Meatier, more even through the midrange. Said I loved the sound of it and they sold me the pickup for $40 as they were planning on putting a different pickup in it anyway. Threw it in my V and it’s never come out. I have a Marshallhead in the neck of that V and at first it was a weird combo having a PAF Alnico neck vs, the ceramic bridge but I grew to love the versatility it created in tones.

Speaking of V's -- the prices for a good used one are fucking nuts. The ones in excellent condition are rare, and if they do show up are over $2500
Yep. I've been looking for one for over a year. People are asking $1500 for a fucking faded for crying out loud. I think I paid $1099 for mine new in 2010, the OG Classic White with an actual ebony fingerboard. Then they went granadillo, then discontinued them altogether for a few years.

Yep. I've been looking for one for over a year. People are asking $1500 for a fucking faded for crying out loud. I think I paid $1099 for mine new in 2010, the OG Classic White with an actual ebony fingerboard. Then they went granadillo, then discontinued them altogether for a few years.
Prices on regular V’s and explorers is crazy. People wanting 2K for a generic black explorer. Bought my white, 2005 V, used at GC around 2010 or so for $699. Came with a non Gibson case but still. Granted it was a decent price even then which is why I bought it on the spot but I think new they were barely over 1K?

This is a great thread. I've been looking for a replacement set of pickups in my Gibson V. Currently have Suhr Aldrich set in bridge/neck.

pic not best quality.

Attachments

• PXL_20210930_204326818.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    PXL_20210930_204326818.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Mine has a Super Distortion Bridge and a Breed neck.

The SD could be improved upon, but the Breed neck is pure bliss and a match made in heaven. The right amount of beef, push, clarity and character.
Volume pots are push-pull for coil-splits.

Attachments

• Flying V 01.JPG
    Flying V 01.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 23
Back