what happens if you plug an attenuator backwards?

victorlee335

I bought a used Rivera Rockcrusher a few months back. Before long I bought it, I tried taking the line out from the Rockcrusher for some direct recording. The line out volume acted weirdly though - past 3 O'clock volume starts to get quieter rather louder. I emailed Paul at Rivera and asked him what it is, and he told me that the unit must have been hooked up backwards. I don't remember doing so since everything is clearly labeled..
but just out of curiosity, if you hook up an attenuator backwards, what are the potential damage you can do to the unit? Which components are likely to get damaged in the attenuator in what way?
The unit still attenuates my amp, but having heard that, I started to doubt that what the unit is doing right now might not be what it is fully capable of...
Should I send it to Paul and have it checked or am I just paranoid?

victorlee335":2nbkwbyn said:
I bought a used Rivera Rockcrusher a few months back. Before long I bought it, I tried taking the line out from the Rockcrusher for some direct recording. The line out volume acted weirdly though - past 3 O'clock volume starts to get quieter rather louder. I emailed Paul at Rivera and asked him what it is, and he told me that the unit must have been hooked up backwards. I don't remember doing so since everything is clearly labeled..
but just out of curiosity, if you hook up an attenuator backwards, what are the potential damage you can do to the unit? Which components are likely to get damaged in the attenuator in what way?
The unit still attenuates my amp, but having heard that, I started to doubt that what the unit is doing right now might not be what it is fully capable of...
Should I send it to Paul and have it checked or am I just paranoid?

I have never used the Rivera Rockcrusher but I used a Marshall SE100 which is a similar type of unit it is a load and attenuator and line out and speaker emulated line out combined in one unit and I plugged the output of a Marshall JMP 2203 into the output of the Marshall SE100 by mistake and it fried the speaker emulated line out and the line out . The attenuator was not damaged but the line outs were totally fucked and I had to get it repaired to be able to get the line out and speaker emulated line out to work again.

Interesting, mine changes in tone when I change the line out volume, and I'm sure I never hooked it up "backwards" :/

Back