What is this noise from these speakers ?

thiswaythatway

Long story short, I got an amp used for a good price and the speaker in it I thought was fine which was a Mesa 90 water but I wanted to try a Redback. Got one used off Reverb, after I installed it I knew it was screwed up but it was a loose dust cap. So I glued it back on in place and thought I did a good job. After installing it I was hearing a weird crackling or buzz when I play low notes with some volume. It seems that it doesn't come through as much on high notes. So I put the original speaker back in....and I'm hearing the same noise...WTF. I've tried everything including taking the speakers out of the amp and laying them on the floor, using this amp into another cabinet, using another amp into these speakers. The issue stays with the speakers no matter where they are. I have another 4x12 and another 2x12 combo but at this point don't want to mess around with swapping any speakers in and out.

Do I have 2 possibly bad speakers? The dust caps look ok, the wires in the speakers don't appear to be touching anything. I've tried gently touching the speakers here and there but can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

You can hear it in these short videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Aq2j8lRR38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLbEWODRwSE

It's not tubes, same amp into another cabinet and no noise.

I've tried a different speaker cable.

In the room the noise is VERY obvious. It sounds like a loose dust cap but I don't see any separations in these.

Check to see if anything is vibrating. The cabinet could have taken a hit and the noise is wood vibrating.

Have you looked at the jacks in the amp as well as the cable? You can use lighter fluid (naptha) to clean them. Do the female spade lugs fit tightly? If not try soldering the leads to the speaker. Check the solder connectiion at the 1/4" male end. It's a matter of elimination of the smaller things now. Just my .02

danyeo":ti14hguh said:
It's not tubes, same amp into another cabinet and no noise.

I've tried a different speaker cable.

In the room the noise is VERY obvious. It sounds like a loose dust cap but I don't see any separations in these.
Per your description; you're describing blown voice coils. Gently push the cones downward, listen/feel for scraping. You may or may not feel contact, but this is a viable way to help identify a problem.

Back