What kind of gear whore are you?

Tone Junkie

Cheap but you buy anything on sale. The goodwill of gear shoppers. Like a box of pickups etc.

You are a brand whore. If it has a certain label on it, or a status gear shopper you gotta own it.

Big ticket name gear. If it's expensive it has to be the best. Period.

You buy gear based on certain famous players. If they play it, you gotta copy them. Hero worship.

Are you a new gear crackhead. Gotta have the newest greatest ASAP.

You are a minimalist. One amp, one cabinet one guitar and a few pedals.

You are a full blown Double wide gear whore. You are a hoarder. ie: you need a storage facility for just half your gear.

You are a revolving door. You haven't owned an amp or guitar for longer than 2-6 months before selling it. Basically indecisive.

The researcher - you spend more time researching gear than you actually spend playing and practicing.

None of the above. Post up.

I’m not really loyal to brands, but I certainly have preferences from past experiences. 👍

I’m cheap though and won’t spend big money on anything. My most expensive guitar cost me $2,800 new. Most expensive amp was like $3,200 (2C+ several years ago). I did shell out $3k for a custom boogie stereo graphic GEQ… which is THEE most expensive piece of gear I ever purchased.

I’m probably closest to “the researcher” but I definitely play more than I research. I get heavy into researching shit when I’m either interested in something new/different or want to better understand something that I already have.

Can a person say, all of the above?

Lately, I've been on a PRS kick so I've bought a few of those but they had to be really good deals in order for me to grab them. So, that covers the brand whore/cheap bastid bases. LOL But also lately, I've been getting rid of a bunch of stuff I don't play so I'm trying to become more "minimalistic" in my approach. I'm down to four amp heads, and a practice amp (combo) with possibly a couple of the heads on the chopping block here before long. Got a Splawn Nitro in the Classifieds right now, in fact. I have way more guitars that I need, but beside the PRS's most of them are Warmoth builds and I'll probably never sell them because I ain't takin' a bath on em'! They're paid off and they don't eat much, so there's no point in given them away.

I’m not really loyal to brands, but I certainly have preferences from past experiences. 👍

I’m cheap though and won’t spend big money on anything. My most expensive guitar cost me $2,800 new. Most expensive amp was like $3,200 (2C+ several years ago). I did shell out $3k for a custom boogie stereo graphic GEQ… which is THEE most expensive piece of gear I ever purchased.
Speakin’ of CCV’s, dude, where’s the dude’s
with the CCV’s?
Screw this MK7 Karen’fest.
Dude’s need to pull those damn CCV’s
out & start rippin’ shit up!
Run them CCV’s like
‘hogs..-NOT bedroom slippers’.

The banks are dismantling!…-sell me your CCV!

SGs and multiscales for every tuning. Outside of that; one or two of each model of Gibson, a few BC Rich and Jacksons, and probably the worst amp collection on RT :ROFLMAO:...😿 Kind of fit in the hoarder area because the husband and kids have their own collections, too.

I’ll buy a guitar for certain things ( ESP Viper cause Crowbar and doom/sludge) just because the looks are there and the scale length is what I want, plus ESP is a known quantity for me.

Main guitar is a Caparison and it’s a certain one that would be spec’d the exact way I’d do a guitar, but didn’t have to as it already exists.

Main amp was recommended to me by a bro who’s had everything, knows what I like to play and knew it’d be an endgame amp for me. He was right.

So combination of hero worship/researcher.

Initially hero worshipper as I got my ESP and Diezel due to Hetfield. I'm more of a minimalist now as I have a rig that suits my needs. I only swap a few pedals here and there, but nothing really fancy.

Guitars,

Ranging from $236 to $7000 (most purchased new), currently at 27 guitars, down from 35. 2 bass guitars. (fixed. can't keep track lol)

correction: Organs, I own 6, not 5 (3 Hammonds, 2 Vox, 1 Viscount); ranging from $1,700 to $12,000.

Last edited:
Had the same rack for 16 years; ADA, Digitech and Mosvalve. Then in 2008 I bought a Lee Jackson 2204 on Ebay for 700 bucks. Off to the races....modded Marshall after modded Marshall. Bought one from a Rig Talk member who hasn't been on in years....then I joined. Some SLOs, C+s, Rectos but always had a stock/modded Marshall around. I've tried other brands in stores; VH4, Bogners, EVH etc but still come back to some type of modded Marshall, or stock with pedals. Guitars, Charvels....some Jacksons too, all USA versions. Most I've paid for a guitar was 2400 for a Charvel Custom, and most for an amp was 5K for a Rev C Recto that's still here..for now. Previous was 3K for a HRG C++ about 5 years ago.
Slowed down a bit and am happy with my amps stock + a boost or two...For me it's about trying out as many great amps as I can; can't keep them all...only things left to try are a real Jose A Marshall and maybe a Morin if either ever pops up.

Back