What kind of gear whore are you?

Mine is chasing a tone/sounds in my head and having the right tonal options available.

If I think I need to get something rare-ish or expensive.. i'll often overpay and not care.

People would laugh if you knew what I paid for my original Uber.

The closer i'm getting to having the tones I want, the less flipping I'm doing.

Frugal - because I have kids. I eventually get the things I want, but priorities always come first.

The main thing that’s hard for me, though, is that I play different styles. Everything from Carcass and Sabbath, to Cream and Pink Floyd. So I’ve had to put a couple different pedalboards together, different amps, cabinets, etc.

The quest for tone never ends.

I've tried a lot of cool stuff over the past 10 years and now kind of settling down with a smaller amount of gear. Selling off some now and we shall see what happens.

I've grown to realize that perhaps what I thought I liked and disliked may have been in error.
Playing live and rehearsing frequently has also made me understand what I am most comfortable using.

Dude kick the habit. Get some help. For yourself. Have had lots of friends with similar issues. Life can be tough enough without bad habits
Unless your just messing around bro.

Indeed.

Just throwing this out there for anyone who might want to take me up on it; I’ve been studying/training to be a peer resource/support counselor and when the time/energy allows for it I volunteer at meetings to talk to people who are having a hard time being open about it or are uncomfortable with anything surrounding sobriety. I hold no medical degrees or licenses, I just grew up with addiction all around me and after coming out the other side of it myself and watching all the people I grew up with or family members dealing with it, thought I might be able to help.

My PM box is always open for those who wish to shoot the shit. No judgement from me, I’ve either done worse or seen worse and whatever is said in a PM stays in the PM. I’m certainly not going to fix anyone’s problems, but sometimes just getting shit off your chest to a nonjudgmental ear goes a long way.

I like a couple flavors of amps and guitars. I have a few brands of people that I consider friends so I like dealing with them where possible. But I'm also a minimalist these days. Each piece of gear has to do something different to justify keeping it. At this point I try not to have any redundancies.

Definitely none of the above.
I had a tone in my head 30 years ago which was an approximate amalgamation of a couple of famous tones. Fast forward 15 years later, I kind of stumbled unto someone who had an amp that delivered that exact type of tone combination I was hearing mentally for years. 15 years since then, this is still the type of tone I prefer. I'm generally not interested in new amps or even vintage amps that much since they won't get me any closer to my idealized singular tone.

I don't care what it says on the headstock, what brand of pickup, pedal, multi effects, cable .... it's all about if the product flits the bill .
My days of G.A.S. are long past me .

Use to like variety.

30853_1493672665001_5020167_n.jpg
I stopped in the last 5 years, except I am getting a Harley Benton Double Neck guitar that I am going to modify with a FRX Top Mount system, a new 12 saddle bridge with Grover Mini Locking tuners .... my wife is going to freak out .
image000000(5).jpg
image000002(3).jpg
20230121_120525.jpg
20220724_005440.jpg
20220719_150412.jpg
image000000(6).jpg
20220423_142016.jpg
20220704_162027.jpg
20220714_132225.jpg

Attachments

• 20220925_003902.jpg
    20220925_003902.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
Minuses, my Fender 12 string acoustic, an Applause and Ovation acoustic guitars .

image000005(2).jpg
20230205_164743.jpg

My at home rig ..

20230205_164658.jpg

20220903_220011.jpg
20220614_170519.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a Seven, closely followed by an Eight.

I'm just a Bill, On Capitol Hill.

For reals, I'm an equal opportunity lover of all guitar gear, no matter cost or perceived quality. Guess that makes me your garden variety, will hit it all, whore.
I dig my Rogue LX200b, Fender DG200SCE, Vox Pathfinder and Boss SD1 as much as the more expensive stuff.

I deffo try to be the Utilitarian dude...

I always appreciate the work of a decent sound guy, so I try to work for what is best for the venue. I take an AxeFX with L and R out for the desk, and a Poweramp to give me a little stage volume.

At home, it's more about the big 80s racks and cool fun gear. But my limit is my 16U rack and space for 2 amps. Creating limitations helps you make the most out of the gear there.

I’ve been a gear whore for many years.

I’ve spent many years frequenting pawnshops and thrift stores for gear.

I’ve scored some amazing deals on guitars,basses amps, pedals, etc.

About 75% of my gear is made up of these scores.

I’ve kept all the primo stuff over the years and sold off all the lesser gear.

I’m pretty much set with what I have, but I NEVER pass on a deal/steal.

Researcher/Minimalist — I only buy what’s needed for my current projects, for the most part. I don’t keep too many things around “just in case”. But I do keeps tabs on everything that comes out, watching demos, reading reviews, etc.

I have like 40 pedals and there is only one that I find remotely useful.
I also like to fix up cheap shit to play the way I like it but probably isn’t worth much to anyone else so they keep piling up

In the past, I have gotten a lot of gear over the years because I wanted to try it out. Nothing wrong with that.
There are some pieces that I wish I kept and some I regret selling and some that I just should have walked away from, but it happened and that is the way it is.

Wouldn't it be great if you could go back and keep the things you should have kept?
Oh well....hindsight is 20/20.

At this point, I have really shrunk down my setup from 20+ guitars and 6 amps to just 4 really amazing guitars, a couple of really great sounding amps, a couple of 1x12 cabs, 2 x small Classic Jr. pedalboards and a very easy to use but powerful setup on both.

Since I still play live very regularly, I like a more compact setup that is lighter in weight bu can still make lots of noise and at the same time, keep me happy tone-wise.
There are many great ways to do this these days but I have really found the 2 compact setups now that will take me through my remaining years of playing live.

Back