What strings do you prefer for low tunings?

I must be a wuss...cuz I use 11-49 for drop C. I like a more even feeling across the neck. My other guitarist uses 10-52, but I don't like the sound of a super thick low string then thin top string. Just me.

crwnedblasphemy":3tp9mtum said:
I must be a wuss...cuz I use 11-49 for drop C. I like a more even feeling across the neck. My other guitarist uses 10-52, but I don't like the sound of a super thick low string then thin top string. Just me.

49!? holy smokes that's loose. I use a 52 in D. I find my 62-13 sets are fine for feel across the board though I have contemplated going to a more even set but my CTS doesn't allow for a lot of tension. I just like the 62 for B so it takes out the flub and detune.

I don't get the heavy string thing.

I use 9-42's for even drop C on 25.5" guitars. I don't get "flub" and infact, when I've tried heavier strings I've had problems with way too much bass, too dark, muddy, and difficult to hit pinch harmonics.

timeroo":1dpz3x23 said:
crwnedblasphemy":1dpz3x23 said:

49!? holy smokes that's loose. I use a 52 in D. I find my 62-13 sets are fine for feel across the board though I have contemplated going to a more even set but my CTS doesn't allow for a lot of tension. I just like the 62 for B so it takes out the flub and detune.

It's actually not loose...comparable to the 10-52, the 11-49 have a heavier higher 3 strings that bear tension more to compensate for the lower gauge low strings...so kinda evens out. this of course with a wolfgang.

Not sure how all this works on different bridges...probably different on standard bridges.

I like progressive tension, but not sure on your exact question, meaning are you asking brand or sizes? Brand-wise, ever since I've tried Circle-K, no other strings sound or feel as good. They make sets with progressive tension and they sound fantastic, although I still get singles as I like a certain amount of difference between each string. I used to use D'Addario sets that I created from singles for proper tension, but when I tried Circle-K, instant love.

Back