Which 12AX7 tubes do what on a MCII???

glip22

lowmantotempole":3k594y91 said:
I was thinking about doing a little tube swapping this weekend but I have no idea which 12AX7 tubes do what in my MCII...

So say I am looking straight on at the back of the amp... What do they do (V1 etc) going left to right???

THANKS!!!!
This might sound nuts but don't bother. My MCII sounds best with the JJ ecc803s. I did order a few of the newer JJMG to try. NOS glass did not do much for the amp which didn't surprise me. Normally I love the Tesla Rosnov E83cc. I tried some RFT, EI, Simens triple mica, mullard. Went right back to the JJ's and there it was. Power tubes make a bigger difference in this amp. Winged C is where it's at for me in this head. Tried Groove Tubes EL34s, EH EL34, and Ruby's.

lowmantotempole":29cnbfmp said:
glip22":29cnbfmp said:
lowmantotempole":29cnbfmp said:
I was thinking about doing a little tube swapping this weekend but I have no idea which 12AX7 tubes do what in my MCII...

So say I am looking straight on at the back of the amp... What do they do (V1 etc) going left to right???

THANKS!!!!
This might sound nuts but don't bother. My MCII sounds best with the JJ ecc803s. I did order a few of the newer JJMG to try. NOS glass did not do much for the amp which didn't surprise me. Normally I love the Tesla Rosnov E83cc. I tried some RFT, EI, Simens triple mica, mullard. Went right back to the JJ's and there it was. Power tubes make a bigger difference in this amp. Winged C is where it's at for me in this head. Tried Groove Tubes EL34s, EH EL34, and Ruby's.

Thanks but that really didn't answer my question...

I actually loaded it up with EH 6ca7 power tubes this week and now it brings some serious THUMP!!! I love it...

So...
Oh shit. This is a question you will not get an answer for :LOL: :LOL: Rick is a trip. Don't bother asking him. He'll just tell you your amp is fine and to leave it alone. Guys that know him will laugh at this. He's a man of few words although I did have some cool speak with him two weeks a go. Killer amp though, right?

lowmantotempole":kpq0qohu said:
glip22":kpq0qohu said:
glip22":kpq0qohu said:

THANKS!!!!

Thanks but that really didn't answer my question...

I actually loaded it up with EH 6ca7 power tubes this week and now it brings some serious THUMP!!! I love it...

So...
Oh shit. This is a question you will not get an answer for :LOL: :LOL: Rick is a trip. Don't bother asking him. He'll just tell you your amp is fine and to leave it alone. Guys that know him will laugh at this. He's a man of few words although I did have some cool speak with him two weeks a go. Killer amp though, right?

Oh absolutely! I love the amp. I knew I would before I got it. I've wanted one for years and it does everything I need it to. I still want to try a Wizard Metal though...

Looks like I'm on my own then. I'm thinking, V1 might be the one on the far left. I'll start there.

It's not that I'm trying to make it sound "better", I just like to experimenting with tubes for different tones. It's the easiest "mod" you can do to an amp.
You and me both. Lets see. Obviously the last pretube is the PI. Next one is the loop. I would imagine only half is the loop. V1 input tube and Rhythm. V2 Rhythm, V3 lead. V4 lead. I'm not sure though. It's just a guess. Possibly half of one or more of the tubes is not used.

lowmantotempole":1bq977nj said:
I have no idea which tube does what.

I'm looking at the back of the amp left to right... I'm guessing the far left 12ax7 is V1...
That's right. The last two are Loop and PI which is usually the way an amp is laid out.

glip22":3abgvyl2 said:

That indeed had me chuckling

Rick has used the Sovtec LPS and the JJ803s in my amps and they sound really good... both are the long plate tubes so not the regular JJ's, make sure you buy the long plate JJ's. I tried a electroharmonix 12ax7 and it sounded good too. the long plates can be noisy so its a crap shoot when you buy them without trying at volume first.

rick does not like to elaborate...lol He has been really cool with me as I have sent him three of my wizards for the factory updates. One of them some jackass had sent to FJA to "fix" the pop but the whole grounding was fucked up over his shitty work- the amp could no longer switch channels with anything other than the footswitch. Anyway, Rick fixed it and never said a word. Great service and nice guy!

Back