Which album had the best guitar tone in the shred 80s days?

Best shred 80s guitar tone

• Dokken under lock and key

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • White lion Pride

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Winger Pull

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Whitesnake self titled

Votes: 23 43.4%

• Total voters
Saw them for the Invasion of your privacy tour. Maybe it was the venue or a bad night, it was really bad.
No it wasn't the venue. Ratt absolutely sucked live back in the day. It wasn't until the Detonator tour (live video above) where they finally invested in a quality sound guy.

Reactions: Geo
No it wasn't the venue. Ratt absolutely sucked live back in the day. It wasn't until the Detonator tour (live video above) where they finally invested in a quality sound guy.
I got lucky when I saw them on the Invasion tour that was the best show I saw them do out of the five times I saw them over the years. You’re right though , a few shows I saw from them they were really bad.

If we’re talking just tone and not songwriting I’d have to go with early Yngwie. A beautiful singing, articulate tone.
For something more raw, 80’s Gary Moore every day, all day.

The Invasion show I saw back in the day was great.

I was also pretty fucked up great too. :yes:

But yeah. Good tone or bad tone - I was buying this record :LOL:
TtZ9QUp.jpg

Wore out Corridors of Power and especially this cut:

Also in heavy rotation then:

Last, the first crunchy guitar tones in this song in the intro have always been a benchmark for me

I never saw them live, but even in this poor quality live video for 91 this seems like good tone to me. Maybe it depended on the night. I know Warren is on the SLO here, not sure about Robin.

For an old school bootleg video that sounds really good . Compared to a few of the shows I saw them do this would’ve been a good one

I went down a shallow rabbit hole last night listening to some of these albums with headphones. It's amusing to me to hear much less gain they are actually using compared to what I thought it was back when I first heard these tunes.

Loudness - Thunder In the East
Love how crunchy and aggressive it is.

Ratt - Invasion of your Privacy
Same thing but different flavour.

Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King
Thick, heavy, aggressive, but still warm
Yeah I shoulda added Thunder in the East to my list as well, Akira's tone on that was just badass! Not to mention he's such a great player.

Just realized the TS never came back to participate. :dunno:

Not sure if were bound to just his poll or what :dunno:

Oh well. We have lots of 80's tone threads over time :dunno:

Back