Which album had the best guitar tone in the shred 80s days?

Best shred 80s guitar tone

• Dokken under lock and key

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • White lion Pride

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Winger Pull

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Whitesnake self titled

Votes: 23 43.4%

• Total voters
the "radio" friendly version of WS, Here I Go Again... Dan Huff on guitar. of course that was released in "94-ish. Dan was/is the man...lol

Fair Warning and 1984 for me...VH fanboi... any list not including ed...pssh, the audacity

Now, if we're talking "favorite" tone from the '80s "shred era", for me
it'd have to be EVH's tone on "Fair Warning", followed by
Lynch's tone on "Back For The Attack", and Doug Aldrich's
tone on "Dangerous AttractIon"(Lion).

Reactions: Geo
"Corridors of Power" is just pure Marshall goodness.

When I listen to that album it sounds like they cranked the Marshall, threw a mic in front of it and hit record with no monkey business in between straight to album.
Yep! Marshall set to stun in a big, nice room with some decent mics all being wrangled by one the best to ever live. I especially love Moore’s Strat tone. No one’s is bigger or meaner!

Just throwing out some favs INPO:

Yngwie: Marching Out
Lynch: BftA (in particular, the track "Stop Fighting Love" it's fucking perfect to me, rhythm AND the solo)
Michael Lee Firkins: Debut album
Extreme: Extreme

Man for shred guitar the 80s was like the arms race. I will be honest I only had a brief interest in hair metal but I enjoy learning stuff from that genre. Like I hate extreme but Nuno was fun go see what he would do. Vito Bratta really was doing his own thing.

But as far as tones from 80s era hair metal I have a weak spot for Ratt and Motley Crue(no I don't consider Mick Mars a shredder)

Savatage - Hall of the mountain King
Scorpions - Love at first sting
And anything Ed and Randy

This is apex 80’s tone to me. Doesn’t get any better. I’m going to go ahead and say that Robin Crosby was to Ratt what Steve Clarke was to Def Leppard.

Epic guitar sounds on that album, unfortunately, live they sounded like shit.

Epic guitar sounds on that album, unfortunately, live they sounded like shit.

I never saw them live, but even in this poor quality live video for 91 this seems like good tone to me. Maybe it depended on the night. I know Warren is on the SLO here, not sure about Robin.

I never saw them live, but even in this poor quality live video for 91 this seems like good tone to me. Maybe it depended on the night. I know Warren is on the SLO here, not sure about Robin.

Saw them for the Invasion of your privacy tour. Maybe it was the venue or a bad night, it was really bad.

Man for shred guitar the 80s was like the arms race. I will be honest I only had a brief interest in hair metal but I enjoy learning stuff from that genre. Like I hate extreme but Nuno was fun go see what he would do. Vito Bratta really was doing his own thing.

But as far as tones from 80s era hair metal I have a weak spot for Ratt and Motley Crue(no I don't consider Mick Mars a shredder)
It was a blast. Really from the moment Randy hit until the scene started copying itself and died off. There were new albums and new "guns" hitting all the time. Vivian, Sykes, Jake, George, Yngwie, Vai, Warren, Akira, Le Tekro etc... Established guys like Ed and Gary Moore, the guitar teams ala Maiden and Priest. The Varney gang with guys like Macalpine, Gilbert and Bouillet. And then guys that came in like Nuno and Vito. So many guys not even mentioned...it was crazy and fun.

Back