Who do you recommend to do some fret work on my GMW/Charvel

screamindemon

My GMW Tiger needs some fret work.
Seems like I may have some frets lifting. I notice it mostly on the High E past the 12th fret.
Notes not ringing clearly, fretting out. It's not terrible but I'm just not happy with it !

Anyway I would like to have it looked at and possibly a refret.

I'm in Florida but don't mind shipping if need be. Just looking for first class work !

Any suggestions ?

Thanks, Brian

IMG_20160514_124238026_zpsyfbx26nb.jpg

JackTripper":2f6ed742 said:
screamindemon":2f6ed742 said:
JackTripper":2f6ed742 said:
Contact Lee through his facebook page, he responds back quickly.

https://www.facebook.com/GmwGuitarWorks/

Have you dealt with LEE ?

Yeah, I had him refinish two of my GMWs not long ago. Turn around time was about 3-4 weeks on each.

How was his attitude ! When I had this built I had a couple small issues and he was kind of arrogant and rude ! But this has been a good many years and maybe he is in a better mood now ! :LOL: :LOL:

Lee is awesome to deal with. Sure, he can be a little less than diplomatic sometimes, but the quality of his work is impeccable and he will discuss any options/issues that arise and will do exactly what you agree on. Can't recommend him enough.

I'm not sure if they still do repair work but a member on here that I know sent at least one guitar to luxxtone for a refret. It played amazing after that. It was a Les Paul but they build guitars with different radius so they should b able to handle the 12-16. Again, I have no idea if they still offer the service but his guitar played amazing. Could be worth a shot

Is it definitely a refret? Are the edges of some of the upper frets lifting up? I just wonder if you wouldn't want to take it to a local tech and just see if they can glue and press them back in.

I've dealt with Lee on a custom order back before the C&D from Fender on the strat headstocks. He's easy to deal, delivered early, was exactly what I ordered. (still have it) w and does excellent work. His set ups are killer if you like super low action. I had to bring it up a hair. I also inquired about a GMW I bought used...Lee is the man and a good guy to boot

Shawn Lutz":agp9xw8b said:
I've dealt with Lee on a custom order back before the C&D from Fender on the strat headstocks. He's easy to deal, delivered early, was exactly what I ordered. (still have it) w and does excellent work. His set ups are killer if you like super low action. I had to bring it up a hair. I also inquired about a GMW I bought used...Lee is the man and a good guy to boot

Yeah that is when I ordered this.

The set up is exactly the problem I had when I bought this , the guitar had a 12' radius and the Floyd is a 16' radius. The string curve did not match the fret board radius.
I had not encountered this before because all my other guitar had a compound 12' to 16'' radius.
Also one of the saddles on the Floyd he sent me had a defect and would not move freely so you could not fine tune that string.

When I called to talk to Lee about this he didn't want to hear it and just treated me like I didn't know what the hell I was talking about and he had never had that problem.
Became very uncomfortable real fast.

If memory serves me correct I pulled the pin on the saddle filed one side down and reassembled to fix the saddle then I had to shim the Floyd myself for the correct radius.
I have seen this before with the Floyd saddles.

Anyway, the guitar is beautiful and it was a great build but the customer service was lacking !

Brian

The GMW's I own have an OFR with a 10" radius, which works fine with a 12" radius neck, at least for me. You can buy shims for the outer saddles to make the OFR a 12" radius, which gives you a perfect match up.

I shipped a Les Paul to Scott Bond at Fatcat Custom Guitars near Chicago. Great work at a decent price.

Back