Who Needs Another Clip of a Wizard? Probably No One, Ha!

Oh ok I see. I guess I consider ultra modern to be more along the lines of "idealized modern high gain" so more like "all the distortion anyone could ever want while retaining clarity and articulation, and has an extremely wide bandwidth if you want it." So I guess I think of it in more theoretical terms, like what people want it to be, rather than some amps that have fallen short of the mark chasing that dragon.

So how close would you consider the HR to be to the theoretical "idealized super gained-out amp that stays clear and sounds huge" dream sound that high gain guys are chasing?
For that criteria the Hell Razor KT150 I have may actually be the overall best I’ve had so far. It has stupid amounts of gain available (if desired) and so far I haven’t heard another amp yet with as much clear note definition or openness for all that gain. My Hermansson Recto’s (which I think are also great for this criteria) are still tighter, faster and sharper in attack, but the Hell Razor isn’t super far behind in those departments and on faster machine gun type riffs you hear the individual notes come out more distinctly than with my other amps

For me, a theoretical dream is about getting the most 3D, nuanced, complex high gain tone I can get to maybe even rival the one ‘70’s Dumble ODS I tried (may as well call that 5D lol). The closest I’ve tried for that criteria might be a good iic+ or Rev C, but still pretty behind the best non-high gain amps I’ve tried in that department

With those amps that fell short for me, I’d add also that lack of warmth and some other qualities they have (regardless if we call it good or bad) I think seems to just be a general trend of where a lot of modern music and art has gone the direction of (at least in classical) and so it makes sense to me that the gear (tools of the arts) also follows suit with it

Last edited:
I was testing the speakers here to see how the Wizard would handle them and I can see their place in certain mixes but this is where I am at home as far as speakers go:

That's got some nice crunch to it. Emphasized and thick mids but it's not honky.

I bet mixing the V30 with the Gold would be killer.

Last edited:
For that criteria the Hell Razor KT150 I have may actually be the overall best I’ve had so far. It has stupid amounts of gain available (if desired) and so far I haven’t heard another amp yet with as much clear note definition or openness for all that gain. My Hermansson Recto’s (which I think are also great for this criteria) are still tighter, faster and sharper in attack, but the Hell Razor isn’t super far behind in those departments and on faster machine gun type riffs you hear the individual notes come out more distinctly than with my other amps

For me, a theoretical dream is about getting the most 3D, nuanced, complex high gain tone I can get to maybe even rival the one ‘70’s Dumble ODS I tried (may as well call that 5D lol). The closest I’ve tried for that criteria might be a good iic+ or Rev C, but still pretty behind the best non-high gain amps I’ve tried in that department

With those amps that fell short for me, I’d add also that lack of warmth and some other qualities they have (regardless if we call it good or bad) I think seems to just be a general trend of where a lot of modern music and art has gone the direction of (at least in classical) and so it makes sense to me that the gear (tools of the arts) also follows suit with it
Which Hermansson Recto's do you currently have or had in the past?

Currently a Rev F Triple and Rev G Dual. In the past had a single rec. tried also 3 5GS Marshall’s (one of which I owned) and had also a 5GS Carlsbro
The two Rev's are different enough with the mods to keep both? Just curious to see how much his mods differ across the revisions / models.

Would love to try one.

Rectos hold a special place in my heart haha
They do for as well. For a while I didn’t get them (since I didn’t know about the orange ch), but my Hermansson Recto and stock Rev C are both among my top 4 favorite amps I’ve had for high gain. There’s nothing else like they throaty growl of the orange channel

They do for as well. For a while I didn’t get them (since I didn’t know about the orange ch), but my Hermansson Recto and stock Rev C are both among my top 4 favorite amps I’ve had for high gain. There’s nothing else like they throaty growl of the orange channel
None of the Rectos I have had have been modded that I know of but the 1999 Tiple is damn tight and punchy.

Back