Who uses a 7 or 10 band EQ in the loop with their splawns?

I've been considering adding the Mesa EQ pedal in my loop lately. Just to get a different sound.

So it seems a bit crazy to me the Mesa is only 5 bands and 275.00. . Has someone compared that to cheaper EQ's (Boss GE7, MXR 6 or 10 band eq's,etc? ) I owned a Mesa MKIII with the GEQ and a Studio 22 with it many moons ago and I know how powerful their eq's are, but just curious

Eric

Just curious to here from anyone that does this or have tried. I tried it last night with an MXR 10 band and I like the results. Depending on the venue and speakers (I have several 2x12 and 4x12 cabs) the low and high mids are sometime “honky” and too prominent in the mix to my ears. I dipped some 4K and 250 last night at a gig and the mids set really well in my opinion. This might be an always on thing from here on out.
I use an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop, have it boost the treble a bit. Doesn't need a lot of EQ but it helps.

I compared the MXR10 band to the cheap Danoelectro Fish n Chips 6 band and could not tell a difference. Not built as well obviously and had less sliders but no way I would pay $275 if that is what I just read.

I compared the MXR10 band to the cheap Danoelectro Fish n Chips 6 band and could not tell a difference. Not built as well obviously and had less sliders but no way I would pay $275 if that is what I just read.

That's the price on the Mesa Boogie Eq! Actually 279.00 .. . I'm pretty shocked

That's the price on the Mesa Boogie Eq! Actually 279.00 .. . I'm pretty shocked
Seems they are using their famous Mark GEQ maybe a little too loosely in the marketing maybe? I mean it does use the same frequencies as the Mark I suppose but that seems that would only really matter if you were trying to add that back into a non-GEQ Mark right? Otherwise, it is just a 5 band equalizer pedal. Funny, their 'Throttle Body' 5 band EQ pedal actually has more features but is less money. But still $200. No thanks.

Seems they are using their famous Mark GEQ maybe a little too loosely in the marketing maybe? I mean it does use the same frequencies as the Mark I suppose but that seems that would only really matter if you were trying to add that back into a non-GEQ Mark right? Otherwise, it is just a 5 band equalizer pedal. Funny, their 'Throttle Body' 5 band EQ pedal actually has more features but is less money. But still $200. No thanks.

I fully agree. That eq was created specifically for those Mark series amps. . Why use that formula for other amps? Oh well, there are $10,000 rack eq's, so I guess 275.00 isn't that expensive. . ha. . Too expensive for my ears though for a guitar amp eq

Eric

So I've not put an eq in the loop of my amps ever, really, but I see lots of guys saying that they have one on their board for any amp they play through. Seems like it could be useful to add one.

I will try using the 10 band in my Helix LT, which I use 4CM vs my 'analog' board. Will report back on that.

Has anyone tried a Para EQ instead of a Graphic? If so, what were the results?

Thx.

Last edited:
So I just did an experiament with the 10 band eq in my Helix, 4CM. It made a nice difference.

Curious who's using a 10 band and what settings are they at?

I had been using a Boss PQ50 in my loop at home to lower bass and some volume but recently picked up a RGE10 half rack EQ and have been really liking what it does for the tone, even more than the PQ50. I wouldn’t bother bringing this stuff to a live gig but for home practicing or recording I think they are great.

DB76FDAB-B470-46DA-9A43-4B966C302C84.jpeg

New EQ in town. This thing drags the MXR 10 band across the floor. Expensive but worth it IMO. Highly recommend

I've heard a lot about these. What is this doing? Are you boosting mids? What does low gain, mid gain, high gain do? What are the black knobs at the bottom doing? Thanks,

I've heard a lot about these. What is this doing? Are you boosting mids? What does low gain, mid gain, high gain do? What are the black knobs at the bottom doing? Thanks,
The black knob is a volume boost. And to sum up the rest, taking from google, the parametric EQ is a mainstay of recording and live sound because it offers continuous control over every parameter. A parametric equalizer offers continuous control over the audio signal's frequency content, which is divided into several bands of frequencies (most commonly three to seven bands).

I have the old original version and it is pretty cool . I know a lot of guys in here use it too .

Back