who's done the alcohol fueled coke binge and recorded an album??

Wrote,recorded and played a lot of gigs on meth in the 80s. Did everything WAY too fast,but it sure made for great thrash. Thank the maker for early drum machines.

We once seriously considered setting up drums with no drummer onstage and using 2 drum machines to play gigs because nobody could/would play the drums with us. We needed two drum machines because back then they didn't have enough memory to hold more than 4 songs at the tempo we played and the number of time changes and fills we used.

There is SO much more to this story but names and places would have to be changed to protect the innocent and hide possible crimes and likely prosecutions.

i have a pal who i think lurks here that can chime in on this one since it involves him...
2 friends of mine briefly ran a small recording studio together. one of their clients was this country singer/song writter dude in his 30's. Dude thought he was johnny cash, rollin in there will a pocket full of speed (adderalls). So the 3 of them were snorting adderall and drinking whiskey, and it turned into this 36 hour debacle where after the guy left, my 2 studio pals tweaked the fuck out in post production changing this and adjusting that. I guess the one tried to go home and go to sleep, but ended up just walking 5 miles back to the studio space (because he was drunk too and didn't want to drive), and fucking with it more until he passed out. I'm not sure if i ever heard the final product, but the performer walked away with something, i do know that.

they don't speak highly of the situation when they talk about it, its generally a "i can't believe we did that" in disgust kinda vibe.

i have a pal who i think lurks here that can chime in on this one since it involves him...
2 friends of mine briefly ran a small recording studio together. one of their clients was this country singer/song writter dude in his 30's. Dude thought he was johnny cash, rollin in there will a pocket full of speed (adderalls). So the 3 of them were snorting adderall and drinking whiskey, and it turned into this 36 hour debacle where after the guy left, my 2 studio pals tweaked the fuck out in post production changing this and adjusting that. I guess the one tried to go home and go to sleep, but ended up just walking 5 miles back to the studio space (because he was drunk too and didn't want to drive), and fucking with it more until he passed out. I'm not sure if i ever heard the final product, but the performer walked away with something, i do know that.

they don't speak highly of the situation when they talk about it, its generally a "i can't believe we did that" in disgust kinda vibe.
Yeah, I can't believe they recorded a country artist either.

Yeah, I can't believe they recorded a country artist either.
TBH... Paying customers are paying customers. The dude had his shit together with his music, drugs or not. Better than trying to do these wanna be gangster, rap guys who bring 5 assholes with them to make them feel important, or the young bands that can't even play their own songs and in fight over parts while on their own dime. I've seen worse sadly enough.

also as far as alcohol goes... leave it to the pros or leave it at home when you're recording. When i was in my 20's and drinking heavily and regularly, and able to metabolize it like an english rock star, i could generally get into the zone, and really perform well under the pressure of the red record light. Now a days after a few drinks, i can play, but i'm useless if i'm going for perfection. Coke and alcohol is no replacement for lack of practice, talent, song writing skills etc.

Last edited:
Some of the best parties I've ever attended were at Pat Travers house in Rosemont. In the middle of a blizzard, my friend Mark told Pat that he was working on an electric version of Beethoven's 5th for his demo... Pat ripped-off the idea for his Black Pearl album. Mark was pissed!

Never tried a binge like that that. Never actually did drugs other than try pot a few times. Wasn’t because I thought I was above it or anything. I knew they’d be good, I knew I’d feel great, knew I’d love it, millions of people can’t be wrong. That’s why I avoided it altogether.

Forget the Blow.. I wanna hear about your Spun out escapades on Meth..

71_midi.jpg

Back