Who's got the quad cortex?

And unless NDSP adds a lot more tweakability to the QC.

Here's a pretty nice clip of a PRS Archon.

Back to your statement. I 100% disagree. I expect the amp models to have the same tweakability as the amps themselves
and so far that's what I'm finding. The BE has the exact same knobs and switches as the analog amp - although it is
3 separate presets (clean, BE, HBE) - each mimics the amps controls.

What more would you want?

This is one of MANY I think we'll see over the next 6 months. If you go back and watch enough of the XXX vs XXX videos
from throughout the years, and tally the scores, everything becomes a wash after a while.
You may be missing the point, Donnie:

It was a blind A/B.
Tone and feel were scored.

In your case with your hearing loss, feel would still matter IMHO.

Here's a pretty nice clip of a PRS Archon.

Back to your statement. I 100% disagree. I expect the amp models to have the same tweakability as the amps themselves
and so far that's what I'm finding. The BE has the exact same knobs and switches as the analog amp - although it is
3 separate presets (clean, BE, HBE) - each mimics the amps controls.

What more would you want?

Well, a fully functioning unit with effects that back up their marketing for starters. :p

I heard that Archeon clip on TGP, that sounds fucking BADASS!!! Like I said, the captures all sound great. It's the modeling and effects that seem to have fallen short. Two guys who own the QC have compared it to an Atomic, which is not something I'd want to hear out of a $1600 modeler.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-modeling-update-cygnus.2224849/post-32375080
I'm drawn to modeling due to the ability to tweak the shit out of something and make it do exactly what I want, which is why I'm such a Fractal dork. If the QC is only going to do captures really well for $1600, it's going to be a long time before prices sink low enough to where I'd buy one. If I'm not going to have the tweakability close to a Fractal unit, those models and effects need to sound really fucking good.

It was a blind A/B.
Tone and feel were scored.

In your case with your hearing loss, feel would still matter IMHO.

I never said I had hearing loss. I spent 30 years in pro-audio and I'd put my ears up against anyone here.
I'm not a frequency analyzer though, which is almost what you'd need these days to quantify any differences
between units that weren't partially based on personal taste and/or inherent bias.

That test WAS NOT a blind A/B. Very far from it. Results still stand on their own though.

Last edited:
Two guys who own the QC have compared it to an Atomic, which is not something I'd want to hear out of a $1600 modeler.

No snark here at all, but I know two guys who say it's the king right now - of both modeling and profiles/captures.

Time will tell. Right now random opinions are flying around like CRAZY.
Just like with each of the major units that were released over the past few (20?) years.

Are far as recent goes, remember the first few weeks of both the Kemper Stage and then the FM3?
TGP was utterly insane both times!

I never said I had hearing loss. I spent 30 years in audio and I'd put my ears up against anyone here.
Sorry mate; I thought you did and that's why I suggested the feel factor might matter more to you.

You can't blame me 'though, considering the fact that you said this:

I'm almost 61 with natural hearing loss coupled with the damage done via gigging SPLs.
Natural loss plus high-SPL damage? Sounds like hearing loss to me, bro'.

Even if it's just a frequency-spectrum-perception change, that still amounts to loss, brother.

Even if it's just a frequency-spectrum-perception change, that still amounts to loss, brother.

Hyperbole bites me in the ass.
My ears are actually pretty sharp - the right one has lost a tiny bit of the higher end - I think from me always standing on the left of drummers.
Never used full stacks but cymbals are brutal.

I spent 11 years back east with a/d/s/ and then 22 out here working OEM for lots of the main players in Audio.
You wanna keep getting invited to all of the listening meetings* you better stay sharp with your aural opinions!

* a couple engineers, marketing and sales people, and a stuffed shirt or two. Lots of ego involved and a few
will argue over stupid shit that can't even be quantified in such a way to be proven either way.
The bonus usually includes everyone being treated to a nice lunch on the company.
That and it's an easy blow of a few hours.

I hear ya brother. As a bass player I always rehearsed with the drummer on my left so my high-end loss is greater on that side. Also placed my head too-close to my fave guitarist who I worked with's amp too many times, soaking up his great tones.

I can't hear anything above 11 or 12KHz but it doesn't worry me 'cause I still reckon I've got great ears and judgement. When mixing I simply leave the areas above 12KHz alone rather than risk hyping or removing them too-much.

Seems to work just-fine. There's too much messing about with the super-high end these days anyway I reckon.

Cliff Chase and Christophe Kemper better both start studying up on ergonomics for the 21st century
because after folks get to play with the QC I doubt they will ever again fork over $1,000+ for a Fractal
or Kemper type hardware system in their current forms.

Will review tones later since I've only been hanging on preset #001 all afternoon (a 2203 model).
The Kemper isn’t going anywhere. It’s still the best sounding digital option on the market. QC has a great form factor, but tone sells.

This sounds horrible. I hope this doesn't happen around these parts.

1. Go to TGP.
2. Click on the Digital Modelers section.
3. Start a new thread titled "Cygnus sounds good, but the GT-100 still sounds better."

After 24 hours post a link to the thread here (if that's not against rules).
Give everyone a heads up so we can make popcorn and grab a drink before reading.

You can really just pick any modeler thread over there and within about 6-10 posts you’ll eventually come across a modeler vs. modeler debate, but the Helix reigns supreme over there.

I’ve heard enough of the popular modelers to know they can all get within the ballpark of each other and I have no interest in the debate over which one is “better” than the other, at this point, it’s pretty much features/UI that differentiates them. I’ve covered my gripes with NDSP and the QC more than enough in here, but ultimately, I’m hoping it turns out to be as badass as they initially advertised because it’d be a blast to collect all my buddy’s amps in a pedal.

I never said I had hearing loss. I spent 30 years in pro-audio and I'd put my ears up against anyone here.
I'm not a frequency analyzer though, which is almost what you'd need these days to quantify any differences
between units that weren't partially based on personal taste and/or inherent bias.

That test WAS NOT a blind A/B. Very far from it. Results still stand on their own though.
Post 95 you say "I'm almost 61 with natural hearing loss coupled with the damage done via gigging SPLs."

Cant backtrack on what you freely posted. Its not hyperbole. Age along with gigging Super Lead Plexi amps. That's easily moderate to extreme hearing damage.

At the end of it all, you use what works for you and sounds the best. For some, there is no substitute for an amp. For others, a good modeller gets the job done. The main thing is that you write and record some music with it and have fun.

A few observations:
- the whole power up/power down/having to unplug the adapter for a full shutdown is wonky. This needs fixing.
- a few of the models are underwhelming. A bunch of them are stellar. I can't quit that 2203!
- the captures are mostly amazing. (some of the amps are out of my wheelhouse so I can't vouch for accuracy)
- the Bogner Uberschall would give @RevDrucifer instant wood. I'd bet money on it.

I'll say it again. As soon as most digital folks have a chance to spend a good hour with the QC they are going to
be bit hard by the entire UI ecosystem and will want one.

Last edited:
Back