Why aren't you people using the LYNCH MOD??

Yep, SD-1 stomps all over these silly things. I've tried attenuators and a ton of OD's and nothing is better with my 800.
Have you actually tried it? I'm gonna guess no. SD1 in front of a 2203/2204 is a classic combo, but stomps all over it is just a dumb statement.

I definitely understand some of your guy's viewpoints, but the hot and cold nature of this forum is so fucking weird sometimes.

If you want more gain from your 800 WITHOUT a pedal, this is the absolute best method without modification. It is ALL TUBE gain as well, something the internet shits it's entire collection of pants over.

Putting a pedal in front of the amp IS NOT doing the same thing as this mod. At all. Hitting and compressing the front end of an amp with diodes and output is not the same as adding all tube gain stages to the existing signal path.

The newest versions also have more/less gain and bass switches, so the low end and amount of gain added can be tweaked a good bit.

I have the Lynch, and 2 Hot Mod V2's for my JMP 2203, JCM 800 2204 and SC20. These amps stock are incredible, but for my needs, the Hot Mod plus a boost out front (I boost everything to add my own flavor, and I prefer the feel) turns these amps into tight, articulate, punchy, fire breathing monsters with no tech or butchering of the amp needed. They also are extremely snug inside the tube sockets (actually kid of tough to install the first time, such a tight fit) PLUS you have the L-Bracket and thumb screw to secure it to the tube shield base. Put it in right, it's not moving a hair.

I just got the standard latest version {not Lynch} for a 71 Super Bass. This one has a bass cut or boost and high gain or lower gain. You can put 10 different pedals in front of the amp and the reaction with this is very different, plus this adds almost no extra noise. I use it with an attenuator and it really sounds great. Really tightens up the amp and adds just enough hair to have enough gain to be usable for rock tones. Throw a pedal in front and now you have enough gain for metal.

I was pretty skeptical about this, but its surprisingly good and no mods to the amp, which is the whole reason I bought it.
With the side set screw it does not move around, is tight in the socket and the clip, once clipped, is nice and tight. I would probably check it before a gig, but I doubt it would come off without some force, or a shitty grab to begin with. I Have already moved the amp around and brought it to a few different places with no issues. For this particular amp, and for $199, I am pretty happy with it.
Does your SuperBass have a Master mod to it?
Because if it’s totally stock ie you are blending the 2 channel volumes I’d be interested in trying the newer version. The original V2 did not work well with my 72.

What I did like about the Lynch Mod though (as some briefly said above) is that it had tons of gain yet no noticeable noise, I literally used it with the gain knob 9/10

Does your SuperBass have a Master mod to it?
Because if it’s totally stock ie you are blending the 2 channel volumes I’d be interested in trying the newer version. The original V2 did not work well with my 72.
No master.. completely stock except for the chord. I do use it with an attenuator cause as you know...its paint peeling loud! LOL .
I dont jump channels cause this thing has a ton of bass right from the start and is flubby and farty until the speakers start working pretty hard. Again, nothing much different than any stock NMV early Marshall. This new version has a bass cut/boost and low/high gain toggle. For this amp the bass cut works great and I prefer the high gain switch, but with the Super Bass it doesnt have as much gain as the Lead spec, so the higher gain just works.

As far as using pedals vs. this Mod.... This sounds way more natural than a boost and without any added noise. What it did for this amp is It tightened up the bottom, gave me more gain, and really brought the amp to life. It wont give ya the same amount of gain as most pedals, but every bit it gives you is usable. Put it this way.. when ya do use a pedal with it they work really well together and if ya hate it... it is returnable. Hope that helps.

Yep, SD-1 stomps all over these silly things. I've tried attenuators and a ton of OD's and nothing is better with my 800.
Ah, not really. I have the Hot Mod V2 in my 2204. I have used an SD-1 for years and still do. The Hot Mod retains the natural bottom end of the amp and adds more of everything good about the JCM800. The SD-1 takes away bottom end and doesn't hold together as well as the V2. My guess is you haven't actually tried one.

No master.. completely stock except for the chord. I do use it with an attenuator cause as you know...its paint peeling loud! LOL .
I dont jump channels cause this thing has a ton of bass right from the start and is flubby and farty until the speakers start working pretty hard. Again, nothing much different than any stock NMV early Marshall. This new version has a bass cut/boost and low/high gain toggle. For this amp the bass cut works great and I prefer the high gain switch, but with the Super Bass it doesnt have as much gain as the Lead spec, so the higher gain just works.

As far as using pedals vs. this Mod.... This sounds way more natural than a boost and without any added noise. What it did for this amp is It tightened up the bottom, gave me more gain, and really brought the amp to life. It wont give ya the same amount of gain as most pedals, but every bit it gives you is usable. Put it this way.. when ya do use a pedal with it they work really well together and if ya hate it... it is returnable. Hope that helps.
Thanks. David is a good seller; great communication too. I may have to try this version then. My Tremolo is very similar to your SB in that it is a clean tone that won’t distort like a Superlead will..my 2 boost pedals work great but it would be nice to only use one with it.

v2 vs Lynchmod tonewise?
From what I recall David telling me, the Lynch mod has slightly more bass in both settings on the bass switch, and the gain amount is the same, but can be controlled via a pot instead of a 2 setting switch, giving you more fine tuning capability over the amount of gain used.

As far as voicing, they should be basically the same. The slight bass increase in the Lynch mod may sound slightly darker, but I honestly didn't notice a difference.

The pricing difference has to do with 2 things.
#1 - The Lynch Mod was Hand Wired, whereas the Hot Mod V2 EVO is on a quality PCB. therefore requiring much less assembly time on David's part (he builds each and every one himself)
#2 - Lynch's name is on it, so naturally, he gets a cut for each one sold.

Other than that, there is no difference in quality and no major noticeable differences in sound, other than the bass, which again, is small in my experience.

Here are 2 videos I did, one with each:

Too much marketing in tone.
JMP w/a boost is easy-peasy.
Buts it not though. Its like a modded JMP, without cutting up the original circuit. Most boosts remove bass where as this doesnt, unless you want it to. Plus no noise like a boost would add.

Jmp with a boost doesn't get you into modern high gain territory.

Depends who you ask.
7.9 billion people in the world.
thats 15.8 billion ears that all hear the same thing different.
That guns vid just sounds like a buzz saw to me.
Maybe it sounds better @ 50% volume up idk.
As far as a JMP w/a boost most R&R Hall of Fame/Grammy winning music of all time have that combination of some sort.
I don't ever want all my gain from the amp.
I set the preamp 1/2 way up and slam it w/a pedal.
Love the way it pops.

Last edited:
Depends who you ask.
7.9 billion people in the world.
thats 15.8 billion ears that all hear the same thing different.
That guns vid just sounds like a buzz saw to me.
Maybe it sounds better @ 50% volume up idk.
As far as a JMP w/a boost most R&R Hall of Fame/Grammy winning music of all time have that combination of some sort.
I don't ever want all my gain from the amp.
I set the preamp 1/2 way up and slam it w/a pedal.
Love the way it pops.
I'm super happy for you. Also, I'm not talking about grammy winning rock and roll artists. I'm talking about modern metal.

There is a reason that the 1959 SLP and JCM 800 have been and continue to be the #1 modded platform for years. They have an absolutely incredible base tone, but many players find they want more gain out of the amp, even with a pedal in front and hot pickups. They do not have a lot of gain inherently, and most modded Marshall style amps have much more gain on tap than a stock version of what it's modeled after.

This simple device plugs in and adds all tube gain. A little, or a lot, depending on how you set it. I'm not sure why this has generated so many snarky comments from forum bros, as this device is literally nothing but fantastic for those of us with vintage Marshall amps that don't want to bastardize them for a little more gain and compression or bass response.

If you're happy with an SD1, that's great. I'm not sure what that has to do with this device, as it's not a pedal, or even diode based circuit. It's something totally different, and doesn't apply to you if you're happy with your current tone out of your JMP. Just like you said, everyone hears things differently, and thankfully, there is more than one tool for a job.

Jmp with a boost doesn't get you into modern high gain territory.
It does easily if you run the master up and back the preamp off to control the mush. Then you hit the boost on top and it is right there no problem and will be similar to what you are getting with this. Some 800's also do it with a boost. My 82 is a bit of a dog gain wise but has zero issue with an OD-1 or SD-1 goosing it. Just comes alive.

That said, I liked what I heard in your demos but I also think i see why all these guys with modded Marshalls STILL hit the front end with a slight OD boost to tighten it all up. Still cool and natural sounding though. Had the original and it was way too much. This seems more usable.

I'm super happy for you. Also, I'm not talking about grammy winning rock and roll artists. I'm talking about modern metal.

There is a reason that the 1959 SLP and JCM 800 have been and continue to be the #1 modded platform for years. They have an absolutely incredible base tone, but many players find they want more gain out of the amp, even with a pedal in front and hot pickups. They do not have a lot of gain inherently, and most modded Marshall style amps have much more gain on tap than a stock version of what it's modeled after.

This simple device plugs in and adds all tube gain. A little, or a lot, depending on how you set it. I'm not sure why this has generated so many snarky comments from forum bros, as this device is literally nothing but fantastic for those of us with vintage Marshall amps that don't want to bastardize them for a little more gain and compression or bass response.

If you're happy with an SD1, that's great. I'm not sure what that has to do with this device, as it's not a pedal, or even diode based circuit. It's something totally different, and doesn't apply to you if you're happy with your current tone out of your JMP. Just like you said, everyone hears things differently, and thankfully, there is more than one tool for a job.
I have a modded JMP with more gain than i'll ever use but still prefer to back off amp gain & slam it w/a pedal and so do you as im subscribed to your YT channel and many of your vids do the same.
LM & HM are just tools in the toolbox they're not the end all/be all thats all im saying.

It does easily if you run the master up and back the preamp off to control the mush. Then you hit the boost on top and it is right there no problem and will be similar to what you are getting with this. Some 800's also do it with a boost. My 82 is a bit of a dog gain wise but has zero issue with an OD-1 or SD-1 goosing it. Just comes alive.

That said, I liked what I heard in your demos but I also think i see why all these guys with modded Marshalls STILL hit the front end with a slight OD boost to tighten it all up. Still cool and natural sounding though. Had the original and it was way too much. This seems more usable.
I gotta say, I don't agree with this, still. Kerry King hit his 800 with a Tube Screamer and a 10 band EQ and his tones were still fairly dry in comparison to modern tones.

I get told on my Youtube videos all the time I need to use MORE gain, but I disagree with the guys who say that as too much gain muddies things up, especially in a mix. In saying that, a stock 2203/2204 isn't enough for me with an SD1 or TS9 out front for my tastes, which is sort of modern thrash and 90's hardcore/crossover stuff.

To each their own, and I respect your guys' opinions, I just can't say that I feel the same about the level of gain these amps can achieve, stock, with a boost out front.

Back