With the 80's rockers being 60's/70's/80's yrs old where is music going ?

Will check these out. Teenage Wrist up to Counting Flies EP/Kam leaving is great 90’s rock. Marshall and Tony are keeping the name going forward but Lam’s new Heavenward is og TW.

yeah definitely check out the new Nothing, they are like a grittier teenage wrist. they are actually on each others "fans also like" list looking at spotify now. thats what makes spotify so great, you find one band you like and spotify will find other bands for you

yeah definitely check out the new Nothing, they are like a grittier teenage wrist. they are actually on each others "fans also like" list looking at spotify now. thats what makes spotify so great, you find one band you like and spotify will find other bands for you
Tidal does this too, the mix feature is legit+studio master HiFi files.

Tool
Mastodon
Slipknot
Ghost
Foo Fighters
Five Finger Death Punch
Rammstein
Red Fang
Korn
Ministry
The Black Dahlia Murder
Avenged Sevenfold
Moonspell
Rob Zombie
Arch Enemy
Chevelle
Mudvayne
The Sword
IMO, all of the above bands suck shit through a wet rag. I use to dig Ministry back in the late 80's, but that's when we were doing "trips".

I think with the way they produce music now, especially pop, hip hop and even metal it just doesn’t sound like human beings made it as a pulsing, living thing. Sure a human pulled up the sample library and chose and edited it, a human loaded up Steven Slate and built or found a midi file and chose a kit and some human gets to scream badly or mumble ironically into a mic….but it just sounds so mechanical. It doesn’t strike you in your gut amd make you feel anything. Sure you might bob your head a little, as an almost, involuntary reflex but it’s not doing anything for your brain or soul.

Last edited:
I miss the older days of people playing their amps and drums with what they felt on the day, slight adjustments to amp settings and drum sounds for each song made it feel more human and less quantised and cut/copy as it seems now. It feels like they choose their tones for the whole album and the album ends up sounding the same palette with subtle tempo changes between songs. The same old producers and mixers like Sneap don't help the matter. Puppets and Justice come to mind wrt to changing amp settings for each song. It's a subtle difference and they still sound like themselves, but its enough to make it interesting for my ear. More in studio performance than a song assembly paint by numbers.

So what do you suggest doesn't?
The list is too extensive to post. Rock/metal prior to 1984 is where my musical interest resides. There were a handful of great bands afterwards, but 1984 is when the downward slide began. By 1989, you couldn't hear a pop song that didn't invoke the imagery of some uber-ghay MTV video production. The only rock/metal bands that I would have the desire to see these days... MSG and Iron Maiden. I'd rather listen to 70's disco music vs what's been passed as rock and metal over the last three decades. The scorn that disco music received was (IMO) undeserved. Yeah, much of it was crap, but much of it wasn't. From 1922 to 1984 = 62 years of incredible compositions to pull from.

I may be full of shit here. You be the judge...
IMO, great rock/metal guitar tones took a nose-dive with the implementation of the MV and effects loop. The most iconic guitar tones ever recorded (IMO) were played through non MV amplifiers. Marshall, VOX and Fender tweeds, mainly. I'll take a great VOX and/or Marshall plexi (with appropriate boost pedals) over MV. There are several builders who have implemented the MV circuit tastefully. Boogie and Wizard come to mind. Marshall JCM800 (including Silver Jubilee) are great MV amplifiers; as are Fender Pro-Sonic and Soldano HR series amplifiers. The SLO100 has a great MV, as long as you replace V2 with a quality black-plate 5751 tube.

I think with the way they produce music now, especially pop, hip hop and even metal it just doesn’t sound like human beings made it as a pulsing living thing. Sure a human pulled up the sample library and chose and edited it, a human loaded up Steven Slate and built or found a midi file and chose a kit and some human gets to scream badly or mumble ironically into a mic….but it just sounds so mechanical. It doesn’t strike you in your gut amd make you feel anything. Sure you might bob your head a little as an almost, involuntary reflex but it’s not doing anything for your brain or soul.
Digital cannot reproduce the harmonics that the ears cannot hear, but the body does. Like seeing with one eye... Lacks dimension.

Back