Your favorite current production wah?

Modded my bad horsie to change the sweep and frequencies, like it a lot more now. Of course, I'm using the wah built into the kemper, and you can modify the settings pretty easily and it's true true bypass :D

For you wah guys who hate the bypassed sound - build a bypass box. Cost you $35ish in materials for a nice painted enclosure and a good 3pDT switch (so you have have it light when active).

I'd have to divide my answer into several areas. As far as production stuff goes, I'd have to say it's a toss up between the Dunlop 535Q and Dime wahs. They both offer a wide range of tones/features and you can pretty much always dial in what you're looking for. I've owned high end wahs, custom wahs, one off pieces, etc and pretty much always come back to a nice basic crybaby, but beefed up.

I love the rackmount Dunlop stuff too. I think the 2SR is one of THE best pieces out there. The combo of the tweaked ranges, Q, adjusted EQ, and different (from the 1SR) inductor and pot makes for one hell of a wah machine.

Of course if we are talking not currently in production, the EMB Audio stuff will always still be a favorite of mine and while it's possible of getting some crazy cool sounds, its not everyone's cup of tea.

-Custom Audio Electronics MC404
- RMC 8

still got a soft spot for my old school standard crybaby that's 20years old though!

CAE MC-404. Great sweep. Lots of versatility. Doesn't mess with your tone.

I don't mind the Dunlop 535Q (in one or two positions), but I prefer the CAE.

wolf5150":1sok8ld0 said:
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe
end of search.
Have to agree with this 100% I demo'd a number of wahs, and although a lot of them sounded great, none of them sounded like the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe. I love the honk and sweep and semi-cocked tones - also great for transparency when bypassed.

CryBabyregRackModule-11.png

Wilson 12 position vintage spec rippah wah

can do colorsound, crybaby, clyde mccoy, etc..have a fulltone clyde deluxe as well, but this is better.

yngzaklynch":288xr2s4 said:
Mike you're welcome to barrow my old Budda Wah if you want. I've had it since...???...1999?????

Thanks man, I will keep you posted. It's too bad they still don't make them in that old style. The new ones are fugly!

Right now the MXR/CAE is looking good because of the flexibility in the tone and the boost was something I was thinking about getting separately anyway. I've had the 401 boost before and it was cool.

Back in the day before everybody and their brother had a custom voiced wah, many sounds now referred to as classic were made whatever CryBaby they had out at the time. If you are looking to save money I would just get a new pot for yours.

ratter":ppnp207t said:
yngzaklynch":ppnp207t said:
Mike you're welcome to barrow my old Budda Wah if you want. I've had it since...???...1999?????

Thanks man, I will keep you posted. It's too bad they still don't make them in that old style. The new ones are fugly!
The new ones are Peavey aren't they???? I might pick up a Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah.

se7en":2ddf25rk said:

can do colorsound, crybaby, clyde mccoy, etc..have a fulltone clyde deluxe as well, but this is better.
I agree. Best wah I've owned so far.

stratotone":1ykp099c said:
Modded my bad horsie to change the sweep and frequencies, like it a lot more now. Of course, I'm using the wah built into the kemper, and you can modify the settings pretty easily and it's true true bypass :D

For you wah guys who hate the bypassed sound - build a bypass box. Cost you $35ish in materials for a nice painted enclosure and a good 3pDT switch (so you have have it light when active).

What did you do to it; change the cardboard screen thingie ?

Giga

Anyone use the G Lab MIDI wah? If I'm understanding what it does, sure would be nice to instantly switch wah settings when I switch channels.

gbsmusic":34t6bjzr said:
se7en":34t6bjzr said:

I agree. Best wah I've owned so far.

With that avatar, I will agree with anything you have to say...

I'm using the EVH. Definitely the opposite of transparent but when I listen back to desk recordings it sounds better in the mix than it does on stage.

Anyway the only reason it stays on my board is because it has cool yellow stripes ;)

Back