Your favorite SD bucker in an HSS strat?

ratter

What's your favorite Duncan humbucker in an HSS strat, and why?

Looking for something on the vintage-y side, paired up with APS-1 singles...

I'm a motor city fool now, but as far as SDs were considered, I say the custom-custom or the parallele-axis trembuckers were pretty slick too
-Brent

Vrad":9bivefbx said:
Does it HAVE to be a duncan? My fave is the 36th anniverary Dimarzio.

Doesn't have to be but I already got the singles and I'm a little OCD about matching brands...

ratter":1spfkfbx said:
Vrad":1spfkfbx said:

Doesn't have to be but I already got the singles and I'm a little OCD about matching brands...
If it's a Duncan (I've never tried it but) I would try the Custom Custom, 78, or whatever they're calling it now. :D

ratter":247n3slm said:
Vrad":247n3slm said:

I guess you try the '59 or a Seth Lover. I haven't tried the '59 in the bridge so I can't comment. I can tell you the 36th anniversary fucking rules though... LOL! :D

Just for fun (and because it was the only remaining humbucker not being used), I recently slapped a JB in my old Jap Strat (w/250k pots, basswood) and was shocked at how cool it sounded. Not getting great high gain stuff that way, but damn if the bluesy, straty tones don't sound really nice.

The 36th Anny, has anyone tried it with a stock strat/250k vol pots? I'm sure it's great with 500k, pretty sure that's the way the few clips I've heard here were done. I'm looking for a great HB bridge pickup for my SSH strat but have no desire to futz with volume pot swapping and so on, creating another super strat - this guitar is staying 'strat like', lol. Please tell me the 36th would be great with 250k.

TIBrent":3f1hn71u said:
I'm a motor city fool now, but as far as SDs were considered, I say the custom-custom or the parallele-axis trembuckers were pretty slick too
-Brent

Yeah, I am a huge fan of Wade's stuff too. But if it HAD to be a SD, my new favorite that beats out any other pup that SD has ever done, is a JB with an A2 mag switched into it. Actually, I think Duncan did do this combo as a limited run of the DeMartini pickups.....the RTM, or something.

Vrad":3vxcomh8 said:

I just bought a 36th. Looking forward to getting it installed and checking it out. The clips I've heard sound great. Going to be using it with the Area 58 and 67 singles.

OUTLAW1969":rlxu31rd said:
TIBrent":rlxu31rd said:
-Brent

Yeah, I am a huge fan of Wade's stuff too. But if it HAD to be a SD, my new favorite that beats out any other pup that SD has ever done, is a JB with an A2 mag switched into it. Actually, I think Duncan did do this combo as a limited run of the DeMartini pickups.....the RTM, or something.
Oh yeah, I checked one of those out awhile back, had a similar style to the jb, but a bit more output & a bigger overall sound. I would say that would be a good choice too if you like higher gain situations.
-Brent

All I use is Strats and my fav humbucker is the Suhr Aldrich.
I do want to try a Painkiller though if anyone wants to trade for an extra Aldrich I have sitting here!

Back