New to me Small Box - Small problem - where to start?

Rango

Not new to Friedmans, I've had two BE100's (simple clean and '15) and a BE50 Deluxe... Not in a band after moving to Texas from Kalifornia. Sold all my amps but a Champ before the move. Small Box popped up locally, guy didn't know much about the tube history on it so I figured I might need a set and that was factored into the price. ;)

Got it home a week ago and it sounds GLORIOUS. :rock: But it seems like they always sound best right before they blow up! :LOL: :LOL:

I was playing along on the gain channel this morning and a few minutes in right in the middle of a riff, I heard the volume drop a bit. Checked to see if I'd bumped the volume knob on the guitar. Just a few db down and maybe a little loss of gain. :confused: Played along and it keep playing along okay just at that slightly reduced volume level. When to standby for a few minutes and when I came back all seemed fine. Then after a minute or so it did it again...

Figure it's a tube going and wondering where to start swapping to see if I can isolate the bad one. I've swapped tubes and biased my old BE100's with Dave's help and bias recommendations. It will still turn up loud, which makes me think it's a preamp tube not a power tube? Before COVID I was flying back to Cali once a month for work, I'd have just brought it to the shop and let Dave work his magic... Maybe add the Wildwood mod. :thumbsup:

But for now I'm going to have to figure it out or do without... Thoughts? :)

LP Freak":vhbbp9tl said:
You’re on the right track, start swapping out preamp tubes.

I downloaded the manual but there's not a tube diagram. Hoping to find one, just so I know what's where instead of guessing. ;)

Man I've missed having a great amp! :rock: Had a Tele in Open G playing Stones, Black Crows and ZZ Top all afternoon. :rock: :rock: :thumbsup:

Not yet. :confused: I still need to find a tube diagram. And I can't find my tube stash, looks like they got lost in the move from California. I'll need to find a set of tubes and order. I've run JJ's from Eurotube before, but reading everything here sounds like I need one JJ and the rest "Chinese". I haven't really kept on on tube manufacturing, so I don't know what brand for the rest? ;)

For now, I've been playing along, if it smokes one.... It will make the trouble shooting easier! :LOL: :LOL: LOL!!!

Rango":rqd7ndbr said:
Not yet. :confused: I still need to find a tube diagram. And I can't find my tube stash, looks like they got lost in the move from California. I'll need to find a set of tubes and order. I've run JJ's from Eurotube before, but reading everything here sounds like I need one JJ and the rest "Chinese". I haven't really kept on on tube manufacturing, so I don't know what brand for the rest? ;)

For now, I've been playing along, if it smokes one.... It will make the trouble shooting easier! :LOL: :LOL: LOL!!!

Smallbox owner here.

So far I've had 2 tube failures.

Phase inverter (12ax7)

Power tube. (EL34)

Boutique Amp Distribution/Dave Friedman make quality stuff.

There was a rash of crappy JJ tubes. Not sure what he is using now.

Although it was overkill, I replaced all in my SB with TAD branded tubes.

JJ's have been hit and miss for Friedman. Not their fault.

You might consider dropping Dave a line for his thoughts on the matter,

I went through some faulty TAD EL34B-STR Tubes, two sets for my BE-100 then they blew the input capacitor causing a "hum", Dave took care of the problem, replacing component & a new set of "EH" EL34 which have been working out Great for the last five years.
For Preamp tubes Dave suggested Tung-Sol V1&V2, Ruby 12AX7HG V3&V4, so far for 5yrs working & sounding great. I've also tried JJ ECC83's which sound more aggressive and not as Round/Full as the Tung-Sol. The JJ E34L sounded pretty good, but I like the EH more.

Dave is awesome at what will and won't work, after Modifying my BE-100 here and there the amp has been as flawless as can be......

Rango":3txlqhrs said:

Did you contact Dave?

Del Rei":2z40xvhq said:
Rango":2z40xvhq said:

Did you contact Dave?

Truthfully, I was hoping he would chime in here. ;) But I have his email... I'll reach out. I was sort of hoping the "tribe" here would help me sort it so I didn't have to bother Dave. :confused:

Back