Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Fri, Oct 18, 2019 2:46am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue, May 28, 2019 12:28pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Are you human?: 951
I'm very interested in ordering a Luxxtone but need some more information before doin so. As Luxxtone can't be tried before buy in EU it's like buying the pig in the sack...and when paying about $4700-4900 including shipping and taxes in Sweden it's a really hard decision.
So what I 'd like to know is how it compares to Tom Anderson and Suhr reguarding the feel of playing t he guitar. I understand it's the same quality, but how would you describe the feel of actually playing the guitar?

PostPosted: Tue, May 28, 2019 12:39pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

posting for interest

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 08, 2019 6:06am 
Apprentice NOOB

Also interested...

Cabs: Soldano 4X12 (Eminence Legends), Soldano 2x12 (UK V30s), Marshall 1960a (UK V30s)
Other: OX Top Box, Too many pedals to list (always switching and trying new things)

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 08, 2019 9:27am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Talk to us about these amazing guitars! Are they really that amazing?

:yes:

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 08, 2019 11:38am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I played a used luxxtone Tele in Chicago. It felt on par with Charvel USA from a quality standpoint. Suhr/ Anderson/ Tyler are a different vibe of guitar. FWIW

TC Electronic BG250
(2) Randall RM100's

Salvation MTS mods- Rockerverb, Mesa Mark IV, CCV, Ultra XL
Kemper

Peace & ZEN

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 08, 2019 7:14pm 
Apprentice NOOB

the rossness wrote:
I played a used luxxtone Tele in Chicago. It felt on par with Charvel USA from a quality standpoint. Suhr/ Anderson/ Tyler are a different vibe of guitar. FWIW

When you mean suhr / Anderson / Tyler are a different vibe of guitar..
Do you also mean they feel superior?

That's a bit of a bummer, I mean "on par with Charvel USA" and not custom shop... ?

Cheers!

Cabs: Soldano 4X12 (Eminence Legends), Soldano 2x12 (UK V30s), Marshall 1960a (UK V30s)
Other: OX Top Box, Too many pedals to list (always switching and trying new things)

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 09, 2019 4:26pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

sluice wrote:
the rossness wrote:

When you mean suhr / Anderson / Tyler are a different vibe of guitar..
Do you also mean they feel superior?

That's a bit of a bummer, I mean "on par with Charvel USA" and not custom shop... ?

Cheers!

USA is custom shop ;)

and the entire vibe is just different to what Anderson and Suhr are. Its like comparing a custom shop fender to a custom BC rich to a Baker, they each have a different vibe. Luxxtone compares most easily to charvel.

TC Electronic BG250
(2) Randall RM100's

Salvation MTS mods- Rockerverb, Mesa Mark IV, CCV, Ultra XL
Kemper

Peace & ZEN

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 09, 2019 9:15pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Awesome!

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 10, 2019 3:58am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I have had 3 Andersons (one classic, one Drop Top and a Cobra) over the years and also 3 Machetes with different setups. To me (!) they feel, look and sound very different. Both brands are outstanding and custom builders I'm sure they can build you anything you want. So all that I say is more related to the 6 guitars I had and possibly not to the brand.

Tom Andersons are perfect modern guitars. Optimized to the max. Build in perfection. Everything is very well balanced. Each tone, each string sound perfect, etc. The guitars feel like they are machine produced (I mean that in a good way) as they are perfect in every aspect.

The Luxxtones I have/had are all perfect rock machines. They sound and feel very organic. The pickups are probably the best I ever played. Really they are amazing! The guitars clean up perfectly. With my Machete and a good amp, I can do (with the volume pot and a HS setup) everything from Hendrix to Lynch/Jake E Lee/Van Halen in perfection. They feel like perfectly done hand made guitars. (keep in mind I only have experience with Machetes, can't comment on their other models at all; some of the things I like might also be a testament to the Machete model). The necks feel amazing (esp the oiled). All three I had were very different sizes, but everyone was outstanding. And of course, the looks are very special too!

Be warned, stupid car metaphor, but it's so hard to describe different feels: If you prefer something perfectly clean and optimized like an Audi, go for the Tom Anderson. If you love the rawness, aesthetics, feel and power of an old Mustang, go with the Luxxtone.

It all comes down to a matter of preferences in my opinion, neither is better than the other. Both are absolutely highest end guitars and you can't go wrong with either. Both builders are amazing to deal with too btw.

My personal #1 guitar is a Luxxtones and it let's all my other guitars collect dust or been sold. For me the perfect guitar! But again: that is a matter of preferences and taste.

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 10, 2019 5:47am 
Apprentice NOOB

Alex_S wrote:
I have had 3 Andersons (one classic, one Drop Top and a Cobra) over the years and also 3 Machetes with different setups. To me (!) they feel, look and sound very different. Both brands are outstanding and custom builders I'm sure they can build you anything you want. So all that I say is more related to the 6 guitars I had and possibly not to the brand.

Tom Andersons are perfect modern guitars. Optimized to the max. Build in perfection. Everything is very well balanced. Each tone, each string sound perfect, etc. The guitars feel like they are machine produced (I mean that in a good way) as they are perfect in every aspect.

The Luxxtones I have/had are all perfect rock machines. They sound and feel very organic. The pickups are probably the best I ever played. Really they are amazing! The guitars clean up perfectly. With my Machete and a good amp, I can do (with the volume pot and a HS setup) everything from Hendrix to Lynch/Jake E Lee/Van Halen in perfection. They feel like perfectly done hand made guitars. (keep in mind I only have experience with Machetes, can't comment on their other models at all; some of the things I like might also be a testament to the Machete model). The necks feel amazing (esp the oiled). All three I had were very different sizes, but everyone was outstanding. And of course, the looks are very special too!

Be warned, stupid car metaphor, but it's so hard to describe different feels: If you prefer something perfectly clean and optimized like an Audi, go for the Tom Anderson. If you love the rawness, aesthetics, feel and power of an old Mustang, go with the Luxxtone.

It all comes down to a matter of preferences in my opinion, neither is better than the other. Both are absolutely highest end guitars and you can't go wrong with either. Both builders are amazing to deal with too btw.

My personal #1 guitar is a Luxxtones and it let's all my other guitars collect dust or been sold. For me the perfect guitar! But again: that is a matter of preferences and taste.

Amazing stuff man :rock:
Thanks a lot for sharing!

Can't wait to receive my Luxxtone!

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 10, 2019 11:08am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

sluice wrote:
Alex_S wrote:

You ordered one? Great! You will love it, I'm sure!

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 10, 2019 12:33pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Alex_S wrote:
sluice wrote:
Alex_S wrote:

You ordered one? Great! You will love it, I'm sure!

I bought Mike's one (Zuel69) that was for sale on this forum!

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 11, 2019 11:45pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Wow, looks great. Will look up the specs later. Congratulations, cool looking axe for sure!

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 12, 2019 6:35am 
Apprentice NOOB

Alex_S wrote:
Wow, looks great. Will look up the specs later. Congratulations, cool looking axe for sure!

Thanks. Might post a review to help future Luxxtone owner, since it's so hard to find information on them!

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 13, 2019 2:29pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

sluice wrote:
Alex_S wrote:

Thanks. Might post a review to help future Luxxtone owner, since it's so hard to find information on them!

That would be cool. Looking forward to read it!

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 18, 2019 9:52am 
Hack

I'd say Charvel custom shop

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 18, 2019 2:31pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I totally agree with Alex_S in his assessment. I am waiting on delivery of my 4th Luxxtone but I have owned them all. To me Luxxtones are closer to Charvels than Anderson / Suhr. I love his relic jobs and they look absolutely killer to me. Price point is largely the same I think although Suhr / Anderson can get pretty high when you add all the options. At this point in my life I like simpler rock n roll machines like this one. Image

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 21, 2019 4:03pm 
Supah Stah

FWIW I own 2 custom Suhr Moderns, 2 Tom Andersons (drop top and pro am) and 3 Luxxtone El Machetes.