Doug Aldrich modded JMP's.

charveldan

Banned
DArig.jpg

Does anyone know who did the mods on Dougs JMP's?

glip22":2xs8htqc said:
John Suhr

Hmmm... I always thought that it was Cameron for Aldrich and Suhr for Reb Beach... but hey, I lost track... LOL! :D
He's playing stock VM's now :LOL: :LOL:

John Suhr did the original then Martin Golub did his take on the design (Its the Lead Mod. He now works for LA Sound Design), when he worked with Custom Audio. These 2 are almost identical designs

And Doug also plays some Cameron modded Marshalls...

his rhythm tone is the suhr modded jmp (like an OD100/3+SE lead circuit)
lead tone is the cameron
I thought the amps were mixed, but he says he literally switches amps live (through the same cabs)

Dan will be in here soon if he sees this. He pretty much knows the entire Aldrich rundown over the years.

I saw a rig interview he gave, and he said his Marshall was moddified by Bob Bradshaw...

Roid RAGE

It's a combination of Suhr modded Marshalls, Golub modded Marshalls and Cameron modded Marshalls in Doug's live rig. He switches things up all the time, most likely because he probably favors whichever amp has the freshest tubes at the time etc.

All the amps are hooked up to a Wet/Dry/Wet setup, which adds a crazy amount of overall width to the tone. That's why his tone always sounds so big!

Keep in mind, he uses the Furman PQ-3 into the front end, with every amp. The Furman completely re-shapes the guitars tone, which has a dramatic effect on the overall tone.

He also uses his Majik Box Rocket Fuel pedal as a boost too, before that he used to often use a Fulltone FullDrive II pedal a lot.

So in essence, what you're hearing is not the modded amp's tone alone. Trust me, i had both the Golub mod and the Cameron mods, and without using the PQ-3 and the Wet/Dry/Wet setup....you're only half way there tonewise.

Hope this helps :rock:

I remember reading recently that his albums tones are mostly the suhr JMP and that he sets that amp differently for the leads, and that's why he has the cameron at stage for the solos

ericsabbath":24dnizur said:
I remember reading recently that his albums tones are mostly the suhr JMP and that he sets that amp differently for the leads, and that's why he has the cameron at stage for the solos

Actually the Cameron stuff hasn't been in Doug's rack for a while now. I have some pics showing only his Suhr and Golub JMP's (which are the exact same mod) and just a Vintage Modern. No Cameron's in sight.

He uses different boosts into the JMP's for different lead settings. He even has one setting where he has both a Furman PQ-3 and a BOSS DS-1 on at the same time, boosting the JMP into insane gain!

Doug's Cameron tone is more apparent on the Burning Rain CD's and also the DIO - Killing the Dragon album. The Cameron tone isn't as fat and it more percussive and biting.
That tone is nothing like Doug's main Suhr/Golub tone, which you can hear on the Whitesnake - Good To Be Bad record. The Suhr and Golub mod tone is more of a thicker, fatter tone. It isn't anywhere near as percussive/biting as the Cameron. It's just a very different tone altogether.

jerrydyer":2ggcbja1 said:
is that a Standel I see there?

Yup i'm pretty sure that's one that Mark built for Doug :thumbsup: He used it on the Dio tour, but i don't think it was brought out on any of the Whitesnake tours.

I think Mark said Doug used it on 'Man On A Silver Mountain' and some of the other old school songs in the set etc.

I know everyone will chime in with the different amps, etc. Doug has used. I will say one thing. I played a friend's Cameron-modded (Aldrich) Marshall several years ago and it sounded identical to the tone on the DIO Live in NYC DVD. I loved the tone so much that I begged him to let me buy it from him. I wasn't even playing thru a Suhr-pickup equipped guitar at the time. I can't imagine how killer that would sound.

With that said, I really love the tones I'm getting with my Friedman-modded Marshall. :thumbsup:

Back